Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 7183 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Windows 10
« on: July 01, 2015, 10:33:53 am »
Can anybody tell me about Windows 10? Pros? Cons? What's it all about? About 2 weeks ago, I got a small icon on my comp screen that led to a popup box saying that I could get a free copy or download of Windows 10. I don't know anything about the new Windows. How much better is it than 7 or 8? What can it all do?

Offline Elusive

• Species: Fox/Raven hybrid
  • Male
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 12:32:35 pm »
This is a quick summary based on my experience with the technical preview, might add more later as it's been a while since I messed with it. I tend to think the look of windows 10 to be like a mix of 7 and 8. They brought back the start menu of windows OS's earlier than 8 with an extension of a smaller version of the windows 8 start screen. The search box in the start menu can also be used to search the internet, and in case your wondering you can change the browser it uses to whichever you prefer. In my opinion if you are using windows 8 or 8.1 on a non-tablet device you will probably like the changes windows 10 brings. If I'm remembering correctly they are giving people up to a year to get and install windows 10 when it comes out, so you may want to wait a bit when it does come out to give them time to fix any compatibility issues if there are any.

If you have any other questions let me know and I can check my technical preview version.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 12:50:19 pm »
I heard it was a upgrade for 7 and 8 if you had those versions installed.  I
hope it doesn't install without asking because I want to keep my 7pro as is
for compatability with older software..
oldrabbit.com

Offline photalysis

• Species: SynthServal
  • L·I·A·R
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 01:59:05 pm »
I couldn't personally verify it, but the way I've had my techie friend describe it to me is this:
7 is to Vista as 10 is to 8.

Basically a workable improvement over something fundamentally broken.

If microsoft continues this pattern, we'll all know to only buy even-numbered releases! :D
Spoiler: show
Assuming, of course, that they don't have to skip another number. :P
a.k.a. Tuvoi ->◊<-

Offline Elusive

• Male
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 02:41:43 pm »
I heard it was a upgrade for 7 and 8 if you had those versions installed.  I
hope it doesn't install without asking because I want to keep my 7pro as is
for compatability with older software..

It is a free upgrade for current users of windows 7, and 8 / 8.1. If you have already reserved your copy of windows 10 it should download when it is available but will only install when you want it to. 

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 03:35:40 pm »
I have Windows 7. I've at to use Windows 8 at work before and several things about it really annoyed me. It seemed like almost every day I'd run into something else that hampers my productivity. I also really don't like the flat look that everything has. 

Windows 10 is undoubtedly an improvement from Windows 8. But my big question is, would it be worth making the jump from 7 to 10?  I'm not sure I'd want to take the chance.  (besides it still has that flat look which I don't care for.)

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 02:15:26 am »
I have Windows 7. I've at to use Windows 8 at work before and several things about it really annoyed me. It seemed like almost every day I'd run into something else that hampers my productivity. I also really don't like the flat look that everything has. 

Windows 10 is undoubtedly an improvement from Windows 8. But my big question is, would it be worth making the jump from 7 to 10?  I'm not sure I'd want to take the chance.  (besides it still has that flat look which I don't care for.)

As someone who uses the Windows Classic personalization setting on Windows 7 (which, for those who don't know, makes Windows 7 windows look a lot like those from Windows 95/2000), I'd be curious to know the degree to which Windows 10 supports prior iterations of their window manager, myself.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Elusive

• Male
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 08:47:24 pm »
As far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be a specific personalization setting to make it look like previous versions of windows, however after you unpin or uninstall the apps already on the start menu it feels rather close to the windows 7 start menu, just with the flat look of windows 8/8.1.  If you're wanting to make it actually look and behave even more like previous versions, odds are you will have to install third party software to do so.That is if any is actually developed for windows 10, like classic shell for windows 8/8.1.

In terms of upgrading from windows 7 to 10, you would most likely have faster boot up times, and in my experience an easier time installing drivers (in windows 7 I had to manually do it quite often). In my opinion it's not absolutely necessary to upgrade quite yet (I actually had been using windows vista up until a few months ago, when i did some pc upgrades and installed both windows 7 and 8.1). For some more detailed information on this check out:http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/windows-10-vs-windows-7

Also note that the tech preview may or may not behave or look like the finished product, and it might not have all the settings available in the finished product either.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 10:12:11 pm »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 11:28:33 am »
I have Win10 up and running. I haven't had any problems with it yet.  It did upgrade
from my win8.1 without loosing my data at least..  It is more like win 7 with access
to applications from a start button. I think they should have made the start button
look a little more like a button.  :P I am not overly fond of the flat 2d look with
pastel colors though. Perhaps there is a legacy option. I haven't seen it yet if there
is one.

