Author Topic: Coming out?  (Read 8163 times)

Offline Martin_Aresian

• Male
Re: Coming out?
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 07:37:09 pm »
Cimarron, I'm glad it worked out, but your whole story had me shaking my head in bafflement. I understand to some degree hiding it as a minor, cause hey some parents are just morons, but not as an adult. I can't imagine hiding my hobbies from my friends or anybody really. If I was going to a furry bowling meet, that's what I'd say. If they asked what a furry was I'd say "A fan of anthropomorphic animals...like cartoon animals and such." If in the end they think I'm a weirdo perv. *shrug* I'm an adult, I'm allowed to be.
"Go to the ant you sluggard; consider her ways and be wise"
   -Proverbs 6:6

pic in icon done by Diana Harlan Stein
www.naiadstudios.com

Offline Cimarron

• A Little Inappropriate
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 07:46:26 pm »
I am a wierdo perv... but I try to play normal around people that I dont know too well.  I dont have a large amount of friends, and at this point in my life, I want to keep the ones I have.  I know many of you are thinking that if they are ture friends, they will accept you unconditionally... but as I said in the "What is friendship" thread... I dont think I have any true friends, just a ton of aquaintences. Ive never had anyone in my life that I feel can accept me... although, I know I dont give people much of a chance.
Dont fursecute me yo!

Offline Martin_Aresian

• Male
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 08:43:27 pm »
I'd never be able to put up with it. I've alway unabashedly liked the things I liked. I've never bothered hiding my likes from people. Yeah it got me teased a lot but I've always been myself. The idea of pretending or being ashamed or lying to people or whatever is so completely foreign to me. I hope you find friends that you can be completely honest with.

www.naiadstudios.com

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 08:53:03 pm »
The idea of pretending or being ashamed or lying to people or whatever is so completely foreign to me. I hope you find friends that you can be completely honest with.

Martin, will you adopt me and be my REAL father  :P?

Offline Cimarron

• A Little Inappropriate
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 09:20:20 pm »
I'd never be able to put up with it. I've alway unabashedly liked the things I liked. I've never bothered hiding my likes from people. Yeah it got me teased a lot but I've always been myself. The idea of pretending or being ashamed or lying to people or whatever is so completely foreign to me. I hope you find friends that you can be completely honest with.

I hope so too... Im working on it.  Thanks for the advice... Although its nothing I didnt know.  I just dont know how to explain it... everyone seems so... put-together, and Im so... well, I dont know what I am, but I know I need to fix it.  I know it sounds like Im kind of a depressing person, but Im really not... I usually have a pretty good attitude, and a smile on my face.
Dont fursecute me yo!

Offline Martin_Aresian

• Male
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 09:38:28 pm »
Well technically Shim if we're talking RL, I'd be your mom. I'm female in RL. Also thanks, that's very touching.

Cimarron, let me assure you most people are not 'put together' and most of us have no idea what we're doing. I'm in my thirties now and I still don't understand everything about myself. We learn about ourselves all our lives. You don't need all the answers. Life would be boring if we had them.

www.naiadstudios.com

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2010, 08:59:31 pm »
Well technically Shim if we're talking RL, I'd be your mom. I'm female in RL. Also thanks, that's very touching.

I'm aware.  But last time I checked, Martin is male.  And you are Martin   ;).

(Regardless of gender or physicality, I go by whichever the online handle is  :), as is usually preferred by said person.)

Offline Cimarron

• A Little Inappropriate
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2010, 10:10:17 pm »
Eh... kind of an update... I knew it was too good to be true... My friend called me again to confirm plans for Monday, and she said the more she finds out about furry life, the more she doesnt want to have anything to do with it.  Im still meeting her for lunch, but she obviously stumbled upon some wierd stuff, because she said she never realized I was "like that" I'll bring it up on Monday again, but I think I may just go back to keeping it from people... pretending to be normal is better than being lonley.
Dont fursecute me yo!

Offline James Moon

• Chesapeake Bay Retriever
  • Male
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2010, 11:06:44 pm »
Eh... kind of an update... I knew it was too good to be true... My friend called me again to confirm plans for Monday, and she said the more she finds out about furry life, the more she doesnt want to have anything to do with it.  Im still meeting her for lunch, but she obviously stumbled upon some wierd stuff, because she said she never realized I was "like that" I'll bring it up on Monday again, but I think I may just go back to keeping it from people... pretending to be normal is better than being lonley.

I know what you mean =/ thought my nephew was ok with it but today he starts in about how he has no idea why people would want to be furries or why they even started the whole furry thing. Thought he was ok with all of it....
PSN =  drakemoon (Add me)

FC2a H W Sm RLRB a cn++ f-- i++ j+++ p-- sm--

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 05:55:04 am »
I'm going to have to disagree with most everyone here. Coming out of closet about being furry isn't something to take lightly.

I have had several friends over the years get kicked out by their parents. Yes the relationship was a bit rocky anyway but when their parents found out that they were "Dog Fuckers" (as so many people say) that was the final straw. I have another very good friend who had some very serious problems with her parents because of sexual identity issues (She is a post operation Transsexual) Her parents pretty much disowned her for several years. Recently she and her parents got back into a good relationship. However earlier this year her dad saw a book she had written "Amat Victoria Curam" which is a furry novel. From what I gather he became highly disgusted with her. The realization that his daughter was one of us "Dog Fuckers" almost reversed years of work on the part of both parties.

