Author Topic: Meals in minutes.  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Meals in minutes.
« on: July 26, 2011, 08:54:21 pm »
From time to time, We've all said or heard the following:
"I'm hungry!"
"What's for dinner?"
"What time is dinner?"
.......and so forth.  :P

What are some recipes that you've heard about or tried that take a short amount of time and can be ready quickly, and can be made cheaply? No posting of microwave meals, Kraft Mac n' Cheese, canned items, or boxed meak kits, please. Let's try to be a bit creative here, ok? ;)

For starters: One box Broccoli Au Gratin Rice-A-Roni mix + one 8 oz. package of fully cooked ready-to-eat diced chicken (The type that's usually seen served over garden salads.). Fix rice mixture according to directions, then mix in diced chicken, and enjoy. :)

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
Re: Meals in minutes.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:51:24 pm »
One thing that I've had recently which is a pretty quick, no hassle meal, is rice and fried eggs.

I have a rice cooker (awesome kitchen gadget, btw). So The only real prep time is rinsing the rice. I use jasmine rice, because I like it better than long-grain white or brown. Once it's in the rice cooker with the right amount of water, I flip the switch and it cooks to perfection, without fear of ending up with a bunch of rice sticking to a pan.

Once the rice cooker flips from 'cooking' to 'keep warm', I'll make a couple fried eggs. By the time the eggs are done, the rice is all set to throw on a plate. I pour a little soy sauce on the rice, and then top it with the fried eggs.

The whole process takes 20-25 minutes. But the majority of that time you are just waiting for the rice to cook, so you can be doing something else.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Sk Skunk

• TANSTAAFL
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 02:42:30 am »
I'll heat up sandwich meat, sliced hotdogs, or leftovers, in a frying pan. Add a can of corn, or green beans. Sprinkle some grated cheese, hot sauce, dump it on a plate.

I have also cooked noodles, shells, elbow macaroni, heated up a can of pork and beans for a topping.

The small cans of corn, peas, green beans, mushrooms are handy for quick experimentation. :D I can have a hot meal ready in 10 minutes. 8)
"Who am I to say where my possibly non-existent soul has or has not been."

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 03:54:30 pm »
Can of spam, sliced and fried. Add a can of Bush's baked beans (original flavor). Eat.

Also Wal-Mart sells these microwave flame broiled burgers, they're really good so I like to fix one, add on some microve bacon and a slice of cheese and have myself a no-mess bacon cheese burger. :)

Another good one i use is these little cups of minute rice, just peel back the plastic and nuke it for a minute and it's done. I then add a can of sliced chunk chicken from a can and some chicken gravy along with a nice big spoonful of chicken flavor stovetop stuffing and it makes a delicious bowl of goodness.

There are also these el monterey microwave burritos, i like fix two beef and bean ones, heat up some chili, pour the chili all over the burritos then top with shredded cheese. Yum yum yum. :)

Also if you fry some hickory flavor spam in a pan, add chili, put it on a couple of slices of bread with some cheese, i swear it tastes like a chili-cheese dog.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 12:01:35 pm »
Grilled cheese sandwich--self explanitory.

Now that my tomatoes are finally ripening, I make BLT-minus-L sandwiches. Microwave 3 slices of pre-cooked bacon per sandwich while toasting 2 slices of white bread golden brown. Apply margarine to toast, add a layer of thin-sliced tomato, salt and pepper to taste, then a layer of bacon.

Hard-boiled eggs. Place the desired number of eggs in a saucepan/small pot, cover with water, and place on heat. Once the water starts boiling, set the timer for five minutes. Remove from heat and rinse under cold water for several minutes. Then shell and eat with salt, pepper, or seasoned salt. But here's a variation:
  Save the brine after finishing a jar of pickles. (I use "zesty" for this as it has lots of flavor.) Place in the brine in the jar as many shelled hardboiled eggs as it will cover. Allow the eggs to pickle for a few days, then enjoy.

Microwave-Baked Potato. Select a clean, baseball-size spud. Poke the spud in several places. (I use a corncob handle to spike my spuds.) Wrap the spud in wax paper and place in the microwave on high for 4 minutes. Then turn it over and zap it for another 4 minutes. Use oven mitt to remove. Unwrap and split the potato lengthwise and add your favorite toppings.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 12:05:16 pm »
Microwave Baked Apple Dessert

1-MacIntosh Apple, cored

Powdered Cinnamon

Sugar, or Cinnamon sugar mix

Waxed Paper

Pack the cored apple with the cinnamon and sugar. Place in microwave-safe bowl. Cover with waxed paper and microwave on high for at least two minutes. Apple should be hot and tender. Cinnamon, sugar and apple juice combine to make a heavy syrup. Wait one minute before eating.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 02:14:51 pm »
One time, it actually snowed in Texas.  As you may know, Texans are not exactly prepared for even the slightest winter weather, and the ground was covered in a thick layer of snow and ice, making travel virtually impossible.  So, I took the only food items in my dorm room, rice and string beans, and made them in the microwave.  Added a little salt, and it tasted pretty good :3

...?

In many parts of Texas it snows practically every year.  Just depends on where in Texas you are.

Personaly,  i've been forcing myself to take extra time lately to cook real meals.

Tunamelts are quick if you have two nonstick frying pans.

-Throw some butter in both pans,  tun them both to medium and let the butter brown.
-Mix a can of tuna,  1-2 tablespoons of mayonnaise,  and some shredded cheese in a bowl.
-throw two slices of sourdough bread on the first plan,  make sure both sides get some of the butter.
-put the tuna/cheese into the other pan,  and form it into a pancake shape.
-flip the bread constantly,  when it's starting to brown on both sides,  it's done.
-When the cheese melts the tuna is done
-Put a piece of sliced chese on the bread (provolone if you have the choice) and put the tuna in.

Sandvich.   Takes about 8 mins to make including cleanup with nonstick pans.

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 03:58:00 pm »
Sandvich.   Takes about 8 mins to make including cleanup with nonstick pans.[/color]
Made me think of this: http://zeurel.deviantart.com/art/TF2-Flash-The-Question-260363255
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 04:10:57 pm »
And rightfully so.     (:

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 10:38:22 am »
A favorite for my family is something really simple, and even I can't mess it up! :D  Get some frozen chicken breasts or tenders and start cooking those in a pan.  When they're close to done, add a can of cream of mushroom soup over the top.  Heat covered until everything is nice and done.  Cook time varies depending on how big of chicken pieces you choose. Goes great with/on brown rice.  And I suggest green beans for one of the sides.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.