Poll

Would you trust a automated system to do the driving?

Yes.
7 (50%)
No.
4 (28.6%)
Undecided.
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Self driving vehicles in our future.  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Self driving vehicles in our future.
« on: June 06, 2016, 11:46:28 am »
It appears auto makers are planning to produce automated cars and trucks in the
near future. Laws and regulations are currently being written for such vehicles.

Those of us  who have had poor experience with computers will likely be against the
idea. Even though we currently have cars and trucks on the road that stop or ajust
their speed and even steer around traffic.

Personally I would only be comfortable in a self driving car if it had 3 computers testing
each other for failure, and if one failed it would either stop on the shoulder of the road
or go to the nearest service center based on it's problems.

Also if it is tied to the internet, there it should have a system that wouldn't allow
changes unless the passenger or traffic required the change. If an unauthorized change
request was detected the car should pull off the road and stop.

Theoretically a automated driving system would be much safer than human drivers, but
only if the control system is as reliable as a human. In that case an accidend due to
system failures should be acceptable. After all nothing is perfect, human or machine.
As is there are around 50,000 deaths a year on our roads.

Some might say."If I am going to die, I want it to be by my won hand." Well we let
others drive us in cars, buses, and planes all the time. Should we trust them?  Some
how I would rather have a car meeting me driven with a automated system than a
driver trying to text his girl friend while driving, or on drugs or drunk.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:08:45 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: Self driving vehicles in our future.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 11:49:37 am »
I'm completely okay with the idea of self driving cars. Has the potential to cut out a lot of human error - And let's face it, humans make a lot of errors in cars, even with the best will in the world, and those who are downright stupid, foolish or sociopathic can ruins a hell of a lot of lives.

Self driving cars also have the potential to open up transport to those with disabilities which prevent driving, without forcing them to use (often subpar) public transport.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 01:05:18 pm »
I'm completely okay with the idea of self driving cars. Has the potential to cut out a lot of human error - And let's face it, humans make a lot of errors in cars,

Technology is only as good as the person developing/programming it. Even with an automated car, you might still get "human error" if a person improperly designed/programmed the car in some way. ;)

I don't trust automated cars, buses, trains, planes, etc.  :P There's too many variables that could go wrong. As hard as a person might try to program an automated car with every eventuality that might happen from bad weather/road conditions to flat tire to crashes, etc., you can't predict and program for everything. That is why a human element is needed.

Long, long ago, Luftwaffe ace Adolf Galland wrote the following:

“Only the spirit of attack borne of a brave heart will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.”

The same could almost be said of an automated car and/or any other vehicle or technology. Only a human has that intuition, drive, resourcefulness, determination, instinct, and other factors that an automated system lacks in order to succeed in whatever endeavor may be called for. Technology may be great at some things. But it will never be great at all things. I'll stick to having a human drive a car, Thank You very much. ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:06:53 pm by Kobuk »

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 07:52:30 pm »
I voted yes. I can see them more in use in larger cities. Not so much on open highways. The more vehicles around the more information can be shared.  All cars moving at the same time through a green like means more gets through. Without adding time to the light. And less accidents at intersections. I don't think satellites are the answer. I would be safer if markers or hubs be placed around and in a city. There would be less chaos derring a solar storm.

Agree that human error will always be a factor. However if the vehicle is 'known' by all the vehicles around it then the reaction time would be faster. Reducing the number of serious accidents. Not eliminating them all together.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 12:48:46 am »
Self driving cars also have the potential to open up transport to those with disabilities which prevent driving, without forcing them to use (often subpar) public transport.

I agree 100% with Loc. As an undiagnosed dyspraxic, I can tell you a self driving car would be a godsend. I have gotten into several severe accidents, potentially killing myself and others in the process. A self driving car would be a great help to a lot of people who cannot drive, including people like me.
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 12:01:05 pm »
Automated transportation will likely take many years to implement. In the beginning
there will be claims that the automated vehicle was at fault. Especailly by those who
caused the accident themselves. People already make claims it was the other drivers
fault.

I imagine the automated vehicle will have a record of the collision so most will likely
show who's fault it really was. Still the public tends to believe a negative more than a
positive. So many will still feel it was the fault of the machine.

Over the last few years Google has had a automated car on our highways, and after
a million miles only one minor accident occurred. A record most any driver would be
proud of.

I understand many of those planning for automated transportation feel one will not
even own a car, but ask for a ride with their smart phone or tablet. The car arrives
and takes you where you wish to go. For a fee of course. This will be very good for
the disabled. The automated vehicles could range from small buses to private car
like vehicles, depending on how much of a hurry your in or how much you wish to
pay.

Many people love to drive, so many cars will likely be able to be automatic or not.
It will likely take several generations before there isn't any cars that don't drive
themselves. It's likely in the future governments will set lanes aside for automated
vehicles. so those wanting to drive themselves will find it harder to get around.

We might want to keep a bicycle handy incase the system breaks down.  :D

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:10:06 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline some_random_wusky

• Species: a wusky, of course!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 12:26:24 pm »
self driving vehicles would be nice. then, you would never have to worry about directions, accidents, or texting while driving.
honestly thinks we need another mass extinction

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 11:08:21 pm »
I thinking self driving  cars not just rid sharing but  the growing Boomer  elderly population.