Author Topic: Do not buy "No Man's Sky" (opinion)  (Read 3849 times)

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
Do not buy "No Man's Sky" (opinion)
« on: August 13, 2016, 05:19:53 am »
pre ordered the game on the 9th and played its release on the 12th. multiplayer was a large feature they were talking about and they continued to say that there are other players but it turns out that you cant actually see, or interact with other players. i saw a quote that from the main developer that you will never be able to see players even though they said you could before (not sure if its a real quote but it seems sorta believable)

many of the planets look similar, plants, and animals are kinda boring. the ships while there is variety, isnt as much as they said there is.

imo the developers seem to just be farming money from it. might want to wait a few months and see if the game changes at all. watch some gameplay before buying though.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: Do not buy "No Man's Sky" (opinion)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 05:53:01 am »
An article on this subject:
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/no-mans-sky-multiplayer-controversy-explained-server-issues-crushing-online-features-550145

In short - There are supposedly more multiplayer things than just shared planet names, there are currently server issues, and due to the small dev team, not everything may have made it into the game yet.

I know some people who are playing who aren't fussed about multiplayer, and they say it is still a good enough game. I can't speak for it myself, as I never buy games on release (too expensive, plus gives time for fixes and patches to work their way in, as well as server stabilisation). As usual though, the internet has overhyped something to the point that just being good isn't enough for most people. People want excellence or nothing, will whine about having nothing, and will keep upping the bar for excellence.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 05:56:56 am by Loc »

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 08:11:55 am »
well hopefully that quote i saw was fake (dont have a link of it though)

to me it isnt about them not having multiplayer its just that if they did lie about it i dont want to be supporting that company.

though the ships and planets are kinda a disappointment

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 10:43:45 am »
Admitting I've watched a few hours of this game online so far. Some really good gamers. One really dumb one. I've heard talk of multi player but it doesn't look like it needs it.

Personal thoughts on the game,
The good.
You have to take care of your things. Be aware of your surroundings. Puzzles to salve. You have to rely on spacial perception to find your way around at time. So it can be a thinking game. You choose how you want to play. You could spend all your time going to different worlds. Just doing your own thing and not caring about the games storyline at all. This game is geared for sci-fi lovers. Not an action junky game.
The bad
Intergalactic shopping mall. You gather things. You find things. You sell things and buy more things. All in outer space! All the worlds are similar. I've seen some animals repeated on different worlds.
The ugly.
It crashes. it crashes allot. If it becomes a multi player game your going to end up on worlds were 12 year olds are naming everything with sexual references.

If I had a gaming system or a PC and was a gamer? Ya, I'd get this game. Not an action junky. Be nice to sit back, bounce around a world and loose myself from the daly routine once in a wile.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Subzerus

• Species: Anthro lizard
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 06:08:36 am »
Do you know how many planets there are in the game? It's like 3.5 TRILLION planets, the chance that you ever find someone else is... slimmer than you think, let's just say that if you play the game for your entire life, you won't find anyone, why ever work on multiplayer if it would only be used less than 10 times? It doesn't make any sense if you ask me.
Profile picture by Javatan.
http://javatan.deviantart.com/

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 06:17:41 am »
Two people found the same planet and each others locations within literally two hours of launch. Perhaps not as slim as you think :P

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 07:07:20 am »
If it becomes a multi player game your going to end up on worlds were 12 year olds are naming everything with sexual references.

the game all ready has features like that (and that is the only "multiplayer" feature they have so far) i like the idea they had where you can see other player but you just cant speak or stuff like that.

Do you know how many planets there are in the game? It's like 3.5 TRILLION planets, the chance that you ever find someone else is... slimmer than you think, let's just say that if you play the game for your entire life, you won't find anyone, why ever work on multiplayer if it would only be used less than 10 times? It doesn't make any sense if you ask me.

read loc's post about people all ready meeting each other (on the first day).

also btw the closer to the center of the galaxy the higher the chances of seeing somebody is. the developers/critics over hyped that whole thing about seeing players being rare, since they completely forgot that if you make everyone head to the center of the circle (galaxy) they are very likely to find each other.

though this still doesnt change what im saying. im not complaining about no multiplayer im saying that the developers LIED about the multiplayer (or at least the way they were wording it was very tricky)

the lying is the biggest thing that is getting to me (the lack of original species/ships/planets coming in 2nd)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 11:30:37 am »
Just saw a report on how two players were in the same system. They agreed to go to the same star bass at exactly the same time The NEVER saw each other. Not even their ships. Apparently the game creators lied about the multi player aspect of the game. It's now known that there is no way you can see or interact with another player.

a link to the vid on No man's sky multi player lie. Warning. Adult language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLAvRf0Z8KU
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 11:47:12 am »
thanks for that video. (i have casually searching for video talking about those two people who met but haven't been able to find it) need to get some sleep so ill likely watch it in a few hours

Offline TempleofDogs

• Species: Ursus , Canis , Aves , Bos, Felidae, etc; shifter.
  • I'm not what you want.
    • Dogs shop
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 09:48:00 pm »
I thought about getting it myself, until I watched a gameplay and thought " oh minecraft , in space, with procedural generated  things, okayyyyy and I can play by myself.. great."

and that when I said nope not for me.