Author Topic: MLP: FiM Brony & Pony Discussion Phread  (Read 57082 times)

Offline 489109

• Male
MLP: FiM Brony & Pony Discussion Phread
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:44:29 pm »
A few months ago, I started a message phread over at Here that started off discussing and sharing the MLP: FiM animated series. Well, who would have thought that 5 pages later, it would become a serious discussion phread of all things Pony?

So, before an Admin or Mod comes in and takes our phread away or move it somewhere else, I tought it would be best to open a new phread here to discuss Brony & Pony related topics.

For newcomers, you might be asking yourself; What is a Brony? A Brony is a fan of the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic series that is outside of their original target demographic. So, if you love the series, art, fan fics or anything MLP related and you are not an 8-year old girl, you are a Brony. Welcome to the herd.

We have other Brony related phreads as well scattered thoughout Furtopia. As new ones pop up I will edit the following list. But to save yourself some hunting here are the ones I know already:

Animated Series and Video phread is found here
What's your Cutie Mark phread is found here
Brony Art phread can be found somewhere else. We need someone to start this.
Friendship is a Fan Fic phread is not found anywhere. Perhaps you can start one?

Feel free to discuss anything Pony and Brony related in here, just as the Topic description says; keep it furry.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:49:16 pm by Liedt »

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: MLP: FiM Brony & Pony Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:54:47 pm »
So, before an Admin or Mod comes in and takes our phread away or move it somewhere else, I tought it would be best to open a new phread here to discuss Brony & Pony related topics.

Just so long as this new current thread you started isn't related to anything photo or video-wise since you have that other thread in the Photo/Vid forum. ;) We don't need two duplicate threads discussing MLP videos, pics, etc.

Brony Art phread can be found somewhere else. We need someone to start this.

I'll assume this would be a thread that would go in Artwork Announcements or Sharing & Artistry forums?

Friendship is a Fan Fic phread is not found anywhere. Perhaps you can start one?

I'll assume this would be in the Literature forum, correct?

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:11:51 pm »
The last two which you are questioning are placeholders. I predict the Brony movement growing, we don't have anyone making their own Pony OCs (Original Character) yet or attempting their own hand at Shipping (Pairing two or more Ponies in a short story) Fiction, I am sure it will come. Then, instead of having them lost in the myriad of thousands of other posts, they can be quickly located in one phread. If they start to branch for continuity sake, I can add more links to the first post as necessary.

The main purpose of this phread is two fold; 1) Be a quick reference for all the Brony goodness that can be found here in Furtopia and 2) be the general topics center for us to chit chat about being Brony.

There was quite a tangent on the Photo/Video phread which nearly derailed it since there was no other phread that was housing Brony talk. This one will fit that bill.

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:19:44 pm »
I've been really curious about this show. I don't have the channel it's on. Why's it so popular among older folks?
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:44:23 pm »
So we don't talk directly about the show here, but we talk about anything else related to loving and tolerating the crap outta stuff?

Sure, sounds good, but I'd expect a lot of people to get confused between the two threads.
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 08:38:49 pm »
Why not make an entire Brony sub-forum?
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:48:05 pm »
Why not make an entire Brony sub-forum?

To quote something I said long ago in the Suggestion forum:
The more forums/boards we have, then the more the staff have to watch. No offense, but I don't relish making my workload any bigger than it already is.
If we add another board, then we have to take into consideration if the "traffic flow" for that new board justifies us having it. If people don't see it, use it, etc., then it just sits there and doesn't get used, then why have it?

The sub-forums barely get used as it is except for the occasional thread in the Furry Tech Talk forum.

Offline TCD

• Furry Elitist
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:57:23 pm »
Sup.

Also, I have "Winter Wrap Up" stuck in my head, as I have the past four days. It's beginning to bug me.

And, Pinkie Pie Love.

I feel the need as well to give a shoutout to my favorite (okay, only) Pony fanfic. Written by a genuine furry--or at least they have an FA--it is called "Fallout: Equestria." Will not link, because it is 18+, but y'all can google it. It is very, very good. And getting better.

At least 20% better.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:02:42 pm by TCD »
My Furaffinity! May contain mature images.
FFLw3ad A C D+ H++ M- P+++ R++ T++ W Z- Sf+ RLGP* a cn++ d+ e++ f+ h i++ p* sm+

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 10:02:38 pm »
So we don't talk directly about the show here, but we talk about anything else related to loving and tolerating the crap outta stuff?

Sure, sounds good, but I'd expect a lot of people to get confused between the two threads.

