Author Topic: Brony Documentary  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
Brony Documentary
« on: June 06, 2012, 07:18:11 pm »
This is something I had seen rumblings about, but I don't think I quite realize the true scale of it until today.

Apparently, John de Lancie is one of the key people behind the whole thing, and he's gotten Faust and Tara Strong in on it, too. They plan to do a feature-length documentary on the community. I'm pretty intrigued by the whole thing, especially after hearing de Lancie's own words about his mission and inspiration behind doing it.

As with everything pony, details can be found here. Project is being funded on Kickstarter, and has climbed the ranks pretty high in terms of highest-funded films on the site. I think they said it's up to 4th-highest funding for a movie ever now?

If you've got 50 minutes free to listen to the interview with de Lancie that I linked, I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:22:40 am by Ziel »

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Mylo

Re: Brony Documentary
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 11:32:09 pm »
That's pretty amazing actually, from a movies aspect.  Crowd-funded movies ought to be the future...the makers get money to make high quality film while people get the film (hopefully) that they want.  Of course, this would probably only work on small scale things for now, but thanks to computer technology...

Eh, I'm getting off topic.  I'd like to see the film (because I'm intrigued on what they are going to do to make this feature length (which I can think of a few ideas to work with, but...)).

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:22:17 am »
That's pretty amazing actually, from a movies aspect.  Crowd-funded movies ought to be the future...the makers get money to make high quality film while people get the film (hopefully) that they want.  Of course, this would probably only work on small scale things for now, but thanks to computer technology...

Eh, I'm getting off topic.  I'd like to see the film (because I'm intrigued on what they are going to do to make this feature length (which I can think of a few ideas to work with, but...)).

De Lancie explains a bit of the approach they would like to take with it, though he also says that with documentaries, you often don't know what you really have until the editing phase. Basically, his preference would be to follow a small handful of people with interesting stories and have some more in-depth focus on them. They're also going to Bronycon, and possibly a couple cons in Europe as well (they need a bit more funding for that still). So they'll have some raw footage and possibly short comments/interviews with random people as well.

And I -just- now noticed and fixed the typo with the url tag... derp.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:28:28 am »
Understandable.
*web search*
Oh, so he is a voice in the show...  :)

Kind of interesting how nothing with the furry fandom has been done like this...

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:40:59 am »
Understandable.
*web search*
Oh, so he is a voice in the show...  :)

Kind of interesting how nothing with the furry fandom has been done like this...

Heh. He is a voice in the show, but he's probably better known as his role as Q in Star Trek. In the grand scheme of things, he really is pretty well into celebrity status. And he seems pretty driven to help out the Bronies because he understands what the community is about. He wants to try to help defend the community because it is so prone to ridicule.

Not sure why Furries haven't had anything really equivalent. Probably because of a lack of celebrity push behind it, like what de Lancie is providing. And Furries are just so put off by the media in general that they would probably be afraid to let people cover the fandom in any real depth. There just isn't enough trust there for it.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 03:29:30 pm »
Not sure why Furries haven't had anything really equivalent. Probably because of a lack of celebrity push behind it, like what de Lancie is providing. And Furries are just so put off by the media in general that they would probably be afraid to let people cover the fandom in any real depth. There just isn't enough trust there for it.

As a group, furries are harder to define than bronies.  Bronies love MLP:FiM.  Furries love... well, something to do with anthropomorphic animals.  But people can't even always agree on what constitutes an anthropomorphic animal.  If it's hard to define a group, then I imagine it would be much harder to satisfactorily depict that group.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Mylo

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:56:09 pm »
As a group, furries are harder to define than bronies.  Bronies love MLP:FiM.  Furries love... well, something to do with anthropomorphic animals.  But people can't even always agree on what constitutes an anthropomorphic animal.  If it's hard to define a group, then I imagine it would be much harder to satisfactorily depict that group.

Challenge Accepted!

But I guess you're right...that does make it more difficult (but I'd like to see one from more of a community perspective rather than just clearing up a definition)...they say actions speak louder than words, right?

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 05:10:11 am »

Challenge Accepted!

But I guess you're right...that does make it more difficult (but I'd like to see one from more of a community perspective rather than just clearing up a definition)...they say actions speak louder than words, right?

Right, but to make a documentary that shows a community perspective, you have to pick some individuals to stand as representatives of the overall group, because you can't show everybody.  But if there isn't a simple definition of "furry," then people won't agree on which individuals are representative... or possibly even on whether specific individuals should really count as furries.  Especially if they don't like how the "representative" individuals come across.  There's no simple thing to point to and say, "That -- because of that thing about me, I am clearly a furry, and no one can dispute it."  Whereas, if you love MLP:FiM, and you aren't in the original target demographic, then you can pretty easily claim brony status, and it's much harder to claim, "Well, that person's not a REAL brony."
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 05:05:48 pm »
45 Hours to go, and the Kickstarter project is just over $270k now! And that's only the people who funded on Kickstarter (they made a separate page for people who wanted to donate through PayPal, and that total isn't included in the Kickstarter total). The producers have now made their plans to head over to Europe to hit up a couple conventions there as well. They're going to end up with far more footage than they know what to do with!

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:56:43 am »

Hearing this glorious news is like staring into the eyes of a magical space hawk, who i ride to Candy Land while he destroys civilizations with is magic laser that is made up of kittens... in other words there's faith for humanity.