not-so-furry discussion > news forum

Year of the tornado?

(1/3) > >>

Ziel:
What better topic to kick off this new section than the weather!

There have been a lot of tornadoes this year so far, including some in unusual places and some unusually strong for this time of year. The latest installment happened today near Dallas. It sounds like there may have been multiple tornadoes that touched down in the area.  Many were without power as of this afternoon, and I assume most of those still haven't gotten it back yet.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those from the area, and their relatives. I can't imagine losing everything in one afternoon like that.

Jet:
THE SKY IS FALLING! (:

But seriously, maybe there's some major climate change affecting these tornadoes. I wish anyone in these areas the best. All we can do is hope.

Narei Mooncatt:
A friend of mine (also a furry and trucker working for the same company I do :) ) was at our Dallas terminal yesterday when the tornados blew through. The terminal is less than a mile from the Schneider one that took a direct hit. Ours didn't get hit, but he was able to snap this pic as that one came by.

To give you an idea of just how close the terminals are, here's a LINK to a Google map satellite view of the two. In the very upper right by the map/satellite toggle button is the Schneider terminal. Our terminal is at the very bottom left, bordered by the interstate, S Lancaster Rd., and Cherry Valley Rd.

furtopia02:
I can't even begin to capture in this reply what has been going on here. It's.. well, it's gone.  Mile wide tornado ripped a line I think over 90 miles long through here and wiped out everything in its path, including my wife's hometown which is completely reduced to rubble now, and what isn't obliterated to the foundations by the tornado must be torn down now anyway because it's structural unsound.

Google search to get you started. https://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=west+liberty+tornado&oq=west+liberty+tornado&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_l=hp.3..0l10.6337l12374l1l12540l23l22l1l5l5l3l759l5225l0j6j3j2j1j3j1l16l0.frgbld.&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=bb242dc4ab43ba95&biw=1366&bih=674

National TV media greatly downplayed the entire thing and even flat out skipped over it in most cases except for Weather Channel (who was here). So.. it's not much surprise that most people I've showed this to from other places or told about it either scoff at it as some sort of exaggeration or don't believe me. The pictures and videos don't even do it justice. Luckily there is a lot of help coming from federal money; if it were not for that it would be even worse right now. People really pitched in with donations (my wife and I included) and search, rescue, and cleanup efforts. I'm amazed there were not more fatalities than we had with such amounts of debris getting piled on top of people and trapping people beneath the buildings in town.

GregHoofen:
considering how bad last year was around this time, I suspect my state to be hit harder this year.  I wouldn't;t mind going storm chasing either always been A dream of mine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version