Take the second half of the thread in photo/video... that's more what this is for. Discussing the ponies in the show, original character ideas (save art for the art thread), general thoughts/ideas on the show as a whole.

I feel like the other thread will likely die off a bit for now, but will be able to be picked back up once season 2 starts up. Then, there will be actual discussion of the individual episodes going and and such. Though I'm sure some of that will inevitably work its way into here, too. Come to think of it, do we really bother with the video thread? Unless it's for sharing a pony-related video we made?  *gets lost in thought*

Anyhow, this thread has certainly started more as a discussion of the structure of future pony-related topics than anything about MLP:FIM in general.

Soo...

*looks around*

Well, don't expect me to actually come up with something to get a relevant conversation going. There's a reason I typically just lurk on forums.

How about this: Where did you first hear about the show and why did you start watching it? (I'll answer later)

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline TCD

• Furry Elitist
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 10:05:51 pm »
First heard about it on the JACK forum, started watching it because a lot of people there were like THIIIS ISSS SO AWESOME. I have no idea why I continue watching it, though. I mean, not negatively. It's just good, that's the only explaination I can give when people ask.

I've gotten....4? IRL people to watch it, too.
My Furaffinity! May contain mature images.
FFLw3ad A C D+ H++ M- P+++ R++ T++ W Z- Sf+ RLGP* a cn++ d+ e++ f+ h i++ p* sm+

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 10:24:54 pm »
I sort of vaguely became aware of the show through The Internet, where I spend way too much of my free time.  Mainly, though, I heard this catchy tune that I had no idea where it came from... it was Winter Wrap-Up.  I didn't really become a brony right away, but I thought it was a not-bad thing for people to be interested in.  Then I started watching the episodes in earnest, and now I understand the odd appeal of the show, but there are no words to explain it! :D
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 10:31:26 pm »
I first started seeing a lot of MLP general art being posted on FA, though wasn't specifically FiM style stuff, so thought it was just a fad the fandom was going through. Then I saw the original thread on here and realized there was the new series, and later heard the cast of a podcast I listen to start to obsess over it so I figured I'd see what it was all about. I watched the first couple of episodes because I was bored and had some free time, then it kept gnawing at me to see more. As seems to be the norm of the Brony community, once I got past episode 4, there was no going back.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 10:49:40 pm »
Here's how it happened:

Friend: So whose your favorite pony?

Me: What?

Friend: You don't watch MLP: Friendship is Magic?

Me: No..

Friend: You should.

Me: Really? Alright..

Then it was about 3:00 AM and I was declared sentient dead :P.

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 11:13:33 pm »
I think it was all the random references on the internet as well as people here who got me interested. Either way I'm glad they did.
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 11:45:18 pm »
Just tried it. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Things this cute hide only evil.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Ragnorrock_13

• Spread the love
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 12:01:15 am »
When I was little, that was all my daycare watched. :o x_x That TV show still gives me nightmares. *shiver*
Next time, I'll collect the money, and you can die!
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 12:21:26 am »
Also, I have "Winter Wrap Up" stuck in my head, as I have the past four days. It's beginning to bug me.

ME TOO. For some reason, that's the song that lodged in my head after my marathon. (Well, and this one.) I actually had the Youtube video open all day at work and was sneaking in views periodically. :D

Anyway. I came back to the forum in May to discover that all my friends had somehow transformed into gibbering bronies. I was like, "Friends, you have confused me greatly with your actions. But I guess I see the appeal, so I will be supportive." I was curious, but also way too busy to actually watch the show, so I just kept an eye on your conversations without knowing what you were talking about. Then, two days ago, I got home from work and was planning to spend a quiet night answering email and such, when on the spur of the moment I just looked up and said: "Every episode. Right here. Right now. LET'S DO THIS."

The rest is, um, copiously documented history.

And I still haven't answered those emails.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:36:24 am by Arbutus »

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 12:37:51 am »
Don't worry Arb, I'll cure you of your dreaded pony-itis with my newest invention. I call it "The Brain-Spoon". Now hold very still while remove the top of your skull. Don't worry, I'll seal it back up with searing hot molten tar. :)
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Prince Karo

• Admewnistrator
  • Species: Fluffy-tailed kitten
  • i am watching yooou.. :3
  • Male
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/princekaro/
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 12:58:34 am »
No pony topic is complete without...

