furry arts discussion > furry storytelling

Using your sona in a story

<< < (3/3)

Iara Warriorfeather:

--- Quote from: Sither on September 09, 2017, 01:10:31 pm ---Relatively new writer here  wondering if anyone has used their fursona in a story? I have been wanting to do something completely original as most of my works are based off or continuations of a movie. I was thinking something with space as I am fascinated with it and well Sither is from space I think it may be a cool idea. Just wondering thoughts on this an would he still be considered a fursona or more of a muse at that point? 

--- End quote ---

My fursonas feature often in my stories. They each represent different parts of me.

Some furry writers prefer to use different characters in their stories, especially during low points in their lives. Or maybe those writers do not have a fursona.

In any case, I'd do as Varg suggested--write, write and write some more! Practice telling a story about your fursona(s). Have other writers look at your work and offer feedback, if possible.

Muses come in many forms, and they often come and go at random. Write when you are inspired to do so (unless you are on a deadline!). Challenge yourself to write a single sentence when you are feeling down. Soon you will fill a whole page!

Perhaps my progress with my fursona's story will encourage you...

My novel-in-progress, Iara's Crossing, has taken many forms since it was first written. The story was originally a bad Jurassic Park/Raptor Red/Sonic the Hedgehog crossover fan fiction I wrote when I was 10. I made it into a comic, cleverly entitled The Adventures of Raptor. After finishing the series of comics, I felt Raptor's character needed to be deeper, more meaningful. I wrote a two part series over the next two years about Raptor's life, genuine paleo fiction warped with fantasy elements I called Emerald Green Eyes (again, my titles are so clever it's amazing!). The second half of this story is the one I molded into a rewrite over and over again...it was reincarnated in 2008 into a dark comic series called Iara's Crossing (my fursona, renamed Iara, was brainwashed into killing human beings, having been genetically altered and manipulated to do so). I took elements from Emerald Green Eyes, like the bird/jaguar mentor character I called Flash, the presence of particular male avians monitoring Iara's every move and incorporated them into a new story, the one I have been revising since 2012...Iara's Crossing.

So it's taken me a really, really long time to write about just one fursona...I keep going, because how I write continues to improve, but only with practice, patience and the will to continue. Iara is my muse....let Sither be yours!

I wish you the best in making your story. Please post it here or link to it as you write! I would be interested to see your work.

~Iara Warriorfeather

Sither:
Wow all those years writing about one fursona that there is a labor of love. An the other night I did the challenge to write something. I was feeling down again the other night and i sat staring at a blinking cursor wanting to put something down. Finally I focused inward and got a few lines down, then before I knew it I had almost a full chapter down and was feeling at least a little better.

I am still trying to work up a story for Sither. I don't want to force something with him I want the story to come naturally. As of now I have him commissioned and I am just waiting for the artist to get to him. Hopefully when I can see him physically it will help. As soon as I start the story I will post it here. I will look forward to all the advice.

Old Rabbit:
A couple more notes. It's always best to write to please yourself.
Trying to write stories to please others generally ends up
not working out well.

We put more heart into stories we enjoy. Writing something
we don't particularly like becomes a chore.

Also set goals, Many writers end up putting off working
on their stories for one reason or another.

When setting a goal it helps to tell a friend when you do.

Good luck. :orbunny:

Sither:
Oh most definitely. I only write for myself, it is escape, it's  my relaxation. If someone else gets pleasure from what I write then that's a bonus for me. Setting goals is a good idea an is something I need to start doing i think.

Glycanthrope:
There is nothing unusual about writers using a fictional character as a placeholder for themselves, furry or not.

It's a great way to explore key aspects of yourself, without your writing becoming too self indulgent,
and projecting yourself into a fictional character is one way to connect and understand that character.

Steven King does it, so did Somerset Maugham.

Charles Bukowski made up an alter ego by the name of "Henry Chinasky," which he used extensively throughout his prose.
The character was basically a mirror image of himself, but since it was a fictional character, Bukowski could put his character into situations that were possibly a bit more exciting than real life.

Chistopher Milne wrote in his autobiography, how his father A.A Milne (author of Winnie the Pooh)  more or less
became the "Eeyore" character following his stroke in 1953.  So, without him referring to the characters as "fursonae," it seems he
projected aspect of himself into the various characters in that universe.

Writing about yourself in the guise of a fursona is the same thing, only with added fur. As a writer, you'll be among good company.

Whenever I write stories that take place in an anthropomorphic universe (which accounts for roughly one third of my output),
I tend to make my fursona one of the main characters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version