Author Topic: What's the extent of a furry?  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Corky

• Male
What's the extent of a furry?
« on: March 20, 2011, 02:02:49 pm »
I've never really spoken to other furries, but then again I don't even know if I am technically one. I've been roleplaying for years on a game service with a small community of people, and for a long time I had no clue what furries even were (maybe I still don't). Eventually I ran across an artwork style that I really enjoyed, and it happened to be anthropomorphic stuff (furries). I thought they were alluring, zany, and an interesting twinge as a metaphor for human personalities. In fact, that's how I came across furtopia, a fellow RPer was using an attractive image from a gallery on this website to describe her character. It was wonderful, to say the least.

Now the roleplaying has basically died out, but I never lost my affinity for playing as furry characters. I still log on and mess around with friends who happen to be online, but then I had to wonder; where do these people go? What exactly stems all this furry art I see all the time?

I guess the best investigation I have so far is just joining here and asking questions. I see that the definition of a furry is quite ranged and depends who you ask! I don't know if I'd ever dress up in a suit, or use furry-terms like paw and such to describe my actions, but I certainly find a lot of the realistic-looking artwork to be amazing. I also like the idea of an alternate reality where there is such a thing as furries roaming around, having a life better than this one. This isn't to say I don't love my life, but c'mon... furries are furries.

So, is there a clear-cut method to figuring out if you're a furry? Or am I just a fellow who's lost in a ridiculous fantasy? I already see you guys have a roleplaying thread... very tempting.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
Re: What's the extent of a furry?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 02:05:38 pm »
Well, its really just about the appreciation of the anthromorphic animal arts & characters & form, with anything beyond that merely being subdivisions.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 02:10:15 pm »
There's no right or wrong way to describe furriness, or even if you want to call yourself furry. Ask ten people what furry is and chances are, you'll get 15 different answers.  :D You can be as much or as little into furry as you want.
Best advice I can give is to browse the threads in the Furries on Furry forum and the Lifestylers forum as those two forums will have the majority of topics and answers you're looking for. ;)

Also, Welcome to Furtopia. :) When you have a moment, feel free to head to our Greetings forum and introduce yourself there. :)

Offline Corky

• Male
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 04:46:31 pm »
There's no right or wrong way to describe furriness, or even if you want to call yourself furry. Ask ten people what furry is and chances are, you'll get 15 different answers.  :D You can be as much or as little into furry as you want.
Best advice I can give is to browse the threads in the Furries on Furry forum and the Lifestylers forum as those two forums will have the majority of topics and answers you're looking for. ;)

Also, Welcome to Furtopia. :) When you have a moment, feel free to head to our Greetings forum and introduce yourself there. :)

Ahh, I always forget the introduction series for forums. Also, I didn't realize furry-loving was so diverse. <:( I FEEL SO ALONE NOW!

Offline Tuna

• tunatunatunatunatunatunatunatuna
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 01:01:22 am »
How can you feel alone, amidst such an inclusive group?
=^^=

Kobuk said it best - "furry" is totally self-defined and self-assigned. It is whatever you think it is, and you are one if you think you are one. For some, it is about the art, for others, the roleplaying...for others, suiting...for others, it's a quasi-spiritual connection with nature, or animals...and a hundred other things, some in combination. It really is what you make it.
 :)
If I no longer think
of reality
as reality,
what reason would I have
to think of dreams as dreams?

- Saigyo

Offline Emerald Blade

• Guys, chill out, I got this" *KABOOM* "Nevermind
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 12:15:29 pm »
=^^=

Kobuk said it best - "furry" is totally self-defined and self-assigned. It is whatever you think it is, and you are one if you think you are one. For some, it is about the art, for others, the roleplaying...for others, suiting...for others, it's a quasi-spiritual connection with nature, or animals...and a hundred other things, some in combination. It really is what you make it.
Couldn't have said it better myself, so I'll just quote you because it takes less typing :D
FYI I'm on Steam, wanna talk? msg me at Emerald Blade
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Matt/UNCE-UNCE-UNCE.png

Offline Corky

• Male
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 04:06:35 am »
=^^=

Ahh, but being a human, I detest ambiguous definition! ;P

I guess I'll just say it. I'm a furry.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 10:43:09 am »
If you want something less ambiguous, you have my technical definition. :D
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Stigandr

• Male
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 01:28:39 am »
Furry has no boundaries. That's why I love it.
Icon by Shynjy. Visit his FA for goodies!

Offline knightpazz

• what's a tummy :/
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:53:29 pm »
the act of being a furry is really just to  enjoy/make the art work or well im not gonna say them all but really if you have at least one of these things down and you think your a furry...then your a furry pretty much then there is also ways of expressing your furryness like wearing ears,a tail,a collar,fursuit what ever but you dont even have to express it publicly im 12 years old and i totally get this stuff so trust me once you get the info you will have the info I wear a collar because i want to not because i have to to be a furry
If penguins had knees the world would be doomed