Author Topic: Anyone have parents that don't understand?  (Read 10771 times)

Offline Lynk

• Male
Re: Anyone have parents that don't understand?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 02:55:05 pm »
I don't have the slightest idea how they would react if I told them. They're a bit unpredictable.

Offline Minokyoko

• Male
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 06:37:57 pm »
tonite while chatting to my parents about the financial bits of running the house, my interest in manga/anime/antro came up.

so it fully came out,

"i like that type of art and visual because i'm a furry, i am what i am."

didnt expect this reply

"whatever, if it doesnt cost us owt and gets you out and about in the world, go for it"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:40:34 pm by Minokyoko »
http://minokyoko.deviantart.com

Furcode
FCF/FT/CW f 2 a A+ C- D H+ M- P R+ T++ W Z+ Sf

Hope to have my fursuit made by then.

Offline HTMN

• Were done here
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 06:58:33 pm »
My parents have a hard time understanding anything i do that isn't in their plans for me.  We had to go through a huge argument when i told them i didn't want to be and engineer any more and wanted to start making video games.  My dad still grumbles at me whenever the topic come up.  So i haven't even told them about fandom, much less that i was a part of it.

I had the same argument aswell, my mam wanted me to be a physicist but im going to study games design  :D

Im sure if you tell your parents now its better than them finding out when there not supposed to.
If the laws of physics don't apply in the future, then god help you.
http://tinyurl.com/HTMNNotForHire <--Blog (WIP)
http://tinyurl.com/HTMNTheDragon<--YouTube (I'm lazy so WIP)

Offline Lycusthevampyrum

• Male
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 08:05:40 am »
Ahhhhhh I know how you feel dude...
My mom disaproves of everything I do, and giving the way she treats/talks about my freinds who cosplay, most likely covering it with fur would not make it better :'(
But on the other hand, although she hates my music, she likes my writing and drawing soooo
Pretty unpredictablexD
I'm tempted to tell her that I'm a furry so I can go to furnal equinox this weekend, so if I do I'll let you know!
As for you
Your parents don't sound as evil as mine, I'd either not talk to them about it, or just explain it like "I am what I am, an thats an anthro-artist, it's not illegal, it's not weird, it's just different and my way of being myself."
Hope this helps :)
"... And if you disagree with us, please: feel free to keep that oppinion to yourself!" -- Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Emerald Blade

• Guys, chill out, I got this" *KABOOM* "Nevermind
  • Male
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 05:12:26 am »
I'm not really worried about them "finding out" I just don't feel the need to bother with it.  If they wanna talk about it, why not but I don't care enough to bring it up my self
FYI I'm on Steam, wanna talk? msg me at Emerald Blade
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Matt/UNCE-UNCE-UNCE.png

Offline HTMN

• Were done here
  • Male
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 06:45:20 am »
I got round to telling my mam, Its not worth the hours its taking to explain it to her.
Imagine teaching an old woman to use the internet for the first time  >:(

Offline Sabe

• Male
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 08:52:28 am »
My parents dont know I dont plan on telling them if they find out they find out ill get it rubbed in my face somehow but thats about it :P
If you can't take the heat, get out of the rocket propulsion test chamber!!!

Offline Lycusthevampyrum

• Male
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 10:46:38 am »
Yeah, just an update here, I told my mom, she laughed at me...
I didn't get to go to the furcon, and now I have to put up with tail-jokes and the such.  :(
*sigh*
"... And if you disagree with us, please: feel free to keep that oppinion to yourself!" -- Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Stigandr

• Male
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 02:05:27 am »
Yeah, just an update here, I told my mom, she laughed at me...
I didn't get to go to the furcon, and now I have to put up with tail-jokes and the such.  :(
*sigh*

I know exactly what you mean with tail jokes!
Since I told them about a month ago, I've slowly been hearing the word "tail" more and more.
"Hey, get your tail outa bed"
(closing the car trunk) "Watch your tail."..Stuff like that. All light hearted though.
Icon by Shynjy. Visit his FA for goodies!

Offline Lycusthevampyrum

• Male
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 10:41:13 am »

Since I told them about a month ago, I've slowly been hearing the word "tail" more and more.
(closing the car trunk) "Watch your tail."..Stuff like that. All  light hearted though.

Aww, see I would appreaciate the warning to move my tail and hands and every other limb of mine away from the trunk before it is closed *accident-prone* This year alone I've already managed to get my hand slammed in the trunk and in the car door xD
I'm glad my dad lives far away though, because it wouldent be so light hearted... 
As for "Hey, get your tail outta bed" if I were you, I'd grab a tail, or a plush with a tail and be like "THERE!" and go back to sleep  ;)   

Offline HTMN

• Were done here
  • Male
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 07:51:03 pm »
As for "Hey, get your tail outta bed" if I were you, I'd grab a tail, or a plush with a tail and be like "THERE!" and go back to sleep  ;)

Haha WIN
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:53:28 pm by HTMN »

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 11:38:09 pm »
(closing the car trunk) "Watch your tail."..Stuff like that. All light hearted though.

