Author Topic: Atheist Furs  (Read 12130 times)

Offline DeltaFur

• Philosopher/Scientist in the making
  • Male
Re: Atheist Furs
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2009, 03:26:29 pm »
I think Var will crucify me for doing this but...  :) Sorry Corbenik, you are not an atheist, you are an Agnostic.
~Delta~

Pet's name: Pepper

My Furry Code: (PM me if I got it wrong somehow) FFD2amw A>+ C-> H++ M+ R+ T++ W>+ Z?> Sm RLU>MH a19 cl++ d+ e->++++ f+ h*>++ i+ j+ p*> sm>m+

Offline Sskessa

• magically delicious
    • 14 Nights -- A webcomic
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2009, 10:07:01 pm »
Stuff that Vararam said

I love people who use logic.
Someone Else's Problem: My adventures in China

I have never had a deep interest in revenge. Revenge is the concern of those who are at some point or other beaten.
-- The Tale of the Body Thief

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2009, 12:17:26 am »
This. For it is only logical to be logical.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2009, 03:15:16 am »
I am sorry Var, (I was rather tired at the time, blame my weird sleep schedule) I messed up. What I meant to say was if we cannot disprove or prove something (and there is no way of accumulating any evidence for either side, much like this), we should not make a judgment on it. We should not disbelieve or believe it either way. I think this should clear up my stance on this issue.
I don't disagree with your stance. In fact, I completely agree, which is why I have repeatedly said "The default position is to reject the claim until there is sufficient evidence."  This also applies to the counter claim.  For example, I'll flip a coin....     ok. I have not looked at it and don't know if it was heads or tails, but I will make the claim that it was tails. Do you believe this claim?  You shouldn't because you have no evidence, and I just told you I didn't even look at it so you don't even have my word to go on*.  So to proper thing to do is reject the claim.

But if you reject that it was tails, it must have been heads, right?  No, that would also be a claim that should be rejected until there is sufficient evidence. One or the other must be true (I can tell you it didn't land on it's egde). But you can still reject BOTH claims until you get sufficient evidence. As you said, withholding judgment.

So, I have no disagreement with your stance. Even though as I said, I do believe there is no god as opposed to just not believing there is a god. But that's because I believe I have sufficient evidence to accept that claim.  Where I disagree with you, is on definition of terms.  And whether you were tired or not you DID use the word "disbelieve" do mean "not believe"  rather than "believe as untrue". And that's a perfectly legitimate use of the word. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disbelieve

I think one reason people often take "disbelieve" to mean "believe as untrue" rather than simply "not believe" is that they often arrive at this lack of belief due to counter evidence. That plus people have a tendency to use two-state thinking: its either this way or that way. People also often use the phrase "I don't believe it" to mean "I believe that is not true" despite the subtle distinction.   Don't you love the flexibility of words?

*A note about sufficient evidence: the amount and quality of the evidence required is dependent upon the nature of the claim. So if I flip a coin, look at it, and tell you that I got heads, as long as you have no stake in the outcome, this is an exceedingly minor claim thus only requires a small amount of evidence. In this case my word alone should suffice. After all, if it were really tails, it wouldn't hurt you in any way.  Whereas if someone claims that there is an invisible transcendent being that created the universe and wants us to live a certain way, that would have a HUGE impact on how we view reality. Thus it would require a great amount of evidence.

I think Var will crucify me for doing this but...  :) Sorry Corbenik, you are not an atheist, you are an Agnostic.
I'd say Corbenik is an agnostic atheist. As I said, they are not mutually exclusive.

Stuff that Vararam said

Offline DeltaFur

• Philosopher/Scientist in the making
  • Male
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2009, 12:43:12 pm »
Now that we have our terms straight, I completely agree with you. This reminds me of what my Speech teacher said to the class on the first day of class: "90% of all arguments are caused by a problem in semantics." I know now the truth of this statement.
~Delta~

Pet's name: Pepper

My Furry Code: (PM me if I got it wrong somehow) FFD2amw A>+ C-> H++ M+ R+ T++ W>+ Z?> Sm RLU>MH a19 cl++ d+ e->++++ f+ h*>++ i+ j+ p*> sm>m+

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2009, 03:30:39 pm »
Now that we have our terms straight, I completely agree with you. This reminds me of what my Speech teacher said to the class on the first day of class: "90% of all arguments are caused by a problem in semantics." I know now the truth of this statement.
That's generally true of 100% of my arguments :P
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline redfox44

• Male
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2011, 01:16:59 am »
I'm Christian, but I disagree with a lot of things that stereotypical "Christians" do.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure what precisely to believe, but I feel like there's gotta be some higher power. I have many athiest friends irl and we have an occasional friendly debate =p.

Offline Ragnorrock_13

• Spread the love
  • Male
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2011, 01:27:31 am »
Are you an Atheist if you believe that there might be a god, but he is most likely a galactic leader of an alien race that has manipulated our planet, just for the sake of "science?"

Also is it heretical to believe that humanity are the fallen angels who fought side by side with Satan?

Those are my two ideas of how humanity happened to become so smart and yet so aggressively stupid.
Next time, I'll collect the money, and you can die!
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2011, 01:56:56 am »
Are you an Atheist if you believe that there might be a god, but he is most likely a galactic leader of an alien race that has manipulated our planet, just for the sake of "science?"

Also is it heretical to believe that humanity are the fallen angels who fought side by side with Satan?

Those are my two ideas of how humanity happened to become so smart and yet so aggressively stupid.

??? Sounds like a neat sci fi movie... :)

Offline Chimara

• If I see that cat one more time...
  • Female
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2011, 02:57:47 am »
I'm christian, and I believe in God as an entity which exists in a higher plane of existence than ours. I get along perfectly with atheists, agnostics, jews, wiccan, ...one of my good friends is muslim...The only thing i hate are bible/thora/ku'ran bashers who try to force their beliefs on you...

*grins* You remind me of my irl best friend. We've had a lot of great discussions about religion. Not arguments.

I'm agnostic myself, though I admit that sometimes I lean towards atheism. More or less, your own beliefs are similar to my own, The condensed version is, I feel that if God exists, he would be on a higher level then us.

Offline Naade

• Just monkeying around!
  • Female
    • My FA
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2011, 04:31:29 am »
Atheist, kind of goes with the field though. I admit, I'm not the friendliest person around religious people.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2011, 06:12:48 am »
Closed due to gravedigging.