Author Topic: Foreshadowing?  (Read 5064 times)

Offline CanzetYote

• Male
Foreshadowing?
« on: April 26, 2010, 05:35:03 pm »
When you were in elementary school, was there any foreshadowings of your involvement in the fandom? Since I was in 2nd grade, I had an intense obsession with foxes and by the 5th grade, I had a girlfriend and all she and I ever talked about was animals and cartoon movies with talking animals.

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
Re: Foreshadowing?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 05:41:24 pm »
Hmm, maybe. I always loved animals and loved pretending to be an animal. I was always nice to as many people as I could be (there were slip ups, regrettably, everyone makes mistakes) even if they were different.

I guess so, although there are many people like that who aren't furry. I don't know if you can really see something like that coming. You can make a good guess but there's no real way of determining if a little kid is going to be a furry or not because the behavior of little kids is very sporadic and not normal. (Much like furries.) Until the child matures it would be very hard to tell.
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:31:37 pm »
... To put it short and simply, I've been on my quest to build my home ever since... long ago.
So yes. Actually a lot less of foreshadowing and more of the author skipping the beginning and body of the story, skipping right to the conclusion. Of Volume 1. The sequel is just being worked on, and it's much more developed plot-wise.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Nashee

• Meow?
  • Female
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:46:50 pm »
I just loved animals in general.

I used to have obsessions with giraffes, and right now I'm in love with owls. `(Go, Captain NightOwl!)

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the Universe than we do now.

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:45:24 am »
I used to have obsessions with giraffes...

It's not too late, y'know. I just happen to be related to the Giraffe species, so i can put in a good word to them to let you in the club, and teach you all the secret handshakes n such. I have a pretty little badge for you to wear too, if you make the change. Ohhh pretty sparkly badge! you want it, I know you do.

I've had this unusual commune with animals all my life, as if I could understand their emotions and was able to tap into that to communicate with them more effectively them other people. I guess that was a bit of foreshadowing of things to come.

Offline Nathan Wolf

• Circus Trova
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 03:07:11 pm »
I was obsessed with wolves from the first day I discovered them as a child.  Pictures, blankets, plushies, you name it, I had everything in my room I could about them.

So yes there were very clear signs.

Offline Rilin

• Species: Mouse
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 04:31:16 pm »
When I was little, I pretended to be a cat a lot, and even dressed up as one for halloween one time.

Then had a phase in year 5-6 (Not sure what grade that would be in the US? But I was like 10 or 11) where I was OBSESSED with hamsters, like seriously. XD That kind of died down and then I became more intrigued in cats (since I'd learnt as much as there is to know about hamsters ;)) however my love for rodents still remained.

Then in year 7 (when I started secondary school) I had an anime phase, but what I really loved was the people with cat ears and tails, or people with animal like abilities (such as in the anime, Tokyo Mew Mew) XD

Also, I always loved animals generally and video games that featured them, such as Conker and WoW. (:

Lets just say I'm glad I found the furry fandom! ^_^
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 04:34:06 pm by Rilin »

Offline CanzetYote

• Male
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 04:39:43 pm »
When I was little, I pretended to be a cat a lot, and even dressed up as one for halloween one time.

Then had a phase in year 5-6 (Not sure what grade that would be in the US? But I was like 10 or 11) where I was OBSESSED with hamsters, like seriously. XD That kind of died down and then I became more intrigued in cats (since I'd learnt as much as there is to know about hamsters ;)) however my love for rodents still remained.

Then in year 7 (when I started secondary school) I had an anime phase, but what I really loved was the people with cat ears and tails, or people with animal like abilities (such as in the anime, Tokyo Mew Mew) XD

Also, I always loved animals generally and video games that featured them, such as Conker and WoW. (:

Lets just say I'm glad I found the furry fandom! ^_^

Really? That's neat! One time I went as RED XIII for Halloween when I was little. It was a pretty sweet costume. I also wrote an anthropomorphic story about cats called Cat Car when I was little. A running gag in the story was this part where they got attacked by skunks.

Offline Mianame

• Female
    • www.mirches.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 11:31:59 am »
It's not too late, y'know. I just happen to be related to the Giraffe species, so i can put in a good word to them to let you in the club, and teach you all the secret handshakes n such. I have a pretty little badge for you to wear too, if you make the change. Ohhh pretty sparkly badge! you want it, I know you do.

Are there secret hooved animal handshakes? 'Cause I wanna learn them! :D

And yeah, definitely! I can't remember a time that I wasn't obsessed with animals or animal people(furries as it were, but I had no idea they were called that :p). I started drawing when I was about three or four and just about the only thing I drew was dragons and anthro dragons. It was just amazing how many I drew and I really wasn't interested in drawing anything else. My friend's dad had a collection of dragon statues in a glass case and every time I went to her place, I would literally spend an hour or two sitting and staring at them, making out every little detail before we went to bed.

