Poll

Do you think ESP exists in some form?

Yes
No
Do not know
My fursona(s) have ESP or live in a world with it
My fursona(s) do not have ESP but it exists in thier world.
My fursona(s) do not have ESP, and it does not exist in thier world.

Author Topic: Extra Sensory Perception?  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
Extra Sensory Perception?
« on: December 11, 2018, 12:25:03 am »
Was curious what people think of the topic.
What does you and your fursona say about ESP.
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
Re: Extra Sensory Perception?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 01:22:49 am »
Not really but he is slightly psycho
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 10:02:24 am »
It's like a really crappy radio: usually you don't hear anything because it's so quiet, even if you listen hard. Other times you can hear things if you pay attention, and other times it's so loud it interrupts what you are thinking. When that happens you'd better listen to it.

But that's where the radio analogy falls short. It's not words or anything you hear, but more like an emotion that can articulate fine physical details and actions.

My fursona is merely a canine expression of myself, and so I would say that that yes, it exists, but neither of us 'have' it. It's more like a tool that something or someone can use to communicate with me. It's something I can pay attention to, but can't will it to work.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 10:19:40 am »
I treat ESP like I would UFO's or any other paranormal thing: Show me the proof/evidence. Then maybe I'll believe. I'm open to the possibility of it, BUT...........;)

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 10:43:39 am »
I can't prove anything, but I can't explain some strange things that seem like esp.
So I voted a yes.

But no, can't prove it.
Poll is just for fun.
(Name that tune!)

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 04:40:07 am »
I am experiencing a strange sense of  déjà vu, as though I have answered this exact question before in a previous existence. Perhaps I can channel a message from my past self...

"Paranormal" and "supernatural" events are not real, by definition. If they were real, they would just be "normal" and "natural". Same goes for "extrasensory perception": if you can perceive something, it's sensory. It may not be a sense that others are familiar with, but it is a sense nonetheless. Now stop confusing everyone with this self-contradictory nonsense. :P

Offline charcoal

• artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 04:58:34 am »
This us how I look at paranormal stuff I have to see it now I stopped beliveing bumps in the night after i learned it was just my older brother in a hellraiser mask and I learned fight or flight is no joke and what a glass can do

• Male
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 09:13:29 am »
I am experiencing a strange sense of  déjà vu, as though I have answered this exact question before in a previous existence. Perhaps I can channel a message from my past self...

"Paranormal" and "supernatural" events are not real, by definition. If they were real, they would just be "normal" and "natural". Same goes for "extrasensory perception": if you can perceive something, it's sensory. It may not be a sense that others are familiar with, but it is a sense nonetheless. Now stop confusing everyone with this self-contradictory nonsense. :P

I always took 'extra' in 'extra sensory' to mean something beyond the basic 5. A bit like how you can feel high voltage/current running through wires without touching them or your hairs moving due to a charge. Is it touch? It's likely your nervous system(electrical in nature) reacting to the strong, changing magnetic field, so it's definitely feeling, but without touching anything. This is unlike static, where an electrical charge pulls on hairs, causing them to move, and feeling the hairs move.

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 11:10:46 am »
Ha, yeah, I can see the potential annoyance with the term ESP.
I would agree with Varg, something you experience that didn't seem to fit the senses of, touch, taste, smell, vision, hearing, body mechanics, infrasound/air pressure, etc, that comes from outside yourself, yet is not something you can touch directly.

I did a quick check to see if the topic had been discussed, but I didn't do a good enough job maybe?
Sorry if I posted a topic on ESP and yet it has already been done before.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:32:36 am by Jade Sinapu »
(Name that tune!)

• Male
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 10:46:26 pm »
I did a quick check to see if the topic had been discussed, but I didn't do a good enough job maybe?
Sorry if I posted a topic on ESP and yet it has already been done before.
It doesn't matter, if the last post is over 6 months old forum policy is to start a new one. There areexceptions of course.

It would be interesting to develop a repeatable experiment to test this. The problem would be isolating how the information was sent, so the receiver couldn't deduce it from other things.

Offline charcoal

• artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 11:27:11 pm »
They u.s government and the Soviets during cold war had expiramented with esp to spy on each other correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was called project stargate

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 01:02:23 am »
There have been real studies on professional musicians. Like those you would find in an orchestra. The results finding that, hypothetically, because they have to use both sides of the brain at the same time, they show a higher score with ESP tests.

As far s I go. If I make one prediction an hour for 24 hours. Two of them come true. I'll have the same accuracy as a broken clock.

My fursona doesn't have ESP. Not a part of Tapon Ru or any of the backstories I have for my imaginary world.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 09:01:28 pm »
They u.s government and the Soviets during cold war had experimented with esp to spy on each other correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was called project stargate

Yep, you are right!

So, anyone interested in figuring out a smart way to play around and see if we can toy with ESP over the internet?
Spook each other out?
What we need is a smart way to do a "scientific"  8) study.  Might need an impartial person to collect info from other members and then report at the end.
Thoughts?
(Name that tune!)

• Male
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 11:42:58 pm »
Maybe a game with colors? Siiwolf (from here) and I used to play a game where one person would pick a color and focus on it, preferable while looking at it, and the other person would try to tell them what it was.

If a third, disinterested person was involved the person focusing on the color could tell them what they were looking at, and the person trying to read what color was on their mind would report it to them. Not only would this third person keep record, but if someone hits a gray area (It was blue, but I kept thinking of the shaggy grass outside) or (I got blue, but it was kinda brown). They could compare if there was a corresponding difference and count it as a hit or not.

Offline charcoal

• artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 02:26:01 am »
Sounds fun who says learning can't be fun

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 06:37:55 am »
People have done experiments like this with large amounts of money as a reward for anyone who can reliably demonstrate they have ESP.

The rewards have always gone unclaimed.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline charcoal

• artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 07:46:40 am »
Or just a lucky quess or two and money in your pocket
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 08:08:16 am by charcoal »

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 11:14:15 am »
Ha ha, yeah maybe no money involved.
I think I know what you are referring to Loc, very rigorous scientific studies in laboratories, video recorded as well.

So if anyone was to try, it would only ever be a game.  And if anything came out of it, it wouldn't carry any weight.
But it might be fun to see what happens.... If I did that, would it be a word game?
(Name that tune!)

Offline Michen_S

• Species: Ghost cat
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 02:38:01 pm »
Yes, I do believe it is a real thing, and it does exist in my fantasy world. However, there's a catch to it.

Let's start with the real world. Yes, I do think ESP is a real thing. However, ESP work in ways way more chaotic than any other sense. There are a lot of people who don't even experience any sort of ESP whatsoever. I could probably explain part of how ESP works? Then again, I would need to refer to my spirituality for that and I don't want to go in that territory foor this topic. Let's just say ESP as a whole is just a mess.

As for my fantasy world, it's not much better. ESP still has limits and most people are not able to use ESP. However, if someone has an ESP ability, how well their ESP works is simplified immensely. It all hangs together with how the world works spiritually, because I had to simplify both that and ESP a lot to incorporate it easily in my world in the first place. Despite that, it's still a chaotic ability. I suppose that's how it was meant to be, anyways.

As for me, I and all characters I have so far can't use ESP at will. A game with guessing the colour someone else focuses on would probably render my correct answers to be random guesses.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 04:31:01 pm »
Yes, chaotic would be a good way to describe the few things that have happened to me IRL.

My fursona can only use ESP well if he meditated in the woods and gets close to nature
  Then he can tune into the quiet noise in the world and sift it out. Even then he is not 100%.
(Name that tune!)