Author Topic: Home made pasta.  (Read 4801 times)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
Home made pasta.
« on: February 23, 2020, 05:36:18 pm »
Starting a new foody habit. I remember watching my grandma dump flour into a pile on the table. Make a well in the middle. Then and add the wet ingredients into the well. Then she'd mix everything together. My mom did this as well. And as a kid I learned to do this. Time to start going back to my roots. Found an awesome You Tube channel called 'Pasta Grannies'.

https://www.youtube.com/user/pastagrannies/videos

You don't always get the measured amounts in each of the videos. The average flour to egg ratio is one egg for every 3/4 cup of flour.  Still looking for an average for the flour to water ratio.

They make rolling out the dough by hand look really easy. I've rolled out enough pie dough to know better. Be something to learn and get the hang of. Besides bad looking noodles will still taste good in a great pasta sauce.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline cause the rat

• Male
Re: Home made pasta.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 01:20:35 am »
A heads up. One egg to 3/4 cup of flour is for multiple cups of flour. It's the X+Y hydration thing. I tried it. If you going to make this I'd start with a half cup of flour to one large egg.  I rolled it out. Then folded the dough up and cut it into thin strips. This makes a good one serving of pasta. The pasta is substantial. Very chewy or 'al dente'. Takes on the flavor of what I put on it. Just like bread. Way better than the Barilla pasta I've been using for years now. Ya, I'm digging this new hobby.

What's on this one serving size pasta bowel.
One already cooked chicken thigh in small pieces. Simmered in an olive oil butter sauce. Seasoned with oregano, garlic and rosemary. Tossed in a hand full of frozen veggies. S and P to taste.  The only thing that would have made this better is if I had remembered to put cheese on it.

It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 02:22:02 pm »
My second day of home made pasta. In retrospect one egg and a bit more than a half cup of flour is good for two servings. Made a repeat of the chicken stuff I made last night. This time I added cheese. Ho, ya that's good.

Howe I roll and cut my pasta.

Roll the dough out to a rectangle as best you can. A bit more than 1mm thick. Then put a bit of flout on the top side and fold the dough gently on it's longest side. Make the folds an inch to an inch and a half wide. So you end up with a one and a half long by a long strip. Now cut this on the short side. Each cut should be around 1/8 wide. You end up with a good hand full of noodles. Boil this in salted water for four to five minutes and you got home made pasta.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 10:17:12 pm »
First it was bread. Now it's pasta. Are you going to open a restaurant soon?  :D Let me know if you're hiring. I have 11 years of experience in the food service industry.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 10:42:48 pm »
 Are crackers made in a similar way to bread or pasta? It isn't a cookie.  So I didn't know.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:45:09 pm by Jade Sinapu »
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 12:37:49 am »
It's a plan Kobuk. We'll call it 'STARCH'. Even came up with a slogan, "We got the bread. We got the pasta. You want anything else? You go somewhere else!" We'll be out of business in no time! :) My next endeavor is going to be home made frozen pizza.

Jade, not really sure. Never looked up how to make them.  Imagine they'd be as diverse as bread. You'd find thousands of different recipes for hundreds of different flavors. If you think about it every cracker being sold had to start in someone's kitchen.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 10:58:13 pm »
STARCH
Super Tasty And Really CHeap!
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 01:22:57 am »
Cheap? Oh No no no we can't sell our work cheap. We'll put a huge price on it. People will think it's better than it actually is. That'a a fact proven with behavioral science. I watched an experiment where people were given two slices of cake. Told one was $1.00 a slice and the other was something like $15 a slice. Almost everyone agreed the  $15 cake tasted better.  Both pieces came from the very same cake. So what sets our bread and pasta above everyone else's? Our Price! And crazy people.

Pasta can be made with regular flour, 00 flour and semolina. The 0 0 flour is finely ground and more favored in Italy for pasta than all purpose flour. Semolina comes from durum wheat.  Native to the upper mid west. Brought back to Italy and quickly because a favorite. I've seen on line that if you do use semolina go as much as 1 to 1 with flour. If you use just semolina you'll need a pasta machine to thin the dough. It's to hard of a dough to roll by hand. Haven't tried it yet. I've heard semolina flour gives a good flavor to the pasta. I like Barilla pasta. It's 100% semolina. So I'd have to agree. The only way for me to get semolina is on line. 

I froze some pasta. Rolled a single egg size batch thin enough to read through. Cut it into 1/8 wide pasta. Shoved the pile into a plastic bag and froze it overnight. Cooked it for five minutes instead of four in salted boiling water. Then added five table spoons of home made tomato sauce. Made this before last Christmas and ended up freezing it. Was for a second batch of lasagna that never happened. it was good. OK really good. Getting hungry just thinking about it. Well worth the effort. 

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 12:28:55 pm »
Ratio for American size large eggs to flour. One egg for every 80 grams of flour. Haven't tried my R. A. T. technique so I'm still kneading the dough for ten minutes. The 30 minute or longer resting time is important. Relaxes the dough. Makes it a bit easier to roll out.

Made chicken soup with pasta. The pasta held up perfectly. Was afraid it would dissolve. Cooked the pasta first then added it to the soup. So the soup wouldn't be starchy.

Haven't made pasta with water yet.