Author Topic: Blu-Ray help needed.  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Blu-Ray help needed.
« on: December 29, 2015, 09:25:38 pm »
Last week, I bought the Season 1 collection of the X-Files tv series on Blu-Ray. It's a 6-disc set. Earlier on Sunday this week, I started to watch the series. Everything went fine when I inserted Disc 1 into my BR player. I finished watching the last episode on Disc 2 earlier tonight, then went to go take a shower, then I was going to continue later with Disc 3.
When I put Disc 3 into my BR player, only the first 10 seconds of the disc played, then nothing more.  :o I then tried Discs 4, 5, and 6, then re-tried Discs 1 & 2 again, and the same thing happened.........only the first 10 seconds of each disc played, then nothing more happened. I don't understand how this could happen when I didn't have any earlier problems with Discs 1 and 2 on Sunday and Monday.

Either something is wrong with the X-Files discs or my BR player needs replacing. :( But, I went and did a little further testing. I put in a few other Blu-Ray and regular DVD movies into my BR player and they all played fine. So what gives?

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
Re: Blu-Ray help needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 02:11:56 am »
What is the make and model?

Have you updated your firmware recently?

Is the region for the discs a region your player is capable of properly reading?

And does your player use a live Internet connection?  (e.g. an ethernet or wifi connection that is always connected to the Internet.)
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 12:29:09 pm »
What is the make and model?
Samsung. I don't know the model. But it is less than 5 years old.

Have you updated your firmware recently?
What firmware?

Is the region for the discs a region your player is capable of properly reading?
Yes.

And does your player use a live Internet connection?  (e.g. an ethernet or wifi connection that is always connected to the Internet.)
I think so.

Offline Storm Fox

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 08:18:18 pm »
Samsung. I don't know the model. But it is less than 5 years old.
The model number may be on the front of the machine, the back/bottom of the machine, the system information screen (via the setup menu), the instruction manual, etc.
And being less than 5 years old isn't saying much, especially for a Samsung as they've had certain models of blu-ray players go unsupported after 3 years.

What firmware?
I'm going to assume that means you've never updated your machine.  o.0
Blu-ray players are like computers and are updated to support changes in blu-ray disc encryption and new playback features.
It is odd that you could play the first two discs, but even so it is likely that your player cannot properly read some portion or feature of the disc required for proper playback.

Without the model number I can't say exactly how to update your player, but it will be either an update through an ethernet connection, a usb flash drive, or possibly a dvd burned from your computer (that last one is rarer, but a possibility).
So try to find your instruction manual and look up "how to update your blu-ray player".

Offline iso

• Species: Anthro wolf
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 03:10:18 am »
It's a really interesting problem because that the player allows you to play the first 2 disk that means that the problem isn't in the firmware.
As the player didn't allows you to replay the disk 1 & 2 that means that the problem wasn't in the discs.
But there are some factors that you can't test as the laser fries up between disk 1 & 3 (when stop to playing) or simply the dust in to it, if you aren't familiar with this thing you should let it to a small service center (i doubt it has an actual valid warranty) and if it the laser (here in mexico) it's a cheap repair around 4 or 5 bucks but if you're familiar simply open it, clean the focus lens and test it, if after all it no works buy a new one :) (My opinion isn't the best, I m human and i certainly can make a mistake but i have 3 years of experience as electronic engineering).
Cheers!!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 03:18:03 am by iso »

Offline Storm Fox

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 11:14:13 pm »
It's a really interesting problem because that the player allows you to play the first 2 disk that means that the problem isn't in the firmware.
I disagree with this for a couple of reasons...
To start with, in multi disc sets there are often special features and extras, and these features may be a requirement that the player can't handle (e.g. BD-live) and it may only be present on certain discs.
And just because the first discs played does not mean they played properly. The audio could have been slightly out of sync, or the frame rate lower than normal and may have not been noticeable. There's just no way to know for sure without having access to the machine.

But the point is that the BD player is out of date, this is known.
So it would be best to resolve this issue and make sure incompatibility is not the problem, so get things up to date and go from there.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:16:59 pm by Storm Fox »

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 12:17:57 pm »
Find the model number of the BD player. Then you can google it. Many times others
have similar problems, and may know how to fix it..  As Storm Fox said you need the
model number, and it should be on it's case if not on the front panel..

If it's in your computer do a system check or help for it.. Many times model numbers of componets
are listed.

oldrabbit.com