The boot up for win 10 appears to a bit slower on my 3.3gig desktop than win 8.1 was.
Could be win10 boots up more apps so they will open quickly. I haven't had time to see
what all it's up to. I do like the weather app better than the old one. I was glad to see
apps generally opening in a window instead of full screen like they did in win 8.1.. It's much
easier for me to use multiple apps on my monitor that way.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:03:20 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Natura Wolf

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 01:57:48 pm »
I recently got the windows 10 for my desktop.

Personally I quite like it, but at the same time it feels flawed if you have a desktop.

Pros:
if your a windows 8 user, the start menu is now that but by the start menu rather than the full screen that windows 8 would do
Starting up does feel a bit faster and it does look nice
If you are using windows 7, the upgrade doesn't effect any of your applications, they will still seamlessly run :)
Also if your a windows 7 user, you can now get apps, one i needed was the onecalender which I love usuing, that said it also makes connectivity alot easier.

Cons:
my biggest con to this is, It feels like its designed with tablets and laptops in mind rather than for a desktop pc.  I say this cause it has all this stuff about knowing your location, connecting to other wifi's & hotspots, etc.  It feels like it is treating the desktop as a movable item, and it's not.  I feel they should of divided it between desktop and portables.  I think that is its biggest let down for desktop users.
Also Cortana, you must be connect to the internet consitently and your user account must be integrated to your hotmail account, or something.  It can't be private.  That may not be a big deal for some, for me I'd rather keep my private offline logon, which means I don't get to use cortana.

I've not had it for a day yet.  My opinion though is its perfect for laptops, in fact i can't wait to get rid of windows 8 with the flying windows all over the place, and merge it with the windows 7/xp feel.  But if your a desktop pc, unless you have windows 8, stick with windows 7 :).

I can keep updating if you like :)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 11:30:10 am »
Keep posting Natura Wolf. :orbunny:

Win 10 has more of a legacy feel to it, but I still like my win 7 pro the best of
the two.

I have both on the same computer, so I can pick and choose. The win 7 worked
better for older software that win 8.1 didn't want to run. I haven't tried to load
any on win 10 to see if it will run my older software like win 7 does. I might upgrade
my win 7 pro to win 10 pro if it will.. That upgrade is free too.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Elusive

• Male
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 01:38:32 pm »
Installed Windows 10 on my laptop and first thing i always do is uninstall all the programs i don't want. This presents currently my only issue with windows 10, programs/apps such as Cortana, Xbox, Mail, etc can't be uninstalled, at least not easily. Even if you do manage to uninstall them they might just be reinstalled when there is an update (not 100% sure about this). Cortana, even if you have it disabled is still running processes in the background.

Other than the above and so long as you go through a custom installation (I always do this when I install stuff) and NOT the express I think it's a decent operating system.

Even though I'm using 8.1 on my desktop's main drive, I think i will keep it that way for a while. Who knows, Windows 10 still may go through some or many changes.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:21:23 pm by Elusive »

Offline Natura Wolf

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 02:58:02 am »
Im getting windows 10 for my laptop now, since i said it was more a laptop OS, i'm hoping that it'll be more suited there ^^

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 05:47:06 pm »
When I get my computer fixed.......hopefully this month........then I may switch to Windows 10.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 12:52:08 pm »
My understanding is you about have to upgrade your Windows 8.1 to windows 10. I don't
think they will have anymore upgrades for windows 8.1 as it is. I think that's why win 10 is 
a free upgrade. At least untill this time next year. It was kind of cool of them to offer it to
windows 7 users too..
oldrabbit.com

Offline Elusive

• Male
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 03:03:29 pm »
My understanding is you about have to upgrade your Windows 8.1 to windows 10. I don't
think they will have anymore upgrades for windows 8.1 as it is. I think that's why win 10 is 
a free upgrade. At least untill this time next year. It was kind of cool of them to offer it to
windows 7 users too..

According to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle windows 8.1 will still receive support for several more years. Not entirely clear as to why they are giving it away for free. Though one guess could be that they don't want to continue supporting multiple versions of their OSs so they are trying to get more people to convert to the same one. There are many stories out their as to why it may be free, which is why I'm not sure, don't know what stories are from a reputable source. Also, unless you adjust your settings seems like windows 10 is collecting data just so they can present you with more relative advertisements in their apps. 

Offline Natura Wolf

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 05:41:00 pm »
I am starting to have a slight probelm with microsoft's enforcing of applications.

With the free win 10 you must get:
Calendar,
Mail & People,
Xbox,
Groove Music,
DVD Movie,
and other stuff you may or may not want

I also can get microsoft office 13 free from uni.
However...It comes with
Office (excel, access, presentation, word)
skype for business
onte note
and loads of other stuff that you can't remove.

THere seems to be this all or nothing theme which i don't quite enjoy
due to it i can't have microsoft on my laptop cause its too small :(

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 03:29:09 pm »
Anybody else have any Pros or Cons to Windows 10? I just ordered a new comp today that has Win10 on it and I should receive it around the 29th. Also picked up a tutorial book from the bookstore to read about Win10.