I heard those jokes a LOT for first few months after my folks (mainly my dad) found out. Now, not so much. But it was all in fun, so I didn't mind even then.
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline knightpazz

• what's a tummy :/
  • Male
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 12:24:41 am »
Yes totally my mom is still wondering why I wear a collar all day and ears sometimes and why I draw ''CARTOONS'' as they call them they saw my furonsa drawing and thought it was like a bugs bunny drawing and why I watch ''CARTOONS'' so ya dont worry just dont try wearing a fursuit if a tail is to much a fursuit might be way to much I dont even have a fursuit beacuse I just finished my furonsa yesterday
If penguins had knees the world would be doomed

Offline Stigandr

• Male
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 01:18:29 am »
I doubt the jokes will stop anytime soon. I just got a tail...I'm in it for the long hall now.
Icon by Shynjy. Visit his FA for goodies!

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2011, 08:52:58 am »
I think my dad just got bored with it. After a while, I didn't get flustered anymore - I just didn't really react at all anymore. Fun was no longer there for him. haha

My tail hung off my guitar stand, in plain sight of any one who walked in my room, up until the other weekend the loop that held it on broke while I was wearing it...I fixed it, but I can't hang it up like i did til I get a new loop like it had.
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Lycusthevampyrum

• Male
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2011, 08:56:11 am »
I doubt the jokes will stop anytime soon. I just got a tail...I'm in it for the long hall now.

Whooooo!
*cheers you on*

Offline huskybutt

• Furry Store
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 06:40:27 pm »
I really don't feel like trying to explain it to my parents.  I know they wouldn't understand it and since I'm not really all that close with either of them anymore I don't see the point.
Check out my furry store  by clicking HERE 
T shirts, Stickers, Posters and More!

Offline Emerald Blade

• Guys, chill out, I got this" *KABOOM* "Nevermind
  • Male
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2011, 02:16:03 am »
Then don't, it's not like you have to explain it to everyone, the same way I don't have to explain my fascination with lock picking.
FYI I'm on Steam, wanna talk? msg me at Emerald Blade
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Matt/UNCE-UNCE-UNCE.png

Offline Dog_OF_War7

• Male
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 03:04:45 am »
my parents hate it and wont achnoledge me in public to be there son but my secound family is cool with it and all my friends think its cool some even are but i say let your freak flag fly be as weird as you wanna be why change for someone else  :D
=^.^= Dog Of War7=^.^=

Offline DreamerHusky

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2011, 06:41:11 pm »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:20:30 pm by DreamerHusky »

Offline Omni

• Female
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2011, 12:40:43 pm »
My parents think everything I do is insane and are quite non-understanding. Back when I told my mom about my panic attacks she answered: "Oh, that's all? I was already afraid you would be gay.". Which is nice to say to a bisexual person >_> I haven't told my parents about what a furry is yet, but I know surely they'll be angry to me about it.
Previously known as Omni. Now known as mlatylorxu (catfox) or, at times, as mlatu (cat).

Offline Mesi-Murasaki

• Female
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 02:15:02 pm »
My mom thinks its wierd, but doesn't seem to mind much after I told her about some popular furries characters that I liked before I even knew what furry was (I used Sonic the Hedgehog as a big example) She doesn't mind as long as it's not a cult, a fetish (for me it's not), or anything against our religion. I even showed her some furry art, and she thought it was "different, but cute" My dad obivousily googled it and found all the creepy and wierd stuff, because now he thinks i am into all that stuff. I never mention furry around him, and I have pretty much given up on explaining to him what furdom really is. It's really sad, beacuse he likes a few old cartoons with furries in them and refuses to believe that anything from his childhood is furry. Than again he is a very right wing conservative, ugh.... I could go into rant mode on that about him, but I wont. At least I am 17, and when I can move out in a few years (I plan on moving out when I am 21, just because I am graduating at 19, and am very poor with saving money.... ^^;) I plan on taking full advantage of being an adult  ;)

Offline Chiscringle

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2011, 07:25:38 am »
My dad was hospitalized with gonorrhea by the time he was my age and is the only person I know pressuring me to meet girls.  That said, he can't throw stones and doesn't ask questions.

My mom, on the other hand, has been fen for over 40 years and was an artist/costumer in the old days.  She identifies pretty well and knew a lot of people who went on to be icons of that sort of thing so me being furry was just a matter of joining a fan group for her.  At first she thought fursuits looked stupid, but then saw Quarazzel's stuff and now she wants one.
My quad: Thrakmon

Wizard lynx: Loramendi

Main furry story: Kindle Store

FA: Chiscringle

Offline PupLilith17

• "Merry Christmas!"
  • Female
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2011, 09:54:12 am »
my mom doesnt care much about me being furry, but she does not like me wearing tails and collars out of the house.
(or on any other day than halloween)
so i just sneak them out and get yelled at when i get home wearing them >:(
or get them confiscated.
---------------------------------------http://brialilith.deviantart.com/

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2011, 11:17:05 am »
My dad didn't approve of anything that requires imagination or fantasy. If you think of the Dursleys from Harry Potter you're pretty much on target.
My mom's the exact opposite. She knows I hang out on Furry boards. She's seen the CSI episode and realizes that most of it was just for entertainment purposes. She has no problems with anything I do so long as it isn't self destructive.
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.