Author Topic: PM message limit per hour  (Read 4979 times)

Offline SkyFire

• Species: Pheonus Vulneras
  • The Sky is grey, for my Rose did fade away.
  • Male
PM message limit per hour
« on: June 26, 2013, 01:13:17 pm »
Okay I've exceeded 20 PMs per hour, HOW DO I MAKE GO AWAY?? I'm in the middle of a very important conversation.....
Every great hero has walked the fine line between darkness and the light. Every legendary hero has set foot in both.
10K post club.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: PM message limit per hour
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 01:16:05 pm »
Ask the other person for a different form of contact, like Skype? Or both go on the IRC and send PMs on there. This is the first I've heard of a PM limit, I didn't even know it existed. I view PMs on the forums as more like emails than an instant messanger.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 01:22:14 pm »
What if this the only form of communication available to me?
Every great hero has walked the fine line between darkness and the light. Every legendary hero has set foot in both.
10K post club.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 01:22:48 pm »
Okay I've exceeded 20 PMs per hour, HOW DO I MAKE GO AWAY?? I'm in the middle of a very important conversation.....

You can't "make it go away".  :P That limit was set long, long ago by WS and/or the older Furtopian staff to prevent people from spamming the PM system with massive amounts of messages to members.

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 01:29:13 pm »
Is white Shepard still around? It seems kinda selfish, but it would be very nice if the PM limit was raised to about 25-30.
10K post club.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 01:43:28 pm »
Is white Shepard still around? It seems kinda selfish, but it would be very nice if the PM limit was raised to about 25-30.

I'll take it under "advisement" to possibly raise the limit in the future. But I don't see the need to raise it now just for one person (You) who is having problems. If this were more of a chronic or persistant problem that more members were having, then perhaps the staff might consider raising the limit. But for now, this has never really been a huge issue on Furtopia.

I suspect you're asking to have the limit raised so you can PM role play issues with other members?

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 04:20:22 pm »
Yes, we are plotting and planning the futures of our threads while I foreshadow my return. I see no reason to deny it. I know that blackrose13 also has issues with the limit, and flame reader, but those are the only ones I know of.
10K post club.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 09:56:25 am »
There's no way that this can be your only way of communication.  Can't you get on IRC and make a private room (using the web client)?

If not, can you create a room on TinyChat?  http://tinychat.com/  That should work for you.

If not, can you make an alternate email address and use the web client?

Or you can make an alternate Facebook and use the live chat feature....

There are a lot of options. ;) 

Offline Flame Reader

• A video game can be art and poetic quotes can suck
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 11:41:35 pm »
the limit is horrifying with and especially without other ways to communicate. All we need is like a notification or message that we are close to our limit, so we can get important stuff out of the way and NOT look like jerks to our friends.
fursona done by saiyu! THANKS SAIYU! :D

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 12:04:23 am »
There are other ways to communicate:
Talk on the phone.
Email
IM's such as Skype, Yahoo, MSN, etc.
IRC

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 12:23:53 am »
Talk on the phone.
Email
IRC

And when none of these options are available to us? What then?
10K post club.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 12:25:41 am »
I'm kind of curious how you can have access to the forums and yet not to a hotmail/gmail account.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Mylo

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 02:56:05 am »
Talk on the phone.
Email
IRC

And when none of these options are available to us? What then?

I figure the only way those other options would not be available to you would be if you were on a computer that was locked to Furtopia, which is next to highly unlikely.  You could just PM each other your email address/IM screen name, etc., and then continue conversation from there.

I second Loc's question.  If you can legitimately describe how you absolutely cannot use any other method of communication, then maybe we can sympathize with you more...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 04:33:05 am by Mylo »

Offline ColonelMustang

• Species: Dire-Wolf
  • The Two Fisted Protein Junkie
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 09:12:16 am »
Can we have it raised to like 40. It just turned 8:12 and my last pm exceeded the limit and I was in the middle of two conversations. I feel slightly rude not being able to respond now.
Sarzon! <-- inside joke

Offline Jackie

• Species: Sherbet Red Panda
  • Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 09:15:10 am »
Aaaw dang, It's okay sea  ;)
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline Mylo

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 09:40:40 am »
Can we have it raised to like 40. It just turned 8:12 and my last pm exceeded the limit and I was in the middle of two conversations. I feel slightly rude not being able to respond now.