So I guess people would say I should be a dragon. Honestly I've thought about it more than once, but I think maybe I just had a messenger totem for a time or something of the sort. I just don't feel like a dragon I guess :p

There was plenty of foreshadowing for me being a furry, but not for my species choice. I only recently found and fell in love with servals, but I've always had a bit of an infatuation with satyrs. Nothing like I did for dragons, but I like how I look so I guess it works? XD

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 05:12:43 pm »
I've been a huge anime watcher/manga reader..and just loved fantasy..everything, and at one point, I came across Tokyo Mew Mew ( was..9?), and that was...interesting, let me tell you.  "..I wonder if theres more stuff like this"  And then Anthro came in somewhere along the way, and then I heard the term furry, thinking "I'm not totally insane!"
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 05:21:21 pm by Shim »

Offline Valexi

• Hylian Hyena
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 01:49:05 am »
As I mentioned in another thread, when I was a little kid my parents took me to the zoo, where I saw some live striped hyenas. I loved them so much that I pretended to be one for a while after. :D
I suppose that counts as foreshadowing.
But, then again, I also pretended I was a Xenomorph for a month after watching the movie Alien (I was maybe 6)
Haha, but I've always loved hyenas and would read up about them and other animals in the library after school.
My love for hyenas also grew after watching The Lion King a million times growing up  (:

Offline Zhono Veranhaut

• Species: Chocobo
  • Some things never change it seems.
  • Female
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 11:03:24 am »
I had a big interest in the Sonic the Hedgehog series of games (with an innocent crush on Amy Rose), I've also pretended to be a cat for a while, and had an imaginary panther named "steve".

Offline Sky Striker

• Male
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 07:28:45 pm »
I had a big interest in the Sonic the Hedgehog series of games (with an innocent crush on Amy Rose)

Same here! In fact I still have an interest in Sonic the Hedgehog. (and when I say 'interest' I mean hopeless fanboy who won't stop buying the games even though they've gone downhill)
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline Rift

• color will be added soon :)
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 02:57:36 pm »
Kind of, I too was a fan of foxes, infact a few people called me that as a nickname a couple of times. I guess you could see my involvement growing from a younge age, I never really thought of it before.
Got a PS3, do u play games like Red Dead Redemption or Call of Duty: Black Ops? add me (ID- Jaymeric) =D

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 03:21:41 pm »
Oh man....

When I was little (about six, or seven) there was this TV show on PBS called between the lions. All the characters where lion puppets! Boy, did I love that show, I don't think I missed a single episode for about a year.  :o
Looking back, I can probably attribute my love of big cats, and my acceptance of anthropomorphic animals, to watching that show all the time when I was a kitten.  :-[
"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 03:32:54 pm »
When I was little (about six, or seven) there was this TV show on PBS called between the lions. All the characters where lion puppets! Boy, did I love that show, I don't think I missed a single episode for about a year.

OMG!  SOMEBODY ELSE HAS SEEN THAT SHOW!  The one where they run the library, right :D??

Anyway, I posted once, but it wasn't a very good description.  When I said other stuff, I mean one series specifically.  In 6th grade, I picked up a book called "Warriors: Into the Wild".  Its a book series aimed at around middle-school age, lets say, about 4 tribal/clan cats living in the areas surrounding a suburb.  I read this first book, and from then on out, I didn't read anything else until I had caught up.

Each series ran 6 volumes, with the exception of the manga spin-offs (both series) and the super-editions.  I read books 1-6 of series 1 and 2, books 1-3 of the third series, the field guide, the 1st manga spin-off (both volumes), and the first super-book.  I gave up when the main character of the third series started cutting and listening to linkin park, if you know what I mean.  But when I noticed in a book store that the 4th series started recently, and this year, there's going to be a second field guide, a third manga spin-off, (I had missed the second one), and another super-book, I felt as though I should catch up with my favorite book series of all time. 

(Luckily, Kishi owns most of them, so I've taken books 1-6 of the first series hostage  :D)

My fursona sales pitch:  "Are you familiar with a book series called 'Warriors'?  Be a cat.  Thank you"

Offline Kishi

• *balances ferret plushie on my head*
  • Male
    • Press this to be a stalker.
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 05:03:18 pm »

Anyway, I posted once, but it wasn't a very good description.  When I said other stuff, I mean one series specifically.  In 6th grade, I picked up a book called "Warriors: Into the Wild".  Its a book series aimed at around middle-school age, lets say, about 4 tribal/clan cats living in the areas surrounding a suburb.  I read this first book, and from then on out, I didn't read anything else until I had caught up.

