Author Topic: How has furry changed you?  (Read 28313 times)

Offline wulfstar

• Male
How has furry changed you?
« on: July 18, 2008, 02:48:57 am »
Exactly what the title says, how has your furriness changed you as a person?

Personally, i think being a furry has helped me become more open, as well as being way more accepting of other peoples differences. ( I used to be the biggest homophobe  x_x ). It's strange how one of the weirdest fandoms can make you a bit more normal.

Recently too i've picked up drawing.... so much harder than it looks  >:(
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 10:02:30 pm by wulfstar »
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline Duffman!

• No sense of time...
  • Male
Re: How has furry changed you?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:18:51 am »
Drawing is rolid, im okay at it, but not great.
Becoming a furry is pretty cool, i feel happier, but i dont think i've become louder or more pronounced in conversations than i was before (then again, i hardly ever shut up XD).
I also, really want to have a tail......

......reeeeeaaally want a tail...

<--- I IS ARE HAVING DRAGON!!! :D

Knowing your head, is more valuable than knowing your enemy - Me!

Offline Kaloth

• Something goes here
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 07:36:31 am »
I think the fandom has made me comfortable with who I am as a person, and therefore more open in conversation, and just more outgoing in general. Also Duffman! me and three of my friends all have tails, yet none of them are furries (got mine before I even knew what a furry was :P)

Offline Rick Woods

• Male
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 07:45:15 am »
Well, I've always been an open and honest person.  It's just who I am.  But joining the fandom has been great for me for a number of reasons.

First of all, when I first got my account on this forum (my first "real" acknowledgment of this side of myself), I immediately felt a little freer.  I was able to let some things out to people who'd understand and welcome my opinions and thoughts rather than turn away.  When I was browsing or posting on this forum, I felt happier.

But then, when I was away from the forum, I just felt like I needed more furs to talk to.  So I did my homework and found some.  Now I'm great friends with a great group of furs around where I live.  For the most part this was simply an expansion of my already-existing circle of friends.

I also knew I wanted to go to a con, and what better con to start with than the biggest in the world!  Anthrocon 08 was a blast.  Loved every second of it.  There was just so much energy and life!  I thought, "this is what life should be like everywhere, all the time".

To answer the question in the title there -- how has furry changed me?  To be completely honest I'm not sure.  You'd have to ask my friends.  I've been described as a "kid ripping through a candy store" by one of them.  I'm not exactly sure what that means but I love the image.  :D  I've probably become even more open than I was before (I'm no longer afraid to tell my non-fur friends that I'm furry), and I think I've gained a much... younger?... outlook on life.
Furry and happy since 14 Feb 2008!  Thanks to Evergreencat for introducing me to the dhole, which is now my fursona.  My avatar is a crop of a badge, drawn by the talented Fluke.

Feel free to hit me on AIM!

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 10:37:37 am »
well... it gave me some friends! i won't give the lecture again... XD

but since i joined, i practice the sax more, got a job, cut my hair... pretty much sorted my life out
just your average self-effacing, herbivorous predator

Offline Pensive

• Female
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 12:29:23 pm »
Lol..this thread is like a support group or something. XD

Anyway. I was totally in denial about being furry when I first found the fandom, since I, unfortunately, found the perverse side of the fandom FIRST, but then I discovered the rest of it and I've been happy ever since. :3 Furry in general has just made me a lot more out-going, since I finally have friends who share my interests now, and it has also given me a group of people who don't think I'm weird. xD Which is nice.

Fursuiting is my biggest influence, though. I've alway been really shy (and still am, sometimes), but ever since I discovered fursuiting I've been more out-going and more open, and not so afraid to stand out. And making fursuits has finally given me something to be good at. I've never been very proud of my art, but now that I'm getting good at making fursuits I'm happy to have something to show off to people. It's really helping my self-esteem.

</support group> xD

Offline Feathertail

• Writing is Flight!
  • Male
    • Feathertail's Dreamwidth journal
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 02:06:50 pm »
Aside from what other people have mentioned (acceptance, people to talk to who share your interests and don't think you're crazy), for me becoming a furry coincided with my starting to write a lot more.

I realized what it was I liked most about the stories I'd tried to write -- like why the fuzzy "mascot" in a sci-fi story ended up stealing the show -- as well as what kind of stories I really wanted to write. I also did a request for someone on these forums. How come everyone wants art requests done, but no one ever asks people to write something for them?

Anyway, it's been a lot of fun so far, and I'd like to thank everyone for that. </support group>

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Pick a number, any number
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity page
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 02:49:25 pm »
Interestingly enough, I'm not sure it's changed me all that much. It's certainly given me more to think about (and occasionally obsess over), but I'm still basically the same person I was before. It definitely has organized me a bit (hard to explain, but I just feel more... focused post-Fur), but apart from that I'm not sure I'm that changed (and I'm speaking personality-wise here).

