Author Topic: What's Your Cutie Mark?  (Read 32385 times)

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
Re: What's Your Cutie Mark?
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 10:50:13 pm »
I actually forgot about the whole picking-the-type-of-pony thing when coming up with my base concept for Double Fault (referenced in the Photo/Video thread). I'm stuck between Earth and Pegasus, but leaning toward Pegasus. Wings would be cool.

I still really need to get a vector of him...

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 10:28:24 am »
Nah, be a unicorn. You already have a handle for the racket when you play tennis that way.

:orhorse:

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 10:47:54 pm »
Nah, be a unicorn. You already have a handle for the racket when you play tennis that way.

:orhorse:

That could work, but wouldn't that get dizzying? then again, the ponies seem to hold everything in their mouths for the most part anyhow.

I just like the wings too much, though.

Offline Sunny Snowflame

• Greetings, Earthlings! You will obey me!!
  • Male
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2011, 06:57:19 am »

That's me! Music is my life, so I would have a musical note as my mark. I'd prefer an organ keyboard, but the note is easier to work with! (Even though I only play improvised). I've gotta say I had a lot of fun with that pony generator (and Photoshop...) :D

(Pony generator: http://generalzoi.deviantart.com/art/MLP-FiM-Pony-Creator-Beta-210228500)

I haven't thought of a name for him yet, but I'm thinking along the lines of "Knightingale." You know, knight-in-shining-armor and all that...
Just what exactly is a nerf, and how does one herd them?...

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 04:26:03 pm »
Hmmm, with a name like Story Scribbler I'd think your cutie mark would be a quill in a ink well sitting next to a book.
Well, the book/pens/dice idea I had earlier kind of encompasses all the ways I do stories: read/write/game.  However, a simple mark would be good, too, if it meant easier recognition.  I can see how it would be hard to make out a gaming die in a mark that size.  The Mane 6 each have a pretty simple mark; RD's is maybe the most complex, but the high contrast of the colors makes it stand out.

Just go with something simple. You can see my OC Pony in my signature, named Authrite, has a very simple cutie mark: a pen and ink. You can do something similar.
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline Rilin

• Species: Mouse
  • Female
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 04:37:17 pm »
My cutie mark for my pony sona Sweet Tea used to be just a humble mug, until Dey-Chan on FA spruced it up a bit! :) Now I can't stop drawing her :D

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 07:58:45 pm »

Just go with something simple. You can see my OC Pony in my signature, named Authrite, has a very simple cutie mark: a pen and ink. You can do something similar.

Now I think about it, maybe you're right.  The more complicated these get, the less iconic they become.

And maybe my ponysona isn't quite right, either.  I'll stick with Scribbler as my name for places like Ponychan, but I tried one of those pony name generators and got The Great and Powerful Windy Heart.  Haha!  Sounds like it has elements of all the different types of ponies!

But I do kind of like that name: Windy Heart.  Maybe I'll go pegasus?  And my personality really can be "in the clouds" sometimes :D  So, what kind of cutie mark would Windy Heart have?
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 12:49:30 am »
But I do kind of like that name: Windy Heart.  Maybe I'll go pegasus?  And my personality really can be "in the clouds" sometimes :D  So, what kind of cutie mark would Windy Heart have?

I imagine a cloud with a gust of wind. Something like that.

On another note: Welcome back, Rillin :D

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 03:27:56 am »
With my deep passion for vintage computers (and computers in general) being what it is, if I had a "pony-sona" its cutie mark would be this:

The mighty "C:\>" prompt from the greatest operating system to ever grace the registers of an 8086 microprocessor, MS-DOS!  I get warm and fuzzy just thinking about that majestic black screen being projected on a glowing CRT!   :)

With that said, when I decided to respond to this topic I didn't realize that along with people showing off their pony-sona's cutie marks that they were also sharing the names of their pony-sonas.  It actually took me a couple of weeks of pondering off and on about this thread to come up with my cutie mark, and up until right now I had never considered what my pony's name would be.  To keep in the spirit of things, after about a minute-and-a-half of last-minute thinking about it, I have decided that a good name for my pony-sona would be "Blinkenlight."  That name works on two levels for me, first of all because the name is computer-related (you can read the Jargon File entry on what "blinkenlights" are here), and unlike most computer terms it actually sounds like it could be a "My Little Pony" name.  So until I come up with something better, Blinkenlight works!

