Author Topic: My Species  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
My Species
« on: January 15, 2013, 02:55:16 am »
So ive been part of the random for about a year now, and I never really questioned my fursona (a dingo) but now, after really thinking about it, I don't feel that's me. I feel like I'm an avian. Is this normal, changing species entirely?

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: My Species
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:01:47 am »
For some people, yes. I've known people who have a different fursona every few months, some more than don't have any specific one but go with whatever they feel like at the time, and others (like me) who settle on one main one but have the odd secondary fursona.
I wouldn't worry about it too much personally. Change is normal.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:00:40 am »
Yeah, alright. :) I just don't want multiple, I want just one. The one that fits me. Thank you.

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:05:37 pm »
Don't forget that you never have to be limited to one species. If you get stuck or feel like it, just merge them, make a cool hybrid.

Offline TravellingStoryteller

• Male
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 02:11:24 pm »
And yet some hybrids don't make much sense. I have seen during my time as a furry some very strange and colorful mixes/hybrids and I ask myself 'does this fursona actually make any sense?

Honestly I would suggest trying out being avian for a few weeks and seeing if it is you, and if not go back to being a dingo. It is perfectly fine to change your mind or try something different.
It is often that only those that fall into darkness come to realize how dear is the light.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 08:48:32 pm »
I know this isn't any help but I can't help it. Be a winged dingo. Try saying this out loud.
" Hi, I'm a winged dingo."
That just sounds to cool.

OK it's probably me. I just got off a 12 hour shift and right now anything sounds funny to me.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Scarlegs

• Hey...Hey kid.....Wanna buy a dishwasher?
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 07:23:00 pm »
You should try out being an avian and see how you feel! Some of my friends too a few years to find their fursona!
Remember to have fun, it'll be frustrating at times but you will find it!
FF FFD3adm A+ C- D H++ M+ P++++ R- T+++ W Z- Z- Sf-- a- e- f++ h* i++ p++
Here is my DA http://scarlegs.deviantart.com/
#A38CF3 < Just a reminder!

Offline Umbreon K

• Male
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 10:10:06 pm »

I actually had the same problem, it is what had me drift out of the community so often. I would make a fursona and try to participate but it wouldn't feel right and I would drift off, after a year or so come back with a new idea and try again.
 Now....now I have it. I can tell, and it may seem weird to some but I just know this is me.

It took me 6 fursonas and 15 years to get here though. Change happens and if it doesn't work out don't get frustrated, when it comes to choosing our fursonas most of us can't see the path before us and tend to make leaps of faith. Some of those leaps work, some don't best thing to do is keep trying because once it clicks...its a great feeling.

Offline Sledge

• Species: Fyr Cat
  • Peace through superior firepower.
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 10:12:17 pm »
I constantly change 'sonas on whims... I have been a raven several times now, and at the moment am a bearcat.
A wise man once said: "don't anger a man who can end you from another zip code."

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum. - If You Want Peace, Prepare For War.

Offline Christiaan

• Male
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 03:05:50 pm »
Well, I have been roleplaying as a furry for 15 years, and I've played as numerous different species. Let me tell you what my experience has been.

No matter how many different species I played, I kept seeing more and more "ferret-like" qualities in them, even when I wasn't even thinking overtly about playing a ferret. Eventually, whenever I would play a "gryphon-like" character, the hinder parts and often even the fore-paws would be those of a ferret. Whenever I would play a "dragon-like" character, I would go for increasingly "slinky" and "ferretty" body types, eventually fur and other wistful things.

However, anytime I played as a ferret, specifically a "non-anthropomorphic" ferret, I realized over time that I just felt "normal." It felt almost unextraordinary to think that someday I'd wake up and realize that I had really always had a four-legged and furry body, and I had just been dreaming that I was human. I picture myself laughing lightly at how silly such a dream is before padding up to my feeding tray to get my breakfast. Maybe my family has left my cage door open, which would mean that I've been behaving myself lately, and maybe I'll spend a lazy afternoon snuggling in the lap of the little towheaded boy who had wanted me as his present for getting good marks. Maybe he'll want to throw things for me to chase for a while first, so I won't be so antsy. A ferret is just what I am, deep down, and I sometimes wake up wondering, have I finally snapped out of this strange dream of being a human? It took me a long time to fully realize that.

It often takes a lot of time to make peace with who you are, as a furry. It takes a lot of experimenting, and some people never really settle on one species. Some people just change species on a whim. Others know what they are right away, and you couldn't persuade them to play as a different species at gunpoint. Each of us is a little different.

So it's normal for you to migrate for a while before settling on something permanent. That makes you average. Maybe there is something deep in you that is a certain animal. Maybe not. If there is, though, it will call out to you. Just give it time.

What sort of avian were you thinking about playing?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:35:46 pm by Christiaan »