PONY RANKING TIEM!!11

My ranking:

Fluttershy > Pinkie Pie > Rarity > Twilight Sparkle > Rainbow Dash > Applejack

yay~
My art: click here

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 01:11:37 am »
I just wrote a letter in to The Brony Show about this due to them always discussing who's the best pony. Here's my letter verbatem:

I've been listening since episode one and been thinking about the reoccuring question of who your guests think the best pony is. I'm going to have to say there isn't one. At least not that has been presented yet. Sure, having favorites is fine. I am partial to Flutter Shy of the main cast, but I also love Vinyl Scratch and Scootaloo (if only for her name and Evinrude wings). But can there be a "best" pony? Well, if you go by personality, then no. They are all so different that they can't be compared. They all have their special traits that distinguish them from the other ponies and I don't think you can say one is better than the other.

Now, and arguement could be had for Twighlight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash. Twighlight was the mystical 6th element of harmony in Ep. 2. Going by traditional storytelling, any time you combine elements of any power, the result is always a power greater than any one single element. The whole "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts" idea. The counter point is that her element couldn't be discovered without ALL of her other friends there too, so you could call in to question her power being so great. Then again, Princes Celestia did mention how great her raw ability was in the Cutie Mark Chronicles. But that brings me to Rainbow Dash. Twighlight was only able to get her cutie mark after the sonic rainboom. Same as the rest of the group. So you could argue that the results of the rainboom makes Rainbow Dash the best. The counter point to that is either it's a massive coincedence, or Princes Trollest.... I mean Celestia had some scheming plan in place all along. So does this mean that Celestia is actually the the best pony?

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 03:19:44 am »
I thought it was wierd that I watched some of the MPL moves with my sister sister when we were little. But I find your knowledge of MLP unsettling.

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 09:44:15 am »
I got into it after being bombarded by pony fanart by my DA watchlist, and had to find out what all the fuss was about x: I started watching it and couldn't stop D: If I find the DVD for the series anywhere I'm soooo having a sleepover pony marathon with my friends, they have to know its awesomeness O:

Also I had a MLP birthday cake this year =>.>=

And my pony ranking :D

Pinkie Pie > Rarity > Rainbow Dash > Fluttershy > Applejack > Twilight Sparkle

EDIT: IDEAAAA :O There needs to be a poll of pony lovings, I'd make one but I don't know all the extra ponies. =>.>=
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:46:33 am by Saloonka »

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 10:00:07 am »
Oh no Narei, you've joined the ranks of haters and have placed Princess Celestia into Trollism. I myself am not going to be part of tht contingent. I see her as the Benevolent Dictator. Sure she manipulates, plots and scemes every move she makes, much like a champion chess player, but the outcome everytime has always been the best for her subjects, the Ponies of Equestria.

As a matter of full disclosure, I will have to say that I am a ranking officer in the Royal Army of Equestria. Since I'm not a Unicorn or Pegusi I don't live in Canterlot with the Royal Guard or in Cloudsdale with Blue Fliers, but I live on the ground with the Cavalry. Can't wait til my Pony OC commission comes in and you can me in my full Army uniform.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

How did I get involved with the Bronies? It all started with that darn sight FA. As one or two of you might recall, I am an Ungulate and speak about pro-Ungulate things as often as I can. Hence, I belong to a number of Hoofer type groups in the FA community. Around late December, about 1-1/2 months after MLP: FiM started up, the moderator of one of my Pro-Hoofer groups posted about the new MLP series and how amazing it was this time. I knew the Mod personally, he was straight, male, 20-something and definitely not in the target demographic of 8-10 year old girls. So if he was impressed, it must really have something behind it.

So I watched Episode 11: Winter Wrap Up. I was a little lost with the forged relationships between the mane 6. But when Twilight Sparkle started singing, my jaw hit the floor and the first thing I thought was "This is not the MLP I grew up with". the corners of my mouth started to curl and I was smiling for the rest of the show. I immediately watched Episodes 1 & 2 on youtube then what-ever I could on the Hub site. Lauren had me in her hooves since.

Since the show is on its break, between seasons, I've been branching out, much like Narei and catching what I can with Podcasts, PMVs, Art dump sites, etc. I'm not a huge Fan Fic guy but I think by the time I'm finished with my OCS (Only 1 month to go) I'll be reading those too. IFC con is coming up and I'm already working with DashaRhosenwyn from FA to put togehter a combined Hoofer/MLP panel. She's doing most of the legwork, I'm putting together a Powerpoint.

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 10:18:59 am »

EDIT: IDEAAAA :O There needs to be a poll of pony lovings, I'd make one but I don't know all the extra ponies. =>.>=

Take a look at these two References:

List of MLP: FiM Ponies WIKI.
Shipping/Fusion Chart for Fan Fic Pony Naming.

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 10:34:05 am »
That's a fair few ponies you've got there, it'll have to be cut down a bit =>.>=