Author Topic: Racism in an anthropomorphic world  (Read 6054 times)

Offline DreamerHusky

Re: Racism in an anthropomorphic world
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 02:14:34 pm »
This thought entered my mind after reading some of TwoKinds (thanks for the suggestion Shim)

If, we so happened to all be anthros, how would species be incorporated in every day life? Sure, if the humans were tipped off just by skin color, or clan, then would the IRL furries be any better?
My initial thought is 'Cats vs. Dogs'  (:

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 01:07:33 am »
Perhaps.

I guess in any scenario it would occur...  But i think it's occurrence would drastically differ depending on scenario.

If you have a world full of just anthros, yes,  there would be a high level of racism.

If you had a world of mixed anthros and humans where both had always existed,  there would be racism,  but not as much because the anthros would feel a sense of camaraderie.

If you have a world with Anthros,  humans,  and various other races such as orcs,  dwarves, elves, undead, and whatever else with the anthros having a population proportionate to the other races (somewhere in-between a 5th and an 8th of the populace)  the sense of camaraderie would be a LOT stronger and racism would likely be rare.

If you have a world of humans finds a way to surgically change themselves into anthros,  the anthros would be extremely rare,  and racism amongst themselves would be practically non-existent.  (at least until anthros became a norm and the populations balanced out a bit.)

I think it all depends on the setting.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:11:32 am by Alsek »

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 11:38:14 am »
I'll ignore the food thing because it really depends on the situation in the hypothetical world more than just being anthro.

The first thing I'd think would determine it is intelligence, and to some extent animal personality traits. If there was any difference between species at all, I think there would be a greater amount of racism (compared to now) depending on the significance of that difference. Intelligence probably being more important than just personality traits because it's easier to argue your superiority over someone if they're actually inherently dumber than you, but personality would be enough to cause something for sure. I think a lot of people even IRL believe things like that are inherently different in difference races.

The second thing would be whether species can interbreed successfully. I'm not sure exactly what effect it would have and it would probably be fairly unpredictable, but I imagine there would be a difference. An inability to breed with members of another race might cause more of a divide between them, for example.
-I still can't think of anything.