Author Topic: Introducing Midwestria!  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Sheeta

• Species: Kittygirl!
  • By the power of Grayskull
  • Female
    • FurAffinity
Introducing Midwestria!
« on: April 02, 2012, 12:53:15 pm »
http://www.midwestria.org/

For my fellow Northern & Mid Illinois/Southern Wisconsin bronies, a new convention is coming up on September 14-16.  While I haven't pre-reg'd yet (my main convention focus right now is trying to get to Anthrocon) I do plan to be there, hopefully selling my art and just having a grand ol' good time.  Check it out!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:56:16 pm by Sheeta »
It's Steely Dan, not Steely Dan't

"People are into it for all sorts of reasons, but I think most people here just think animal people are neat to draw." --"Sue"

Stop by!  www.furaffinity.net/user/nubiankitten7
             www.nubiankitten.deviantart.com/

Offline Shim

• Male
Re: Introducing Midwestria!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:28:03 pm »
I'd love to go if time permits!

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 01:40:10 am »
Oh man, I know *exactly* where that hotel is!  The WCRA Mid-Winter Hamfest that I go to every year used to be located at the DuPage Expo Center, which is located right next door to the Pheasant Run Resort.  I used to park in their parking lot for that event.  It is right by the DuPage Airport.  It has been a few years since the hamfest has been located there, so my memory of the hotel is a bit fuzzy, but if my memory serves me correctly the Pheasant Run Resort is not a very big facility.  Based on that I would wager that this con is probably going to be a really small one in size.  Naturally, with this hotel only being located only about 45-minutes or so away from me I would absolutely love to go, but it is happening around the same time as the Vintage Computer Fair Midwest always does, and if both of those events end up happening on the very same weekend I will probably end up having to choose the Vintage Computer Fair Midwest instead just because I have been going there for many years now and I have so many friends from around the country that I only see while I'm there.  The date for this year's Vintage Computer Fair Midwest hasn't been announced yet, so I'll have to wait and see if the two events end up conflicting.

So far, the information about this new Midwestria convention at its official website is pretty sparse.  I was able to gleam from it that it is three-days long, but there is no info what-so-ever about special guests, programming, if there is going to be any kind of art show/artist's alley/dealer room, or other such vital info.  I'm hoping that when more information about the con ends up getting added it will start to sound more and more interesting, because there is really not a lot of info for me to go on right now.

Offline Sheeta

• Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 11:31:33 pm »
Right now most going-ons (information-wise) has been on Facebook as the committee has been getting things together.  They wanted to get the convention and hotel info out so that, at the very least, people can have a physical place to look at and a tangible date to put on their calendars.  It is a ways off, so most info will be sparse. 

"People are into it for all sorts of reasons, but I think most people here just think animal people are neat to draw." --"Sue"

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 05:34:49 am »
Right now most going-ons (information-wise) has been on Facebook as the committee has been getting things together.  They wanted to get the convention and hotel info out so that, at the very least, people can have a physical place to look at and a tangible date to put on their calendars.  It is a ways off, so most info will be sparse. 

I let out a bit of a groan when I read the words "most going-ons (information-wise) has been on Facebook."  Being one of those few defiant souls who still refuses to sign up for an account on Mark Zuckerberg's personal money-printing machine, I sincerely hope that the organizers of this event remember to let the going-ons and developments from their Facebook community trickle down to other communication channels (like their convention website's currently very barren online forums) so that social networking mega-site-shunning Bronies such as myself will still have some inkling about what's going on.

In any case, I do have a little bit of good news, at least where myself is concerned.  It seems that the head organizer of the Vintage Computer Fair Midwest must have been reading my mind, as he posted the date for this year's upcoming VCF-MW/ECCC convention to my vintage computer collecting club's e-mail list earlier today.  As it turns out, the VCF-MW/ECCC conventions will be taking place two weeks after Midwestria.  So that means that, finances permitting, I may be able to attend both!   :)

Offline Sheeta

• Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:36:27 pm »

I let out a bit of a groan when I read the words "most going-ons (information-wise) has been on Facebook."  Being one of those few defiant souls who still refuses to sign up for an account on Mark Zuckerberg's personal money-printing machine, I sincerely hope that the organizers of this event remember to let the going-ons and developments from their Facebook community trickle down to other communication channels (like their convention website's currently very barren online forums) so that social networking mega-site-shunning Bronies such as myself will still have some inkling about what's going on.

The Facebook info I mentioned is regarding those involved with the convention--people who are on the committee, those who are looking to volunteer, etc.  If it's not for the general public, then it won't be seen until they are ready to release the info.  Again, things are a ways off--I'm pretty sure that they will let the hungry public know when there's something to give them.