EDIT: Also, it has given me a new outlet to spend all my money :P
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:22:50 am by Relaxing Dragon »

Offline RedneckFur

• I'm in ur barn, eatin' ur hay!
  • Male
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/redneckfur/
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 08:25:23 pm »
Furry has caused me to become more outgoing and understanding.  Once upon a time, I was a very closed minded and bigoted person.  Through the fandom I've become a very open minded person.  Furry helped me to discover my sexuality, and I met my boyfreind through this very forum. (we've been together for 3 years ^__^ )

Pets name: Nugget
Adopt your own!

Offline weese

• In ur Screen, likin' ur pixelz!
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 08:47:54 pm »
Well, I think my answer is the same as most others in this thread.
Furry has made me more open minded. Also Before joining the fandom I was depressed and I'm almost over that to. I've also noticed I'm much happier with myself that I used to be.

I've never thought about this, this thread was a good idea.
My fur code:
FCft3a A-- C- D H+ M? P++ R T+++ W- Z- Sm- RL- a- cl++ d-- e- f h* i++ j p+++ sm-.      <-- Is outdated.

Offline Kos

• Seasonal Posting Syndrome
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 10:43:53 pm »
There is just something about being an active fur that really gets you out there and broadens your social horizons.  It's possible that finding your place with some hard-core quilting ladies could do the same, but I'm glad to have found furry instead of Hell's Knitters.

The fandom really gives me a place to share how I feel about anthro-art, stories, characters, attitudes.  It's a good feeling.  This has been a part of me since times immemorial, so it's really about time I got active in the community.

Hello, my name is Kos, and I am a furry *waves to the rest of the support group*
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

Offline missywolf

• Female
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 10:07:10 am »
I've always been a rather happy individual, but I've been happier (if that's possible) :P lately.

Some of you say being a furry made you more open-minded, that's great! I love open-minded individuals (they are smarter, have more common sense). It was being open-minded (due to another part of me I'm not discussing here) that led me to considering that I was furry.  (:

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 10:25:15 am »
Lol..this thread is like a support group or something. XD

(shot at humor so let me know if I step over a line.)
Befo' I find Furry, I wa' hook on drugs, in an' outta jail. I could not hold down a job. Furry save my life. Furry give me reason to get out of bed in tha mornin'. *turns to nearest fur and sobs openly on his shoulder.*

In all seriousness comming to the fandom has indeed raised my self essteem, I've neglected my Metal Gear Online stuff but even that connected me with another fur. :D
I used to be like those outside, thinking furries were odd, but I've found an accepting group of friends here that I hope to meet IRL at a con one day.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Timberwuff

• Species: Grey Timberwolf
  • Just your everyday wolf
  • Male
    • BitzaWolf.com
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 10:58:25 am »
(shot at humor so let me know if I step over a line.)
Befo' I find Furry, I wa' hook on drugs, in an' outta jail. I could not hold down a job. Furry save my life. Furry give me reason to get out of bed in tha mornin'. *turns to nearest fur and sobs openly on his shoulder.*
Hahahehehe. :)

Becoming more open about being furry has really brightened up my life! I wouldn't say being furry, since I was technically was but, that's before I knew of the fandom. But that time long ago, I was very ashamed of who I was for some reason or other. But now that I can be furry around my family and friends, it's much more fun!

Sooo many long, bad times before I joined the ranks of an open furry. I would stay up till 1 am (that's very late for me) just to look up art (not the adult section mind you), or even wake up at 5 am and completely exhaust myself just to draw or whatever... Not fun at all. :(  But thankfully, that's all over.
'      !
/ \_..._ / \   Follow me on Twitter!
| /  \_ /  \|
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   / 
 /'-- U --' \
 |    .:.     | /\ 
 |   /:;:\  |`  /
 |   |:;:|  |_ -' 
 /   |'-' |  \   
`""`    `""`    (Wuff character by Winter)

Offline Joseck

• Female
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 06:53:26 pm »
If I could be honest, being furry has brought a little stress into my life.

When I came out as gay, I never really suffered disfavor from those I cared about. I put up with a few jerks at school, that was it. It was such a minor event in my life, that I expected coming out as a furry to be just as minor. But when I told my friends, many of whom I've known for years, I was met with skeptic looks. If I read them correctly, their opinion was that I was still their good friend... I was just being immature and delving into the wrong sort of hobby.

I can't say I've suffered actual discrimination. And if a stranger or acquaintance decided to insult me over it, they'd find me laughing. But the idea that my dear, longterm friends would wave off my newfound purpose in life as "a passing bout of eccentricity", really threw me for a loop.

That said, discovering furrydom suddenly put the pieces of my puzzle together for me. It was an "Oooohhhhhh...." moment. It hasn't changed my behavior... I still meow, and bite people, and think horses are sexy, like I always did. But now I know why.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:56:18 pm by Joseck »

Offline Greeblig Venn Aridarr

• No, Cheesoid! That's petrol, not cheese!
  • Female
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 07:02:39 pm »
I feel complete.

I can look at myself without fear.
When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/aridarr/

Searching for someone who will listen to me sing to myself from outside the door without ever letting me know they can hear me...

