Author Topic: How do I admit I'm a furry?  (Read 15453 times)

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
Re: How do I admit I'm a furry?
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 12:22:10 pm »
I when I told my dad about the furry fandom, I just turned him over to this article: http://www.anthrocon.org/about-furry

"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline Vulpus

• Male
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 10:25:55 pm »
Do'h! Just realized this issue was already resolved. Woops.  (:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:27:50 pm by Vulpus »
My avatar is not mine. It was drawn by Jessie T. Wolf.

Offline Otacon

• Male
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 10:40:49 pm »
You don't have to tell anyone.

I've been drawing and collecting furry stuff for about a year now, and no one around me knows, they don't need to.

My mom went through my laptop (I gave her permission to), and she stumbled upon my folder with a bunch of furry pics in it, and she sort of just shrugged her shoulders and moved on.

It's really no big deal, I swear.

Aside from all the haters on the internet and stuff, which I really don't understand why we are so hated.

Offline Shabbernigdo

• Species: Sergal
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 02:27:54 am »
which I really don't understand why we are so hated.
A lot of it isint true hatred. Its just people trollin. People like to poke fun at whats different and furs are just a giant target.

Gotta admit with all the drama queens in the fandom it is pretty fun to poke fun at them and watch em explode.
For all the grammar/spellin Nazis
Yur just mad cuz u kant speel as gud as mee,

Offline Scrimno

• 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • Male
    • Scrimno's FA
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 07:36:12 am »
Lol I talked to my mom about it! All she did was ask questions like what's intrest you in it and stuff so all went well thx for the help guys
Great! That's about the most positive reaction one can hope for. Glad it went well.

IMO one doesn't have to "come out" and tell anybody.  Furs shouldn't worry about trying to act normal too much either. I'm a believer in expressing your identity. The only fursecution I've met was with one poor misled individual who thought cons were just mass orgies and had litterboxes in the corners of the building. I showed him pictures of FC from my phone and he changed his tune and said it looked like a lot of fun :3
Join Return of the Werewolf with me! I'm looking for more players! Go to http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php/topic,40266.0.html

Offline Foshling

• Until the end of my stomach's capacity!
  • Male
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 08:27:47 am »
No offense, but it furiates me whenever furries do this. >___> Why do people /have/ to know you're a furry? Are labels really that important to you that people must know? You don't see Sonic fans or Disney fans spazzing because the characters they like are critters. Don't get why furries make a huge deal over it. :l

:D YAAAAAAY Mooshi strikes again! You say it so well give me a hug!!!!
Well I think you have to directly tell them. Just act as if (and it is) normal and no one will give two hoots.
Strengths:
Very loyal
soft heart
trys to have conversations

weaknesses:
Very loyal
soft heart
trys to have conversations

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 05:13:18 pm »
Just act as if (and it is) normal and no one will give two hoots.
Uhm... maybe not so. Of course, it changes how you project the idea, but if you're living in a very right-wing space, I doubt there won't be any ramifications.
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline TCD

• Furry Elitist
  • Female
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 06:03:34 pm »
Just act as if (and it is) normal and no one will give two hoots.
Uhm... maybe not so. Of course, it changes how you project the idea, but if you're living in a very right-wing space, I doubt there won't be any ramifications.

Only if you're a moron about how you present yourself.

I live in Wyoming. Laramie, specifically. Famous for a particular instance of violence involving a gay man and a couple of drunken, paranoid cowboys. There's a growing number of us furs here on campus. I know and have met five--And I know there's more in the state at large. We have not been targeted for violence or any sort of bullying--one is obvious about his collar, another builds his own suits in his dorm room. I've worn JACK t-shirts and browse FA on my laptop. We're chill about it as a group. Therefore everyone else is chill about it and doesn't ask questions. It's no one else's business.
My Furaffinity! May contain mature images.
FFLw3ad A C D+ H++ M- P+++ R++ T++ W Z- Sf+ RLGP* a cn++ d+ e++ f+ h i++ p* sm+

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 09:22:14 pm »
And again, it might be true for some, but not all. Seriously, you could be as casual as you'd like and there will still be some who will get extremist on you.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 01:30:25 pm »
Just throwing this out there if you /have/ to tell anyone anything. :E Don't word things or say them in a way that will make the person you're talking to give a geniune "what did you do.." worried expression. xD

I do this to my mum all the time..."I feel ashamed in myself..." she then gives "that look" and I tend to reply with something stupid like "I'm starting to like Coke over Pepsi more!" (I did that earlier today xDD) Yes, I'm stoopid sometimes. :B But! Unless you're known to pull things off like that, don't give a serious dialog and then follow that up with something that actually sounds serious! When I joke with my mum, I follow up with something random - not stumbling over myself like I'm confessing I'm gay to a homophobic redneck father wearing a wifebeater in the deep south.