Offline 9141702

• Species: Anthro Rat
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 04:35:51 pm »
I've been using Win10 for a couple of months now, on veeeery old hardware (a 5-year old Thinkpad, 2.2GHz Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Intel integrated GPU).

So far, the experience has been mostly positive. My boot time has halved, and as I don't require much in the way of HDD space for my day-to-day life, the whole WinPhone approach of "here are some core apps  you MUST have" doesn't really bother me. I'm also not really that concerned about the data-mining aspect of the OS. I don't know how much is true and how much is hysteria, but given my bank, cellphone operator and insurer have already sold my details to every ambulance chaser under the sun, I'm past caring. Drop in the ocean.

I do really like the UI, as I rarely feel the need to "get under the hood". If I want to fine tune, optimise, and CLI myself into an early grave, I'll get an Amiga :D A Windows PC is a tool that should "just work", and I feel Win10 does for the most part do exactly that.

All the productivity software I rely on still works, though I do get some screen-redrawing errors with Labcentre Proteus (I'm gonna bet most of you won't care about that).

Would I buy it if it wasn't free? Probably :D

Offline Fuyurin

• Female
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 05:35:18 pm »
After I told my laptop that I definitely do not want Microsoft to get all my information I have had nothing but a good time with Win10. It actually makes things run a little faster without any performance tweaking on my end and I definitely like the UI a lot more than 8. That having been said, the old desktop is still going to have 7 on it since I also like 7, but I won't feel sad whenever I move onto a new desktop and it comes with 10.

Offline Bronx

• Species: Anthro red and grey wolf
  • I listen to too much music.
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 10:59:26 pm »
I have used Windows 8 then 8.1 on my desktop since I got it, but my .net was corrupted and I could not wait to get Win10 to fix it. When it finally came out, I was really excited because I could now use my keyboard correctly, but aside from a few interface changes, I haven't noticed much of a difference between 8 and 10, at least the way I use it on a daily basis.

However, I still enjoy 10 and would recommend it over 8.
www.youtube.com/craterwolf
Furry code: FCW3ad A- C- D H++ M- P+ R- T+++ W- Z- Sm- RLU a- cn++ e- f h* i++ p+ sm

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 12:23:16 pm »
I have been using windows 10 since July, and it works well.. I have windows 7 pro
and 10 both on my computer. I keep 7 for older software compatability. Otherwise I
don't see that much difference other than the start menu with the app icons. I presume
they are touch active if one has a touch screen for it.

It would be nice if they had a shut down option on the start menu. The way it is you have
to sign out then return to a sign in screen. Once there you go over to the lower right corner
to find the shutdown option for win 10. Seems rather complicated to turn it off. Perhaps they
want us to keep it running.  :D

I did change the boot up routine. The way it was you had to boot 10 to get the option to
choose which operating system you wanted. Now I can choose 10 or 7 from the simple
boot. At least most of the time. Win 10 still trys to take over the boot now and then, even
though I have win 7 set as default. Seems to depend on which one I was using last. :P

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:39:12 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Elusive

• Male
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 02:04:52 pm »
It would be nice if they had a shut down option on the start menu. The way it is you have
to sign out then return to a sign in screen. Once there you go over to the lower right corner
to find the shutdown option for win 10. Seems rather complicated to turn it off. Perhaps they

There should be a shut down option just above the "All Apps" option, second from the bottom.  Another thing you can do is right click the start menu to open up another menu and go to the "Shutdown or Sign Out" option, which is second from the bottom as well. This is assuming your using the desktop mode, I'm not sure how the tablet mode works but I assume it's very similar if not the same.

As for my experience it seems to work quite well, but one issue that seems to be developing is a much slower start up time. It seems to take 5+ min for it to get to the point of me being able to even open a application. This was not the case as first, and since the new semester started I've had to install several things for group projects. I have adjusted the start up items but that doesn't seem to be where the problem lies, once I get some more free time I'll be digging deeper to find out what is causing this.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 12:27:47 pm »

There should be a shut down option just above the "All Apps" option, second from the bottom.  Another thing you can do is right click the start menu to open up another menu and go to the "Shutdown or Sign Out" option, which is second from the bottom as well. This is assuming your using the desktop mode, I'm not sure how the tablet mode works but I assume it's very similar if not the same.

As for my experience it seems to work quite well, but one issue that seems to be developing is a much slower start up time. It seems to take 5+ min for it to get to the point of me being able to even open a application. This was not the case as first, and since the new semester started I've had to install several things for group projects. I have adjusted the start up items but that doesn't seem to be where the problem lies, once I get some more free time I'll be digging deeper to find out what is causing this.

Thanks for the heads up on where to find the shut down.. Also you might check this link for lengthy
boot up problems. That is if you haven't already.  One guy was waiting for over an hour for boot up.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_perf/windows-10-slow-boot-time/5e00b7f3-3b1c-4a15-af70-6c153b51ad76?auth=1
oldrabbit.com