Offline Draconium

• Author of the Land Before Time War Fan Fiction
  • Male
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 08:45:08 pm »
I'm more accepting of people's differences and I'm certain it threw my already high creativity into overdrive.
Please read and rate my fanfic: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley (Rated PG-13 for violence and profanity)

Click to save the dragon(s):

Offline doritojunkie

• Male
    • :: My FA ::
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 09:28:37 pm »
I've felt that the years of being a furry have brought me a greater appreciation of who I am.  This is great medicine for the self-loathing husky that I am.

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 01:09:58 am »
I don't think Furry has changed me so much as it has set me free.  In grade school I got dumped on pretty hard, so my natural tendency to relate to people got a helluva wet blanket thrown on it.  Not that I'm the bubbly socialite anyway, but it was hard for me to go out and meet people.  I've done some pretty wild things since going furry, at least for my personality.  Yet for all that, I'm still a work in progress.  Hopefully staying in the fandom will keep me from sweating the small stuff.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Dusty

• Male
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 06:08:26 am »
I don't think that my involvement in furry has changed me much at all, honestly (other than maybe becoming more open-minded, though that might be something which was influenced by many different aspects of my life). I mostly just derive enjoyment from the community and conversing with people who have similar interests.

Offline PooKa_the_Corgi

• Imma fluffy ball of doom!
  • Female
    • My Art Page
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 01:53:23 pm »
Being furry changed me for the better. I always felt more comfortable being a corgi than a human. It made me more fearless, brave and less depressed  *hugs corgi self*  wait...how did i just do that? *twins stare at each other then run*
"It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again"

sig background art copyright of Joakim Back
AVATAR art copyright of Jeremy Bernal

Offline Kwan

• They are my Om-Noms and I want them!
  • Female
    • my stuff on  FA
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 06:23:53 pm »
I've become more physically outgoing since getting involved with furry fandom.  In my experience, furry fen are far more likely to hug than other fan-cultures, and of course we have scritching.  But we also tend to lean against each other, snuggle, and so on more.

I come from a very un-physical upbringing; there are hugs for big hellos & goodbyes, not not much else.  I can count on ONE hand the amount of times I've seen my parents kiss, and I don't think I've ever seen them hold hands.  So I was at first nervous with the amount of friendly touching that goes on in the fandom, not having has much experience with it.

I discovered that I rather enjoy being able to share basic affection.  I like being able to reach over & scritch someone's back just to be friendly, I like to 'pounce' on those I care about, and it's a joy to receive both in return.  It's basic innocent contact, but it's come to mean a whole lot to me. 
Card-carrying member of the following fan-clubs:
FarRaptor (in capacity of self-proclaimed Number One Fan-Girl)
Blastdav  (in capacity of Official Tormentor)
Mazz      (Furtopian ambassador ne plus ultra)
White Shepherd (Lo, WS laid hands on Furtopia, and it hath arisen)

Offline Tristan Thilorn

• Male
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 10:26:41 pm »
Furry fandom's helped make me less sheepish about expressing my true feelings (whether they be popular or unpopular).
It's also helped make me more open to the sexual/gender identity and preferences of others (moreso, that is, as I've always considered myself rather tolerant), and in turn, discover my own identity (both in my fursona and gender identity). So the changes it's made are somewhat subtle, but definately there :D

Last.fm Tumblr SoFurry Weasyl

Offline Feathertail

• Writing is Flight!
  • Male
    • Feathertail's Dreamwidth journal
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 11:15:42 pm »
I come from a very un-physical upbringing; there are hugs for big hellos & goodbyes, not not much else.  I can count on ONE hand the amount of times I've seen my parents kiss, and I don't think I've ever seen them hold hands.  So I was at first nervous with the amount of friendly touching that goes on in the fandom, not having has much experience with it.

With you on all counts.

Since joining the fandom I've let down my guard enough to give and accept hugs when needed, at least online. It's really helped when I was feeling traumatized, or hurt, or depressed. It's also given me another way to show concern for others.

I don't remember the last time I've willingly hugged anyone IRL (as opposed to having been ambushed). And I am still uncomfortable with more casual contact. Some of it I'm not sure is appropriate. But a year or two ago I wouldn't have even been talking about this.

It has been very hard to open up in general. Sometimes it still is. I don't think I could do so anywhere else, that was not as safe and supportive.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:19:19 pm by Tachyon »

Offline Mianame

• Female
    • www.mirches.deviantart.com
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 11:22:38 pm »
I have to agree with the others here who have said that they weren't changed. i came into the fandom round abouts the age of twelve or thirteen when I found out we actually had a name. Before that it was always with me, I just didn't know there were others or what to call it.

But coming into the fandom at an age like that would make my decision hard as to whether furry helped or hindered. I was in a state of transformation and probably still will be for years to come. The only things the fandom has really done is connect me to people with similar interests and given me a lot of food for thought and side activities to do like making fursuits. It's a big part of my life, but the basic aspects of furry were in my life before I knew what furry was. Confusing o.o