Author Topic: Feathers help  (Read 6472 times)

Offline EmuMadam

• Female
Feathers help
« on: September 18, 2009, 03:17:29 am »
Ok I want to make some costumes that need feathers but I need some help I want to use fake feathers but I don't know where to buy them and looked for a long time.
I thought of making them by printing a picture of a feather on a transfer and puting it on fabric material and use plastic or casting resin for the middle of the feather.
Any better ideas out there? I would love to be able to buy fake feathers I don't want to use real ones even though that would solve the problem quickly because that would be like I was trying to turn into a real animal or something thats why I want fake ones plus they should last longer, hope thats ok thanks.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:52:06 am by CaseyCoati »

Offline Mianame

• Female
    • www.mirches.deviantart.com
Re: Feathers help
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 01:14:17 pm »
I'm sorry to say that I have absolutely no idea where to buy them, but here's a tutorial for making some out of faux fur:

http://community.livejournal.com/fursuit/2533653.html

I haven't read it actually, but I do believe the maker said it was very time consuming. It might be hard to make them, bu the result is spectacular!

Offline Murkrow

• my second fursona is a Spore Creature! 8D BIRGEE!
  • Female
    • Murkrows Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 04:20:32 pm »
there are many craft stores (A.C Moore, Michaels, sometimes Walmart) which sell fake feathers.

either that or find a few pillows that say they were stuffed with feathers (you might want fake if they do make them still), & go stabby-rip-stab-stab on it! XD

id find an A.C Moore store thats nearby, since they have ALOT of faux stuff (i go there alot, & they have feather stuff). they come in small packages tho, so buy lots of them.
"If we could sit together a moment and talk forever just to pass the time, I would smile as the shivers and chills run down my spine when your eyes are locked on mine. Oh we'll fill the metro skies with country air, and when you close your tired eyes, I'll meet you there.

I'll meet you there." ~ Owl City

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male

Offline millislim

• Princess Indira Fairfang
  • Female
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 12:36:08 am »
I found someone who made feathers out of fur. It was pretty ingenious since you can get fur in almost any color, plus sewing fur is alot easier than feathers

Offline EmuMadam

• Female
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 07:40:36 am »
Faux fur tutorial looks great for main colours only it would be hard to make feathers like peacocks in that way but I'll try it out; so I'll try and add some picture feather transfer along with it for hard feathers like peacock ones I'll hope I get hard ones to work out. :)
Also I thought just came to mind today of fake leaves that look close to feathers might be use able some how.
Sadly I don't have those craft stores here.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 08:35:58 am by CaseyCoati »

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 08:44:15 am »
Do you have any pics or sketches we could see of the project you want to do? Seeing those might help us give more info. for you. ;)

Offline SPark

• Female
    • http://www.sparkcostumes.com
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 11:16:04 pm »
Kobuk - your links go to real feathers dyed fake colors.

NOT a good idea for a fursuit!  Real feathers aren't always durable, and are prone to attracting mites.  Long-lasting real feather costumes have to be periodically stored in the freezer or sprayed with chemicals to kill the mites.

I make feathers from all sorts of things, it depends on the size, shape, color, and style I'm after!  Foam is probably my number one go-to for feathers, craft foam is really good for them, though you have to treat it gently.  For more durable feathers I've often used fur, and I've used plain old cotton fabric as well.

That tutorial is pretty neat, I may try that out one of these days.  Though it's time-consuming as heck, looks like.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 11:19:48 pm »
Real?  :o Oooops. Sorry bout that. I didn't know.  :-[

Offline kmdfur

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 12:34:48 pm »
I don't know about fake feathers, but there are some real ones at a reasonable price at http://www.eventswholesale.com/ostrich-feathers/  I think you will come out better buying the in bulk.  I found some fake on Etsy a long time ago, but they were actually more expensive!

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 01:15:52 pm »
This  topic has been locked as it is long past our 6 month gravedigging rule.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#