This, and two things very important to how I became a furry, + Anima, an awesome 10 volume series that Shim introduced me to, I suggest you all give it a read. A series of youtube videos I forget the name to, introduced me and Shim to the ideas we had for a story we worked on in middle school. It sucked, and we never worked on it again. However, the characters from it are being used in our new story and are our online aliases.
"But are you going to kill her off?"
"It's not your decision. I love the character, she stays."
"Yeah, well the only thing love's done is put you in this position; I say kill her off!"
"Yeah, but you say a lot of things... and how does that work? You're a bicycle" Claudio Sanchez, In the song Ten Speed of Gods Blood and Burial, which is basically about a crazy old writer talking to his bicycle.

Offline Eeptog

• Airship Manx
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 07:14:54 pm »
when i was younger i loved following around our pet cat pretending to be another cat. That and i always loved tom and jerry/bugs bunny/ thundercats

and that tiger dude that got all the plastic surgery done, i saw a thing about him on Ripley's believe it or not and just thought "oh man i want to be like that"
FFD3drw A+>+++ C->+ D H P- R+ T+ Sm- RLU>A/M/AT a16 cn++++ f->++++ h*>++ i++ j+ p+ sm
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/eeptogtheundertaker/

Offline Murkrow

• my second fursona is a Spore Creature! 8D BIRGEE!
  • Female
    • Murkrows Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 12:34:56 am »
my grandma loves animals (mainly birds & cats), & i guess she passed that down to me. we both loved cats; they were/are our favorite animals. i always drew cats, & pretty much wanted to be one, never considering myself to be anything else but a cat.

but now i have a small connection with birds. the cat part wants to chase them, the bird part wants to chat with them. ^^;
"If we could sit together a moment and talk forever just to pass the time, I would smile as the shivers and chills run down my spine when your eyes are locked on mine. Oh we'll fill the metro skies with country air, and when you close your tired eyes, I'll meet you there.

I'll meet you there." ~ Owl City

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 02:55:30 pm »
When I was little (about six, or seven) there was this TV show on PBS called between the lions. All the characters where lion puppets! Boy, did I love that show, I don't think I missed a single episode for about a year.

OMG!  SOMEBODY ELSE HAS SEEN THAT SHOW!  The one where they run the library, right :D??

Yess! Oh, the memories.  :o That was a difficult time in my life, and that show saw me through all of it.  :)
"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline Sky Striker

• Male
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2010, 02:57:47 pm »

Yess! Oh, the memories.  :o That was a difficult time in my life, and that show saw me through all of it.  :)

Oy, I remember that show. It was very similar to Sesame Street if you think about it. Puppets teaching kids how to read and act nice with cut-aways during the story. My favorite cutaway was probably...

CLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIF HANGER, HANGING FROM A CLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIF!

Offline Spirit

• Female
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 07:51:51 pm »
It was pretty predetermined from when I was very young. When I was only three I had what could be called a fursona. She was a lemur named Doctor Lemur. Eventually I decided cats were better, which was influenced by the discovery of Warriors at age seven. Later on I developed an obsession with Chihuahuas, and after that, ferrets and other mustaelids. After that craze died down, I settled on cats again. That went on, anthropomorphic kitties littering my notebooks. Recently, when I was looking up 'anthropomorphic cats' I found the furry fandom and knew that, even if I denied it, I was a furry.

Offline Aerisyka

• Female
    • http://aerisyka.deviantart.com
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 12:12:30 am »
When I was little, I used to pretend I was a "cat person" all the time- I didn't have a fursona so much as two distinct characters, a white anthro cat named Cassie (who I played by myself as a lot) and a grey anthro cat named Ripper (part of an ongoing roleplay game with my friend, in which he was also a cat and we were spies.) I remember being around 4 years old and trying desperately to explain to my mom what an anthro was, since I wanted her to play the game with me, but getting frustrated because I didn't have the vocabulary to describe it as anything more than "a cat that's like a person." :D

In fact, here's some very early furry art I did back when I was somewhere around 4-6 years old: one, two, three.

I have a bunch more drawings like that buried in my house somewhere, haha.
We have a fascination with the darkness, although we're standing in light.
We have the strongest sense of kindness, but we still can't treat our own selves right.

<:3=*)~

Icon by 22mg!

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 12:28:03 am »
In fact, here's some very early furry art I did back when I was somewhere around 4-6 years old: one, two, three.

I wonder..In the third picture, why are there "No Cats Allowed" if clearly, there is an entire train running  ;)?

Offline Aerisyka

• Female
    • http://aerisyka.deviantart.com
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 12:33:48 am »

I wonder..In the third picture, why are there "No Cats Allowed" if clearly, there is an entire train running  ;)?

I think that there were "no cats allowed" in the building, and conveniently as the protagonist gets kicked out, the cat train just happens to be coming by to catch him. XD My six-year-old self had some curious ideas...
We have a fascination with the darkness, although we're standing in light.
We have the strongest sense of kindness, but we still can't treat our own selves right.

<:3=*)~

Icon by 22mg!