Stop acting that way, seriously. >___> If you must tell, but calm. This isn't with furry, it's what everything. "Guess what? I like ___ I find it interesting!" it's that simple, really. o.o Telling someone anything also works best when they are in a good mood. Order pizza if you have to. XD

Offline Lynk

• Male
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2010, 10:20:07 pm »
Well, I told some people on another forum I was a furry today, which, for me, took some guts. They didn't pay much attention, thank goodness. :D

Offline KitsuNinja

• Space Pirate
  • Male
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 03:44:21 pm »
Don't. If it's gonna cause grief in your life, don't bother.

EDIT: Yus I'm back. Miss me? I hope none of you found my secret candy stash while I was gone.
Kemono Party > Furry and kemono fan realists who would rather embrace random and cuteness over being drama-queen furries, furry vs furry bashing or a furry who tries too hard. :3

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 11:19:24 am »
Well, I told some people on another forum I was a furry today, which, for me, took some guts. They didn't pay much attention, thank goodness. :D
That is posting on the internet for you. A little will react positively, another few will make a huge deal out of it, and about 95% will not care.

Offline Otacon

• Male
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 04:29:57 pm »
Actually there are a large amount of people who think furries need to be "eliminated"  But furries are the friendliest people ever  :P

I didn't "announce it" on another forum, but I made it really clear, and I was heavily discriminated by everyone.

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 08:57:39 pm »
Actually there are a large amount of people who think furries need to be "eliminated"  But furries are the friendliest people ever  :P

I didn't "announce it" on another forum, but I made it really clear, and I was heavily discriminated by everyone.

Furries are no nicer than anyone else. :P They act the same really. That's not to say they are bad, just that everyone has their good and bad sides. Basically, its all gray.

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2010, 03:32:46 pm »
Furries are no nicer than anyone else.
Well people is people however they be...

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 04:00:49 pm »
Furries are no nicer than anyone else.
Well people is people however they be...

Yeah, that's what I said.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2010, 05:10:57 pm »
People is people..you've been reading one too many lolcat images, Serra. Haha, I'm guilty myself..I can has forgiveness?

Yes yes, no one is special. Some groups do have a higher ratio of friendliness than others, but that doesn't mean everyone fits that model.

Offline LordFenrir

• Artist. Writer. Hack/fraud.
  • Male
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2010, 05:40:51 pm »
People is people..you've been reading one too many lolcat images, Serra. Haha, I'm guilty myself..I can has forgiveness?

Yes yes, no one is special. Some groups do have a higher ratio of friendliness than others, but that doesn't mean everyone fits that model.

As I find more often than is perhaps healthy, Mooshi is correct ;)

I have been blessed to live in a college town that actually is pretty open to the whole furry thing, and by that I mean the strange college age kids wearing tails walking around town.  I never hear anything snide or disrespectful about it, and never once have I needed to tell people I'm a fur.  When people ask, I usually smile and say "because it's fun", and that's reason enough for me.

On the current "people is people" point, I have also been blessed with an absolutely amazing group of furs in my primarily farmland and redneck inhabited area that is Ohio, but despite this, there are a few furs who I would rather not associate myself with, mostly because they're downright arseholes :P  "Furry" does not automatically cleanse a person of all character defects and ills (I should know, I have faults of my own, but I think my worst is my downright arrogance ;) ), so a jerk will still be a jerk even if he became a furry.

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2010, 06:07:34 pm »
Wait, what?  >:(
What's that too much lolcat thing about!?

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2010, 06:55:02 pm »
Ur grammah iz nice i stil luff yew :3

"Because it's fun" is honestly the best and most simple answer I have seen in this thread, good job! l3

Offline Otacon

• Male
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2010, 07:38:40 pm »
When I said that furries being the friendliest people ever. I meant that the fandom is a friendly place.  I live in a place where you get beat up for being gay.

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2010, 08:05:27 pm »
When I said that furries being the friendliest people ever. I meant that the fandom is a friendly place.  I live in a place where you get beat up for being gay.

I was talking about Furry Fandom as well when I said Furries. It's no different than any other social group in that it has its own set of norms and customs. It all works the same. There is nothing special about Furry Fandom in regards to being some Utopia (I know this place plays on that for its name but I'm just saying); it's not. If you fit in with furry fandom more than your town that is fine and that is how we all find our places in where we like to be and who we associate ourselves with. That doesn't however make it the same for someone else who will be accepted more somewhere else other than furry fandom. It is not an "all accepting" society. There isn't such a thing as long as humans are involved.

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2010, 11:50:00 pm »
Ur grammah iz nice i stil luff yew :3

"Because it's fun" is honestly the best and most simple answer I have seen in this thread, good job! l3

I'll go grammar nazi on you  >:(

But yes, I agree, the fun part is important :3

Offline Ian

• Certified Troll
  • Male
    • Slyanimationz
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 07:51:17 pm »
I told everyone I knew. Only one person I knew knows what a furry is, so it worked out pretty well.
I'm sorry, but if you think you're special because you have a different font colour, you can go high five a sea urchin. No offense to you sea urchin furries.