Author Topic: Trump administration bans words used in official documents.  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Trump administration bans words used in official documents.
« on: December 17, 2017, 11:35:37 am »
How far will Trump go? Requiring government workers to not use words like
Transgender, scientific evidence, ect in their public reports.

I know government workers have limits on public comments for
politics, but thisisn't about political statements. The GOP has fought
against ideas their big business supporters don't agree with for years.
Now Trump has joined the battle.

The following link has more info on the subject.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-cdc-forbidden-words-20171215-story.html
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 11:37:59 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Trump administration bans words used in official documents.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 11:45:10 am »
What a joke this is.  :D I am literally laughing at this right now! So now Trump and his crooked cronies can limit "freedom of speech" by telling people what words they can use? How ridiculous! So now they can't use "science-based" or "evidence-based"? What are we supposed to use now.......Faith-based?

Offline 9141702

• Species: Anthro Rat
  • Male
Re: Trump administration bans words used in official documents.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 06:13:57 am »
What a joke this is.  :D I am literally laughing at this right now! So now Trump and his crooked cronies can limit "freedom of speech" by telling people what words they can use? How ridiculous! So now they can't use "science-based" or "evidence-based"? What are we supposed to use now.......Faith-based?

I'm certainly not taking sides with Trump here, but "Freedom of speech" as a concept has a lot of ifs, buts and limitations attached to it. According to some "First Amendment for Dummies" pieces I read recently, you pretty much don't have freedom of speech in the workplace. If your employer tells you to use (or not use) certain language or phrases, then you either do as you're told or hit the bricks and go work for an institution not run by professional truth-benders.

"The First Amendment only protects government employees when they are speaking as a private citizen. If the government employee's speech is part of their official job duties, they can be disciplined or fired for what they say" <- One example among many I found while reading up on an unrelated matter.

I agree it is ridiculous, but if the Constitution allows for it then really the only weapon you have at your disposal is the ballot box!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 06:23:27 am by Fern Rat »