Author Topic: A question for writers  (Read 5698 times)

Offline LordFenrir

• Artist. Writer. Hack/fraud.
  • Male
Re: A question for writers
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 04:37:56 pm »
What annoys me is when a writer says something like 'that woman is acting like a total she-dog. My apologizes to all female dogs.' It's a stupid thing to say. If you are going to use terms in that way it would be like saying something to the effect of saying 'That man is acting like a total wet-back, my apologize to any Mexican out there.' It makes no Foxtroting sense. You need to set a culture stereo type and then you can't apologize to general group. If you call someone a wet-back it means that you think of Mexicans as wet-backs you're not about to apologize to them.

At that point, I believe the word really loses its potential as a swear word in a furry world.  Whenever anyone uses the term "Son of a *female dog*" in my Shadow of the Dog Lord games, nobody treats it as a swear, since that is the proper term for the mother, it's more of a statement of fact than an insult.  The same goes for words like "Hell" or "damnation", since those are used as part of the vocabulary in a religious fervor induced setting.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 12:38:15 pm »
I tend to stay with species like skunks, foxes, rabbits, ect.. no breeds..  As far
as primitives I would use a fantasy animal like a dragon or gryphon..

As a artist one is only limited by his imagination and the kind of audience he/she is
writing for..   

One reason I like using animal characters is to avoid human stereotypes or racism .. That
way the reader won't normally run into words or phrases that would make them uncomfortable.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:

oldrabbit.com

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 11:20:02 pm »
I usually go with what I know about species, and usually don't go too deep into them unless it's critical for the story.
About the limbs, it all depends on the story. I consider the whole universe the story is taking place, considering even the evolution of how they got to be how they are, what their fashion would be adapted for them, etc...
:3 Just go with what feels right.
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 03:00:09 am »
Here's one problem that a furry writer may run into if he is writing in a world that has no primitive horses, the term 'Horse Power'
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 03:35:07 pm »
Yeah, that is a bit weird when authors do that. Another thing that irks me is when say, we have a civilization of dogs and they name a place "Dogville" or something like that. I know they're trying to be cute but it doesn't make much sense, would we name a city "humanville?"

Besides, original names are much more fun.  :)
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 04:06:32 pm »
Another thing that irks me is when say, we have a civilization of dogs and they name a place "Dogville" or something like that. I know they're trying to be cute but it doesn't make much sense, would we name a city "humanville?"

Well, humans are the only creatures in our world that create towns, so it wouldn't make sense here, no. But in a furry world, who knows? Maybe if we had a city neighborhood filled with a bunch of rabbits, other species would start calling it "Rabbittown."

That's my goal, anyway. ;)

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 04:15:57 pm »
Another thing that irks me is when say, we have a civilization of dogs and they name a place "Dogville" or something like that. I know they're trying to be cute but it doesn't make much sense, would we name a city "humanville?"

Well, humans are the only creatures in our world that create towns, so it wouldn't make sense here, no. But in a furry world, who knows? Maybe if we had a city neighborhood filled with a bunch of rabbits, other species would start calling it "Rabbittown."

Well yeah the nickname could be that, other species calling a town filled with rabbits Rabbittown makes sense, just as calling The Shire Hobbiton. The Hobbits generally don't call it that but others do.
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2010, 01:28:24 am »

Considering that there are parts of major cities called "Little Italy", "China Town", and the like a part of a city inhabited mostly by rabbits could logically be called Rabbittown or Wolf's Den and not look stupid.
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 10:32:14 pm »
I shall just direct you guys to the following trope; http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FurryConfusion
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/