Author Topic: Transgender icons.  (Read 6274 times)

Offline Epsy

Transgender icons.
« on: March 08, 2008, 07:53:49 am »
I feel as if the trangenders in this website should be represented by the gender symbols that appear below a member's name and title. Too many times have I looked at those and I have been conflicted with the choice of either male or female, or neither. So, I suggest that you use one of the two following symbols, and make them represent a new choice in the 'sex' drop down box in the edit profile area; "Transgender."

http://www.lambda.org/Gensymb-Androg.gif

http://www.gendertalk.com/img/logo/tg/glogobw50.gif

(With the second one, the reverse triangle isn't a requirement. And of course you can make the symbols smaller and what not. Just wanted to show you what the symbols look like.)

I prefer the second one, but the first one might be easier to incorporate. Which ever one you feel is best is fine though. :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 07:56:53 am by Naomi Maru »
Avatar credit goes to Sheeta, thanks!
http://www.textswell.com/read,4206682163599 = Epsy fursona description

Offline Lobar

• *begs for pineapple*
  • Male
Re: Transgender icons.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 11:08:32 pm »
Whipped one up quick:

I waive copyright and right to distribute blah blah bloobity bloo.
   Now,
       let's go play, together...
Together under the
             clearest of blue skies.

Offline Nocte

• Male
    • http://unicorn.furtopia.org/
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 08:46:29 am »
This will be difficult to implement.  Everywhere in the code, gender is handled through an either-or construct.  I'll keep it in mind, but I'm afraid it can't be done on a short term.
Drawing tutorial
FEHu3a A+ C D-- H M- P R++ T W-- Z Sm- RLCT a cl++++ d+ e+++ f- h+++ i++ j p sm*

Offline Epsy

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 10:10:39 am »
Oh, okay. I thank you for looking into it.

And thanks for the symbol, Lobar, it's perfect.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 10:20:11 am by Naomi Maru »

Offline Kada-Ru

• Species: Golden Blue Pegasus
  • Female
    • Kaycy's Creations for Fun
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 04:21:17 pm »
I would see a problem with having these icons.  For one, members that are against this type of sexuality will be able to find them much easier and can possibly cause problems for that member.

As for choosing, I would go with the one you PLAN on being.  If you are a male and really want to be a female, select female.  Vice-versa.  Just an easy solution to the confusion.. :)

Offline Epsy

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 04:33:59 pm »
I would see a problem with having these icons.  For one, members that are against this type of sexuality will be able to find them much easier and can possibly cause problems for that member.

I think if someone wanted to find transsexuals for no reason other than to ridicule them, there are plenty of transsexual-based forums they would look towards before a furry one. But, I do see your point.

Offline scoobert

• If a bear poops in the woods, does he wipe?
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 03:57:47 pm »
its a good idea to have a trans icon, however make sure we can know what way you are going. those symbols dont say but the fact that you are.
but we would also need ones for cross dressing, role playing, abstaining... ECT. maby make the sex box text so that they could put whats they would like there?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 04:00:11 pm by scoobert »
The days of my youth have passed away, behold, i am 25, single, and well-off~ 
-ME

How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.
-Adolf Hitler

Offline Heaven Implode

• Species: Grey Wolf
  • Holier Than Thou
    • earfolds
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 04:22:50 pm »
I don't mind about the icons - sure, it's nice to be proud of being transgendered, especially as I don't consider myself "wholly female" or male, either. It's annoying, however, that modern society as it stands still believes the world is "black or white" so, given this, I would still classify myself as "female" despite most people considering me male anyway. It's my own little rebellion.

I am still considering surgery, but it's early days and I may just remain transvestite and cross-gendered.
woof

Offline Gwyndolium

• Male
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 04:47:23 pm »
I actually don't really like these symbols for one that alot of people will confuse them with the herm status which probably isn't the reason behind this at all.
<br /><br />FC3ar A C- D++++ H M- P+++ R-- T++ W Z- Sm+++ RLET a- cw d# e f h* i+ j++ p+ sm+

Offline Epsy

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 04:54:25 pm »
I actually don't really like these symbols for one that alot of people will confuse them with the herm status which probably isn't the reason behind this at all.

