not-so-furry discussion > news forum

High Gas Prices

(1/2) > >>

Cirocco the Silver Fox:
And you thought you had it rough filling up your tank - try being expected to pay $84K. The issue has since been resolved, but apparently Citibank locked the man out of his account and demanded repayment of the entire and full amount, and he spent about a week without being able to access even his own paycheck. The gas station on the other hand issued the man a $100 gift card to make sure that he wouldn't run out of fuel through out the week.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/tennessee-man-charged-85-000-tank-gas-183952664.html

Morphy:
Whoa, good thing I use a BP/Visa card instead of my bank's debit/Visa card. Even if I get charged some ungodly amount of money because the employee had a seizure and facerolled the register, I'd still be able to pay my other bills and survive paycheck to paycheck.

On the other hand, it'd be a month before I found out the error, but hey! Think of all those points I racked up.  :D

Cirocco the Silver Fox:

--- Quote ---Even if I get charged some ungodly amount of money because the employee had a seizure and facerolled the register,
--- End quote ---
<--------- I just lol'd. So hard.

But yeah, while it seems an odd error it isn't actually entirely unheard of. I used to work as a cashier at a gas station, and a lady once went to buy a pack of cigarettes which at the time came out to be something like $7.49 have tax, and the debit card machine asked her to confirm if the amount was correct - $5340.16.

When her eyes went wide, I peered over the counter at the amount the machine wanted to charge her and my jaw practically dropped. My cash register said $7.49 but the debit reader hooked up to my register wanted to charge her well over that. She canceled and paid cash.

So hiccups in systems do happen, however Citibank really botched their customer service on this one if you ask me.

Old Rabbit:
Most cards, credit, debit, ect usually have a charge/pay limit option. I have
mine set so I get a email if the charge is over $100 bucks. Might
be a good thing to check out.

Rocket T. Coyote:
Unbeknownst to me, Kroger would grab an extra $75 out of my debit account every time I used my debit card to buy gasoline. After a few weeks, the $75 was returned, but it broke me of the tendency to use my PayPal to buy fuel from Kroger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version