not-so-furry discussion > debate forum

Voter ID

(1/3) > >>

Old Rabbit:
Personally I think voter ID laws here in the U.S. A. are more about politicians wanting to limit
voting, though they claim it's all about voter fraud.. According to the media there is little evidence
of voter fraud.

It could be a coincidence that the disadvantaged are generally affected more than anyone else.
But I doubt it.

If they were really serious about containing voter fraud they would make voter ID cards free, and
make it easy for all registered voters to get them.

Loc:
For those of us not in the US, could you explain a bit about the laws and politics over there with regards to this topic?

Literate Lycan:
On election day, voters go to their designated polling place to vote. Your polling place is determined by where you live and is usually in a place such as a fire station, community hall, school, or some other accessible place. Each polling place has 3-4 election officers who oversee the operation for the entire day. When you arrive, you give your name to one of the election officers who finds your name on a list. You sign next to your name to indicate that you are voting. Then you are given a ballot, which you take to a booth and mark your choices. Once you're done, the ballot is inserted inside a paper sleeve so that no one can see who you voted for. The ballot is then inserted into a machine which records your vote.

That's how it works in my suburban precinct in California. It is not necessary to present any form of ID.

The problem is that voting laws vary from state to state or even county to county. Certain states want to require voters to present identification before voting, such as a driver's license. The problem is that not everyone who's a registered voter carries ID, so if you don't have it you would be prohibited from voting. These registered voters without ID may be poor seniors, people who do not drive, marginalized and impoverished citizens. Advocates of voter ID laws claim it's to prevent voter fraud, but in actuality that's a very minor problem. When I sign the official register at the voting place I'm legally affirming who I say I am. The problem with voter ID laws is that it prevents certain people who are entitled to vote from casting ballots, and these people tend to vote more Democratic than Republican.

I am highly suspicious of voter ID laws. I don't buy the "prevent voter fraud" argument because voter fraud is minimal. I see the laws as an underhanded effort to deprive eligible citizens of the right to vote simply because they lack an ID card, and to reduce the number of voters in one party (Democrat) in favor of the other (Republican).

Old Rabbit:
It's actually Photo ID that they are pushing for. We have had voter registration cards for a long time.

Loc, Literate Lycan explained it very well.  That's pretty much the same where I live in Missouri. But
my state is wanting to go with photo ID.. I also feel it's to make it harder for the poor or seniors to
vote. I am not pointing to any one party, but one gets the feeling it is to make it easier for those who
wish to cut benifits for the poor to get elected.

Chipper Blu-wolf:
Need photo ID in New York to vote on anything that has a ballot.  They ask for it to confirm you are who you are and that you live in the address they have registered on the sheet.  You can get a state ID card that is not a driver's license.  Price is anywhere from $8 to $19 depending on how long you want the ID active for.  I don't see the big deal about verifying who you are at election time and having to show ID.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version