My only problem now is the fact that based on the few episodes of MLP:FIM that I have seen, there seems to be no computing technology in the land of Equestria what-so-ever.  There aren't even any electromechanical relays!  (The horror!)  As a result, in that world most of my talents would be useless!   :'(  So it looks like I would be the saddest most useless pony in the town of Ponyville, crying myself to sleep at night and the crying myself back awake again the next morning and spending my days halfheartedly pushing beads around on my binary abacus while waiting for the inventions of electricity, the switch, and the relay to one day finally arrive...  *sigh*

...or on second thought I could just spend all of my time in Equestria hitting on Applejack...  Yeah, that works!   :D

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 05:58:10 pm »
With my deep passion for vintage computers (and computers in general) being what it is, if I had a "pony-sona" its cutie mark would be this:

The mighty "C:\>" prompt from the greatest operating system to ever grace the registers of an 8086 microprocessor, MS-DOS!  I get warm and fuzzy just thinking about that majestic black screen being projected on a glowing CRT!   :)

With that said, when I decided to respond to this topic I didn't realize that along with people showing off their pony-sona's cutie marks that they were also sharing the names of their pony-sonas.  It actually took me a couple of weeks of pondering off and on about this thread to come up with my cutie mark, and up until right now I had never considered what my pony's name would be.  To keep in the spirit of things, after about a minute-and-a-half of last-minute thinking about it, I have decided that a good name for my pony-sona would be "Blinkenlight."  That name works on two levels for me, first of all because the name is computer-related (you can read the Jargon File entry on what "blinkenlights" are here), and unlike most computer terms it actually sounds like it could be a "My Little Pony" name.  So until I come up with something better, Blinkenlight works!

My only problem now is the fact that based on the few episodes of MLP:FIM that I have seen, there seems to be no computing technology in the land of Equestria what-so-ever.  There aren't even any electromechanical relays!  (The horror!)  As a result, in that world most of my talents would be useless!   :'(  So it looks like I would be the saddest most useless pony in the town of Ponyville, crying myself to sleep at night and the crying myself back awake again the next morning and spending my days halfheartedly pushing beads around on my binary abacus while waiting for the inventions of electricity, the switch, and the relay to one day finally arrive...  *sigh*

...or on second thought I could just spend all of my time in Equestria hitting on Applejack...  Yeah, that works!   :D
I wouldn't worry about the "No Computers" thing. They have electricity and DJs so there must be computers. How else would Vinyl Scratch lay such awesome beats on the dance floor?
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline TCD

• Furry Elitist
  • Female
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 06:13:31 pm »
Also. Maybe you're from a different time period all together?

Link is clean, possible season 2 spoilers on page. Will edit this with my ponysona and OC pony later, when Imgur doesn't suck.
My Furaffinity! May contain mature images.
FFLw3ad A C D+ H++ M- P+++ R++ T++ W Z- Sf+ RLGP* a cn++ d+ e++ f+ h i++ p* sm+

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 06:13:42 pm »

The mighty "C:\>" prompt from the greatest operating system to ever grace the registers of an 8086 microprocessor, MS-DOS!  I get warm and fuzzy just thinking about that majestic black screen being projected on a glowing CRT!   :)

With that said, when I decided to respond to this topic I didn't realize that along with people showing off their pony-sona's cutie marks that they were also sharing the names of their pony-sonas.  It actually took me a couple of weeks of pondering off and on about this thread to come up with my cutie mark, and up until right now I had never considered what my pony's name would be.  To keep in the spirit of things, after about a minute-and-a-half of last-minute thinking about it, I have decided that a good name for my pony-sona would be "Blinkenlight."  That name works on two levels for me, first of all because the name is computer-related (you can read the Jargon File entry on what "blinkenlights" are here), and unlike most computer terms it actually sounds like it could be a "My Little Pony" name.  So until I come up with something better, Blinkenlight works!

