Author Topic: Halloween Store Fursuit Heads  (Read 4779 times)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
Halloween Store Fursuit Heads
« on: September 06, 2016, 07:12:19 pm »
Some of you may have seen the moving-jaw costume heads being offered online for about $60. First there was that white fox or wolf. Now a reddish-brown wolf and even a white tiger are being offered.

I was able to find some examples of these products in a local store and examine them closely. In this case, the canid masks.

First, keep in mind that these are import costume masks and the quality of the fur is not comparable to fursuit materials. However, these can be instructional to someone interested in fursuit  masks and their construction.
It occurred to me that the masks could be customized with different noses, ears, eyes, fur, color. The colors of the masks are basic and easy to match or compliment when making accessories like tails or paws. Online tutorials can provide other ideas.

The masks that I examined, were simply attached to large illustration board placards with nylon tie-wraps so they could be hung on a wall display. So any number of people could have tried them on. There was a mirror nearby after all. So, spraying them with disinfectant, once purchased, is advised. Only four masks were out in the store I visited but they may have had more in stock.

IIRC, the white fox/wolf head mask sold out online last year. Customer comments are a must-read, but being able to view this item personally is the best option in my view.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Halloween Store Fursuit Heads
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:16:56 pm »
I'm guessing you must mean these?
https://www.spirithalloween.com/product/101221.uts

I've also seen a white tiger mask and a brown bear mask. While all the masks seem decent, I'm betting they're made with cheap materials (China  :P ) and won't last very long after a dozen or so uses. They're probably ok for a person "just starting" to get into fursuiting and being furry.

As nice and cheap as they may seem, I'd rather stick to commissioning a fursuit head from a fursuit maker. At least the quality will be much better, the fit will be much better, and I'll get a head made to my design specifications. ;)

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 08:41:27 pm »
Heh, we have one of those stores that takes over a vacant grocery store.  Never stepped into that place, but I would consider it for halloween decor.  If they have that white wolf one I'd try it for laughs.
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 11:37:02 pm »
I'm guessing you must mean these?
https://www.spirithalloween.com/product/101221.uts

I've also seen a white tiger mask and a brown bear mask. While all the masks seem decent, I'm betting they're made with cheap materials (China  :P ) and won't last very long after a dozen or so uses. They're probably ok for a person "just starting" to get into fursuiting and being furry.

As nice and cheap as they may seem, I'd rather stick to commissioning a fursuit head from a fursuit maker. At least the quality will be much better, the fit will be much better, and I'll get a head made to my design specifications. ;)

According to several customer comments, fit was an issue, perhaps made for small person. Although there was a delightful comment from a parent (I assume) who bought one for a child who loves furries. Other than that, they are pretty much a novelty item and you get what you pay for.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)