I don't know how they could confuse it with the herm status unless they really don't know anything about hermaphrodites or transsexuals.

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 05:32:03 pm »

I don't know how they could confuse it with the herm status unless they really don't know anything about hermaphrodites or transsexuals.

That's probably true of many people, unfortunately. Gwyndolium makes a good point, though... if I saw an icon like that, I would assume it meant your fursona was a herm (there are similar herm icons in use on Yiffstar and other such forums). Whereas when I see your female icon, I assume you're female, which is closer to the truth.

Offline Gwyndolium

• Male
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 04:59:51 am »
It's just as the above. And I rather like to see you as female than as herm  ;)
<br /><br />FC3ar A C- D++++ H M- P+++ R-- T++ W Z- Sm+++ RLET a- cw d# e f h* i+ j++ p+ sm+

Offline Siege

• Male
    • Siege's Snippets
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 11:35:44 am »
The problem is the usual confusion between RL and character gender. Most people don't know anything about RL transgenderism, hermaphroditism or transsexuality; meanwhile, any number of characters in furry fandom have both male and female genitals, or switch genders at will.
Dragons have treasure better than gold.

"If code can be speech, then software can be art."

Visit WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia! Alternatively, Visit Siege's Snippets!

Offline Kwan

• They are my Om-Noms and I want them!
  • Female
    • my stuff on  FA
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 03:57:11 pm »
The problem is the usual confusion between RL and character gender.
Exactly.  I tend to think that the gender symbol is for the RL person, not a character or fursona.   
But, some people want their membership & their posting to be 'in character', or as if their fursona were doing the posting instead of the RL flesh-and-blood being typing the stuff out.  This has caused a little confusion from time to time. 

I've seen several suggestions for symbols that specifically represent someone's gender/transgender/herm/morphic/dismorphia/asexual status.  It seems as soon as someone comes up with a symbol, there's two or three others who reject it, saying "That doesn't apply to ME."

When it's all said & done, members are going to choose whatever symbol they want the others to perceive them to be.   Personally I don't care what anyone displays, as long as they're happy with it.

....meanwhile, any number of characters in furry fandom have both male and female genitals, or switch genders at will.

Or against their will.
<.<
>.>
::Splashes cold water on Siege.::
Card-carrying member of the following fan-clubs:
FarRaptor (in capacity of self-proclaimed Number One Fan-Girl)
Blastdav  (in capacity of Official Tormentor)
Mazz      (Furtopian ambassador ne plus ultra)
White Shepherd (Lo, WS laid hands on Furtopia, and it hath arisen)

Offline Siege

• Male
    • Siege's Snippets
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 04:53:16 pm »
*goes to dry off, wondering why he got splashed instead of the person who got excited*
Dragons have treasure better than gold.

"If code can be speech, then software can be art."

Visit WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia! Alternatively, Visit Siege's Snippets!

Offline Epsy

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 05:54:59 pm »
The problem is the usual confusion between RL and character gender.
Exactly.  I tend to think that the gender symbol is for the RL person, not a character or fursona.   
But, some people want their membership & their posting to be 'in character', or as if their fursona were doing the posting instead of the RL flesh-and-blood being typing the stuff out.  This has caused a little confusion from time to time. 

I've seen several suggestions for symbols that specifically represent someone's gender/transgender/herm/morphic/dismorphia/asexual status.  It seems as soon as someone comes up with a symbol, there's two or three others who reject it, saying "That doesn't apply to ME."

When it's all said & done, members are going to choose whatever symbol they want the others to perceive them to be.   Personally I don't care what anyone displays, as long as they're happy with it.

....meanwhile, any number of characters in furry fandom have both male and female genitals, or switch genders at will.

Or against their will.
<.<
>.>
::Splashes cold water on Siege.::

That's certainly true.

And I love Ranma 1/2 :p

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 01:30:23 pm »
I think Naomi Maru actually has a good alternative here, possibly without realizing it. I'm referring to the icon in the "signature" area. Not only can you put whatever symbol you want there, but you can including text to explain it further if you want.