furry arts discussion > fursuits, plushies, and costuming

Furrries and PETA.

(1/3) > >>

Hans the husky:
I recently came across this article:
https://www.peta.org/blog/dear-furries-please-dont-wear-real-fur-love-peta/.
I 'm not the type to get butthurt about everything but really, this feels kind of demeaning. I don't even think that real fur- fursuits are a thing. I love the responsd though "Dear Shawna:

Real fur is frowned upon at all furry conventions, in the same sense that leaping in front of speeding locomotives is frowned upon at comic book conventions.

Yours truly,

Samuel Conway, Ph.D.
Chairman and CEO
Anthrocon, Inc."

Then they went on to send a followup asking Furcon to completely ban real fur. God, just leave people alone and go do something usefull instead of bothering us for no reason.

Jade Sinapu:
 Oh wow.  If PETA got it,  they never would have asked that silly question!

A fur suit made of real fur has been done,  but not in the furry fandom. I think it was a dog suit for a play back in early 1900's?

I think there is a link somewhere deep in this forum about it.

I like the response by Dr. Conway. :D

Hans the husky:

--- Quote from: Jade Sinapu on September 07, 2020, 10:49:09 am --- Oh wow.  If PETA got it,  they never would have asked that silly question!

A fur suit made of real fur has been done,  but not in the furry fandom. I think it was a dog suit for a play back in early 1900's?

I think there is a link somewhere deep in this forum about it.

I like the response by Dr. Conway. :D

--- End quote ---
I heard that some people use fur for small details byt it's just plain ignorance to think that it's normal to use real fur to make fursuits.

Kobuk:
The topic is lost somewhere in these vast forums, but I'm pretty sure there have been people who made or tried to make ear sets or tails with real animal fur.
People who do use real fur for fursuits or fursuit parts are rare. If they do, they don't "advertise" their accomplishments much for fear of possibly getting ridiculed. And a person showing up at a  furcon with a fursuit part made with real fur or trying to sell something in the dealer's den made with real fur will be looked at in a not so favorable light so to speak.  :P

Trivia note: If I'm not too mistaken, the Cowardly Lion costume from the original Wizard of Oz movie was made with real lion fur.

P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals  :D I could go for some ham, bacon, and burgers right about now.  :goldbloody:

Hans the husky:

--- Quote from: Kobuk on September 07, 2020, 01:11:10 pm ---The topic is lost somewhere in these vast forums, but I'm pretty sure there have been people who made or tried to make ear sets or tails with real animal fur.
People who do use real fur for fursuits or fursuit parts are rare. If they do, they don't "advertise" their accomplishments much for fear of possibly getting ridiculed. And a person showing up at a  furcon with a fursuit part made with real fur or trying to sell something in the dealer's den made with real fur will be looked at in a not so favorable light so to speak.  :P

Trivia note: If I'm not too mistaken, the Cowardly Lion costume from the original Wizard of Oz movie was made with real lion fur.

P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals  :D I could go for some ham, bacon, and burgers right about now.  :goldbloody:

--- End quote ---
I heard that it would be very difficult to make a suit with real fur, plus, with allergy problems, it would most likely be impractical. I wonder what it might look like as I can't find any pictures on line.

On the ethics: I personally eat meat but I don't know how I would feel about killing an amimal for a costume.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version