not-so-furry discussion > debate forum

Let's get rid of the ACA, but is this a good idea?

(1/2) > >>

Old Rabbit:
The GOP and likely others hate the ACA (Obamacare) They provided much
misinformation trying to prevent it's passing into law. The GOP wants less
government and will oppose almost anything to reach this goal. Even if it
results in the suffering and deaths of many many americans.

Now the GOP is working to get rid of it and they say they will replace it with a
lower cost program. Even though they don't have any thing ready to replace it
with.

I wonder how many people know that much about it. I think many people see it
as a bad idea that costs me a lot of money when I could get coverage cheaper.

The ACA is more than just a market place where insurance companies post their
wares.  It pays for preventitive care against Colon Cancer, and Breast Cancer for
women to name two.

It provides substidies to people who can't afford the high cost of insurance.
Like most things our government provides. It needs fixes, but the GOP has
faught to kill it not fix it. They and most working people have insurance, so
they think the less than 10% of americans who can't afford or don't have
insurance can get along without the ACA.

Many people who had insurance before the ACA didn't have the coverage they
needed. THat's why the ACA required people to have adequate insurance. In the
past hospitals and doctors were loosing money because the uninsured or under
insured never paid for the needed service. The GOP managed to keep the states
from being required to provide subsidies  or to do their part. This weakened the
plan, otherwise even more people would likely be covered.

So lets debate the value of the ACA to americans.

It's ok to just have a general opinon without a link. Since often a personal idea mght
not have political comments or facts to support it. I know I have many opions of my
own.  :D  As with all debates if you do wish to contest an opinon you should
have some facts to back it up.

cause the rat:
The biggest problem with Obama Care is it's penalties. it's actually cheaper to pay the fines than it is to have the insurance. Unlike driving without auto insurance. These fines are steep. On top of that you will have to pay more for auto insurance because you were caught without it. If the fines for not caring Obama Care were 2X+50% of the going rate then it would be cheaper to have it. Less people would choose to pay the low fines.

I'm only posting this for those who don't know this. The more healthy people caring insurance the cheaper the total cost for everyone. So lest say the average yearly cost for 10.000 people would be 1000. If 20.000 people had that same insurance the cost would be 600. This is just an example.

Both the house and senate have been the worst we've had in a few generations. They spent the last eight years more interested in political propaganda than Americans.  The real reason to replace Obama Care is to change it's name.

Kobuk:
If Trump and the GOP are going to gut Obamacare, then don't do it till they actually have a replacement plan ready to go and be implemented. If they don't have a replacement plan ready yet, then keep Obamacare as it is until they do.

You never want to get rid of something till you have a replacement all ready to go. ;)

Old Rabbit:

--- Quote from: cause the rat on January 14, 2017, 01:49:37 pm ---The biggest problem with Obama Care is it's penalties. it's actually cheaper to pay the fines than it is to have the insurance. Unlike driving without auto insurance. These fines are steep. On top of that you will have to pay more for auto insurance because you were caught without it. If the fines for not caring Obama Care were 2X+50% of the going rate then it would be cheaper to have it. Less people would choose to pay the low fines.

I'm only posting this for those who don't know this. The more healthy people caring insurance the cheaper the total cost for everyone. So lest say the average yearly cost for 10.000 people would be 1000. If 20.000 people had that same insurance the cost would be 600. This is just an example.

Both the house and senate have been the worst we've had in a few generations. They spent the last eight years more interested in political propaganda than Americans.  The real reason to replace Obama Care is to change it's name.

--- End quote ---

I agree, the GOP has made a huge deal out of getting rid of the ACA instead of fixing it. Now
they are in a box. They can get rid of it, but likely at a big political cost. So I kind of  figure
it may become Trump Care instead of Obama Care.

Acton:
I say replace it, and not with single payer. Going repealing it back before Obamacare is not enough. I was turn down for  an individual healthcare insurance for preexisting conditions, but had no problem with temporary health insurance to tied my over until  I got on a company plan at the next job or cobra.    Now cobra and premiums  is unaffordable.  Then there the failure of here of Oregon of  both  Cover Oregon, the healthcare  exchange and  Oregon's  Healthcare Co-OP  that is under liquidation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version