Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
word games / Re: What are you watching right now?
« Last post by cause the rat on September 22, 2022, 02:59:46 pm »
Another American attempt at anime. Looks to have the same problems as "Black Lotus" had. Filled with meaningless, slow moving segments and predictable. "Pantheon" looks to follow that same trend.
news forum / Re: Banning books on race and gender.
« Last post by Jade Sinapu on September 20, 2022, 08:35:31 pm »
Some children have parents who's knowledge base is far lacking.  For one reason or another. Opportunity,    income,  skill level etc...

A school may be one of the few places they can gain knowledge on a topic. Banning a book will easily direct that child ( who is still learning. And who's family is lacking that knowledge) into a narrow path by excluding things from their path.
It's a way to control.

I believe in traditional education,  where it is more like you throw lots of views and topics at them and they decide.  Find their own path.  Of course complexity ramps up as they age.

I work with a guy who is home schooling his kids.  He is knowledgeable.   But he is often asking others when he needs to know how to teach his kids a new skill.  I bring this up because at a school his kids could be exposed to many more books because they probably  have a bigger library.   I worry they will be unprepared compared to someone who had more choices and exposure.
It's similar to banning books or ideas.  It's limiting choice, when a person doesn't most likely know they are being limited. 
That kids might grow up to resent it.

news forum / Re: The queen of England died
« Last post by Jade Sinapu on September 20, 2022, 08:24:40 pm »
Yeah I watched a fair bit of it.
Sad in a way,  but also interesting.
word games / Re: The last thing you bought.
« Last post by Kobuk on September 20, 2022, 06:38:20 pm »
Toothpaste
Dish soap
Beastars manga Vol.20
"Das Boot" Director's Cut Blu-ray movie
« Last post by Kay Alett on September 16, 2022, 12:17:21 pm »

Let's get back to questions like:
Should schools and/or libraries stock these types of books? Or ban them?
Do politicians have the right to ban these types of books?
What rights do parents have or not have in what is selected at the school/library for reading material?

Should these books be in schools? I think age appropriate books on these subjects should be in schools, sure.
Teach kids from an early age that being gay is okay and gay people aren't dangerous.

Teach them that skin color is just that, color, it has no bearing on a person's character.
Then as they grow up introduce more complicated topics on top.

Should politicians ban these books? What gives them the right? Politicians do not get to decide for the people what should and should not be taught in the schools.

If schools aren't going to teach the kids about these kinds of subjects parents must.

Banning books is just asinine. Let people read, let them see and if the author is wrong then they will only condemn themselves.
It's censorship and censorship is just flat out wrong. I don't care how loudly you scream "won't someone think of the children".

I could go on but I'm close to getting off topic and taking the offramp to censorship debate county and we're not here for that.
word games / Re: The last thing you bought.
« Last post by cause the rat on September 16, 2022, 12:31:36 am »
A tube of Cerulean Blue oil paint. This is a lighter blue color. Trying to mix colors without, or using as little as possible, white paint. This is hands down the most toxic tube of paint I own. Definitely don't want to get this stuff anywhere on me.
general non-furry discussion / Re: The "Good News" thread.
« Last post by Firelight on September 11, 2022, 05:41:07 pm »
Comic con was fun and Firelight was a hit! Also went to a furmeet that happened at comic con. Never knew they had one!
general non-furry discussion / Re: Local weather
« Last post by Firelight on September 11, 2022, 05:38:28 pm »
Smoky and hot
general non-furry discussion / Re: Local weather
« Last post by Kobuk on September 11, 2022, 09:15:43 am »
Cloudy, rain all day. Temps in the low 60's.
« Last post by Kobuk on September 11, 2022, 09:13:39 am »
Guys, you're getting off topic about my topic which is supposed to be about discussing banning books about race and/or gender/sexual orientation.  >:(

Let's get back to questions like:
Should schools and/or libraries stock these types of books? Or ban them?
Do politicians have the right to ban these types of books?
What rights do parents have or not have in what is selected at the school/library for reading material?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10