I'm really sorry that your conversation got cut short, but there are so many other communication channels available to you all.  From how frequently you all converse, I would suggest that tomorrow, as the very first PM to each other, you work out how to communicate outside of Furtopia with one of the many options we've suggested to you in this thread.  Also, you can make a post in the Furry Connections and Contacts forums with all of your preferred contact addresses, so that other people may get a hold of you.  You'll find this thread of use: http://forums.furtopia.org/furry-connections-and-contacts/instant-messangers/300/

At the very least, exchange email addresses.  That way, you can continue your conversation. 

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 12:38:49 pm »
PM's are not meant to be used in place of IM programs. If you're having conversation that quickly use an IM client or the IRC.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 12:53:58 pm »
It's more that the PM's are by far the most effective way to communicate forum business on the IPod, because it take more time to sign in and send/recieve email. Besides, it takes us away from the forum so when we get back we have the whole RP board screaming at us to post. But, hey, it saves you work aside from your normal workload as staff on here, so I'll file this as one of the no or eventuallies that never materialize.....
10K post club.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 01:04:36 pm »
It's more that the PM's are by far the most effective way to communicate forum business on the IPod, because it take more time to sign in and send/recieve email. Besides, it takes us away from the forum so when we get back we have the whole RP board screaming at us to post. But, hey, it saves you work aside from your normal workload as staff on here, so I'll file this as one of the no or eventuallies that never materialize.....

Oh, you're on an iPod?  That's great.  :)  Here is a tutorial for setting up an email account on it.  You only have to sign in once on the iPod, and then you can set it to automatically update your email.  Even PMs don't automatically alert you...you have to keep refreshing Furtopia.  Also, it seems like the same people participate in RPs all the time, so why don't you exchange email addresses with all of them, that way you can keep in touch even when one of you reaches your PM limit?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 04:34:02 am by Mylo »

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 01:15:25 pm »
No, I know quite well how to set up an email account, and how to use it. PMs are convenient and on-site. Emails aren't. We can finish up a post and receive PM notification then, at a pretty convenient time, instead of breaking off mid-post to deal with it. Dude, it's a matter of trust and we lack it, besides, have you not dealt with disputes on the RP board? I don't want some of them to have my email.
10K post club.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 01:26:22 pm »
No, I know quite well how to set up an email account, and how to use it. PMs are convenient and on-site. Emails aren't. We can finish up a post and receive PM notification then, at a pretty convenient time, instead of breaking off mid-post to deal with it. Dude, it's a matter of trust and we lack it, besides, have you not dealt with disputes on the RP board? I don't want some of them to have my email.

Well, as for the PM limit, I'm sure there are reasons for why it is set where it is.  So I'm taking that as unchangeable, and instead suggesting alternate ways for you to handle it.  You could make an email specifically to give to RP players, and to only be used for RPs.  You can also buy an IRC client, like Colloquy, and then use that to log into Furtopia IRC and make a room to discuss RP-related things. 

Also, your email is visible in your profile.  So, all of them can get your email right now, so you might want to change the visibility of that.  And IMHO, if you are going to be RPing with these people as much as you are, then I would hope you would develop at least some sort of trust with them to be able to utilize some other form of communication.

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 01:36:09 pm »
Anyways, I thank you and appreciate your advice on this, and I will let on one thing. The email on my profile is not my email. It's an account I run YouTube and my gaming accounts off of, I have a separate one for conversing. 
10K post club.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 01:38:01 pm »
Just wanted to make sure.  ;)

Offline SkyFire

• Male
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 01:41:07 pm »
Just wanted to make sure.  ;)

Why have you stolen the bear guy's avatar? 0.o
10K post club.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 07:50:04 pm »
Sky, we're not trying to be mean here. But I do agree with the post that Weisseman made. ;)
The limit is basically set to stop large quantities of spamming, either be spambots, trolls, malicious members, or other individuals seeking to "contact" members with questionable, unknown, or suspicious content.