I am in school with the desire to become a psychologist specializing in abnormal psychology. I vowed on several forums that the only way I would return would be when a parent brought in their child because they were into beastiality because they found drawing of naked animal girls on his or her computer. My plan is to first speak to the patient alone asking about which artists they like so he or she knows that they have an ally. Next I plan to meet with the parents to help explain to them, as a professional, that their child's interest in furry art is no different than if they were into Star Wars, Star Trek, or any other hobby that amasses large numbers of fans.

With friends if they don't accept you say screw you and leave it at that. You're a furry that's part of who you are and they can either accept it or not it's their decision. I have a very close friend, he was my best man when my wife and I got married, it was on accident that we discovered that we were both furries, it had just never come up before. I got lucky in that my wife is a fur, though she has a bit of a hard time when it comes to me being a fairly big furvert.

As far as the life style, such as wearing tails, ears, collars and the like is that you have to be careful in the context your are doing so. In social situations if you're with your friends fine. However if you are in a professional setting leave it home. I am planning on getting tattoos of furry characters and tribal art on my arms and torso in such away that it can be hidden by wearing a long sleeve shirt. However I'll have damn good chance of running into my psychiatrist while going out for walks in a few years when I move into my parents' old house since he lives in the same neighborhood:-)

So to some up be damn careful when dealing with parents, this can easily set them off. if you are too blunt and in your face about it. Try to be subtle and take it slow.
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug

Offline anthrofox

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2010, 06:18:07 am »
Well when i came out it was no big deal, I mean I just said to my friend's ''I am a Furry'' after easing them into it and they where cool about it, like the other person said there will be abit of teasing but it's funny

Offline Minokyoko

• Male
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 04:14:43 pm »
i'm really open about my furriness now.  *meow*

my mates, parents, work mates, even my boss at work knows im one now, hasnt changed a thing (they still see me as the one who draws animal people).

questions i regulary get asked,
"you drawn anymore of those animal/cat people you do?"
"can i borrow some of your drawings to show my mate as hes into similar stuff?"
"if you draw any more of those your gonna turn into one!"  (i hope so  :) )

and so on, didnt get teasded or anything like that, i had a sheet of paper with a few facts about the fandom ready for the worst and never needed them *nnyyaa*
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:10:49 pm by Minokyoko »
http://minokyoko.deviantart.com

Furcode
FCF/FT/CW f 2 a A+ C- D H+ M- P R+ T++ W Z+ Sf

Hope to have my fursuit made by then.

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 06:34:25 pm »
Just try to make it as simple as possible. People can feel threatened when you overexplain things.
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline DandyPants

• Female
    • Coon Diaries (my blog)
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2010, 07:52:21 am »
Just try to make it as simple as possible. People can feel threatened when you overexplain things.
^This.  :)

Am I too late?  :o Oh well. x3

I agree with the idea that if you're going to explain it, just keep it as simple as possible. There's really no need for people to know anything but the basic stuff. Chances are the more you explain and make a big deal out of it, the more people will feel confused and threatened. Sure, not all cases are like this, but most of them are. Keeping it simple makes me way better most of the time. :)

When I decided to tell my mom, it was just a matter of "hey, mom, check this out", sat with her in front of my laptop and showed her con videos, fursuit pictures, pictures of collars, furry artwork, music, etc. This is really all she needed to know since those are the only things she will see me doing. But I'm lucky that I have a mother that acts like a very open minded teenager :D Her reaction was "Coming from you, it doesn't surprise me", I've been wearing a collar on and off for years now, and "when you finish your suit, I'll be the one testing it"  :D My sisters were pretty much the same, the younger one loves the idea of fursuits an even offered to be my suit helper if I let her go to cons with me, and my other sister simply accepted it with a "you're such a freak", a grin, and a "and don't you think about getting any fur on my bed".
My dad however, I didn't explain anything to him. Our relationship is... we strongly dislike each other, so I don't bother him as long as he doesn't bother me.
 :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 07:54:20 am by DandyPants »
InkBunny FurAffinity FormSpring Youtube :3

Dyslexics Are Teople Poo

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 10:53:54 am »
I think nariko's explanation was really good. One sentence, hit the main point right off the bat. I would have actually lopped off the second half of the sentence too >.>
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2010, 11:26:49 am »
Old thread is old. >.>

IIIIIIMMMMM COMMIN'....OUT...IM COMMING OUT..I WANT THE WORLD TO KNOOOOOOWWWWWW GOTTA LET IT SHOOOOOOOWWWWWW o/ (my thoughts on this overly done thread on various furry oriented sites. 8D if that song got stuck in your head, good!) "I'm an artist, I draw cartoon animals." works for me without any of the furry bagage. ;D

Offline Avan

• Our FA
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 12:33:52 pm »

That was supposed to be a song?

Well, I wouldn't know (I don't like singing.)

But yeah - it is so overdone. No need for drama x_x

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 01:21:40 pm »

Offline Avan

• Our FA
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 02:08:43 pm »
AHHHHH! REAL SINGING! D:

How about a furry themed 'roll song?
 ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L73yGiMHH5U&feature=related

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 02:28:14 pm »
AHHHHH! REAL SINGING! D:

How about a furry themed 'roll song?
 ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L73yGiMHH5U&feature=related

Nah guys.... this: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2AsJuhmdTs

(you can thank me for this one)

Offline Avan

• Our FA
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2010, 02:29:42 pm »
 :D
lol that was great

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2010, 07:00:55 pm »
Stay on topic, please.

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 04:43:47 pm »
I'm curious, do we have TWO coming out as furry threads? >> How is this one different from the other one?
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.