My only problem now is the fact that based on the few episodes of MLP:FIM that I have seen, there seems to be no computing technology in the land of Equestria what-so-ever.  There aren't even any electromechanical relays!  (The horror!)  As a result, in that world most of my talents would be useless!   :'(  So it looks like I would be the saddest most useless pony in the town of Ponyville, crying myself to sleep at night and the crying myself back awake again the next morning and spending my days halfheartedly pushing beads around on my binary abacus while waiting for the inventions of electricity, the switch, and the relay to one day finally arrive...  *sigh*

...or on second thought I could just spend all of my time in Equestria hitting on Applejack...  Yeah, that works!   :D
I wouldn't worry about the "No Computers" thing. They have electricity and DJs so there must be computers. How else would Vinyl Scratch lay such awesome beats on the dance floor?

How can the ponies have comps, electricity, etc.? How are they going to be able to run and use things without fingers/hands? All they have is hooves.  :P

Offline TCD

• Furry Elitist
  • Female
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 06:15:40 pm »
Magic.

No, really.

Unicorns can manipulate things with magic, and the earth ponies are innovative enough that they could probably come up with stuff to harness electricity. (Potato battery, anyone?) The pegasus ponies have shown to control the weather, so lightning could be a startup...boost.

Wow.

Thats really nerdy of me.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 06:29:28 pm »
Magic.

No, really.

Unicorns can manipulate things with magic, and the earth ponies are innovative enough that they could probably come up with stuff to harness electricity. (Potato battery, anyone?) The pegasus ponies have shown to control the weather, so lightning could be a startup...boost.

Wow.

Thats really nerdy of me.
Its ok TCD, we're all nerds here. PM sent.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 04:19:27 am »
Hey, thanks for the replies everyone!

Hmmm.  I have seen 12-episodes of MLP:FIM so far, and apparently the episode with Vinyl Scratch wasn't one of them, so until I read this I wasn't aware of that character or that the ponies had electricity.  Everything that I have seen so far in the show has been open-flame lanterns, horse-drawn ploughs, quill pens, and using dragon-breath to some how magically send letters.  However, if there are DJ ponies out there with turntables, that means that there are transistors out there (or at the very least "firebottles"), and I can work with that!

How can the ponies have comps, electricity, etc.? How are they going to be able to run and use things without fingers/hands? All they have is hooves.  :P

Hooves are yet another reason (among many) as to why you will never ever in a million years see me joining Liedt's Ungulates United local #416.  (Another is the fact that my favorite kind of ungulate happens to be square-shaped, has five holes punched through it, is steam-grilled on a bed of onions, and comes in a white paper sack that says "White Castle" on it!  :D )  I replied to this topic about a MLP cutie mark just for fun-- I tend to use a couple different vulpine characters of mine as my fursonas in the furry fandom at large-- I am as of yet still successfully resisting the virulent epidemic-like trend of becoming a "brony!"  (Either that or I am just still in denial about it!)

Magic.

No, really.

Unicorns can manipulate things with magic, and the earth ponies are innovative enough that they could probably come up with stuff to harness electricity. (Potato battery, anyone?)

Speaking of being really nerdy, I looked up that a potato, when used as a battery, can produce about 0.00027-watts of power (by the way, it is the potential difference of the copper and zinc electrodes that produce the electric current-- the potato just provides the electrolyte in the form of phosphoric acid).  I am not sure how much power my Core 2 Quad-based machine is currently pulling under an average load (I don't have a "Kill-a-watt" meter to check), but to be able to provide enough power for its power supply's maximum rated 500-watts I would need a minimum of 1,851,852-potato batteries linked up in series, and that wouldn't guarantee how long those potato-batteries could provide that amount of power.  Despite my looking, I could not find a listing for the amp-hour rating of a potato battery!   :D

Hmmm, while they wouldn't be as good to use as a battery electrolyte as lemons, apples contain malic acid. If I could find enough copper and zinc (or even better copper and magnesium) to use as electrodes I could probably wire-up my PC to 1.85-million apples in the trees of Applejack's apple orchards to use for power!  You don't think that she would mind, do you?   :P  Otherwise I had better use my pony hooves to start scratching at the ground to find some healthy chunks of Uranium!   :D

The pegasus ponies have shown to control the weather, so lightning could be a startup...boost.

Lightning may be great for time-traveling DeLoreans, but when it comes to computers lightning is a Bad Thing.  Despite my having all of my equipment at home wired up though decent surge protectors, over the years I have still lost a router, a wireless access point, and most tragically a SGI Indy workstation to lightning storms.   :(  Those weather pegasi are not getting anywhere near my underground computer-laden cave!   :P

Offline TCD

• Furry Elitist
  • Female
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 01:40:48 pm »
The potato battery comment was in refrence to Portal 2, where

Spoiler: show
GLADoS is stuck in a potato battery after The Silent Hero and core computer Westley kick her out of the Aperture Science mainframe.

Damn. Want to play Portal 2 again.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 01:00:15 pm »
Most likely since I like art it would be a
paintbrush and Palette.

So how would a pony draw. Brush/pencil in the mouth or a
hoof attachment.

There are handicapped artists who draw using their mouths.

Pointer in the mouth works good for key by key pushing too.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 01:37:12 pm »
Likely in the mouth. You can see several shots where they write with a pen in their mouths. I think one of the cutest animations is when it's Applebloom doing that.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2011, 02:44:39 pm »
Likely in the mouth. You can see several shots where they write with a pen in their mouths. I think one of the cutest animations is when it's Applebloom doing that.
Unless they're a unicorn. That unicorn magic comes in handy for doing just about anything.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 02:45:39 pm »

Yeah, she's obviously concentrating very hard to make sure she gets her notes right. So adorable!

Also, in Call of the Cutie, an artist is shown in front of an easel, with paintbrush in mouth.

Offline Richter

• Giants are godless killing machines.
  • Male
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 10:14:50 pm »
Probably a picture of a cowboy hat, with white eyes and a bandana around his mouth, with two revolvers crossed in front of him, because I'm a gun nut and I love anything that has to do with the Wild West.

Offline Sheeta

• Species: Kittygirl!
  • By the power of Grayskull
  • Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2011, 05:48:58 pm »
Ok, quick 20 minute draw-up of my pony.  Introducing...ScrewBall!  And yes, the exclamation point is part of her name and cutie mark. :D   She's based off of a quote someone once said describing me--"Kinda like Jokey Smurf, except less annoying but more dangerous." 

And a close-up of her cutie mark.

I want to draw more, it's so much fun to create these!  I already have a couple more planned for myself.
It's Steely Dan, not Steely Dan't

"People are into it for all sorts of reasons, but I think most people here just think animal people are neat to draw." --"Sue"

Stop by!  www.furaffinity.net/user/nubiankitten7
             www.nubiankitten.deviantart.com/

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2011, 09:11:00 pm »
Oh, she certainly looks like she's a spitfire!

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2011, 01:27:38 am »
Oh, she certainly looks like she's a spitfire!

Umm, no. Spitfire is a Wonderbolt and looks totally different:

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2011, 01:46:51 am »
I meant in the traditional attitude way, not as a propr name. Hence why I said A spitfire, not capitalized. :P