Author Topic: Let's discuss music gear and instruments (and stuff)!  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Zenith

• Male
Let's discuss music gear and instruments (and stuff)!
« on: November 22, 2012, 06:05:14 am »
Hi everyone!  If you didn't know, I'm a guitar pedal freak X>  Here's most of my collection so far!:

Starting from the left top row:  Boss Digital Reverb RV-5, Strymon Timeline Delay, George Dennis Mono Volume Pedal, and a MXR Stereo Chorus pedal

Starting from bottom left:  Digitech Whammy 4 (I got this right after the 5 was announced :P), Radial Tonebone Trimode Distortion pedal, Keeley 4-Knob Compressor, and a Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah pedal

The entire setup is run though a SKB powered pedal board, those things are super convenient with their whole dedicated power supply and stuff X>  I run it all mono though since I only play through a small combo amp q.q

Here's my main axe, a lefty ESP KH-2.  It's pretty much everything I want in a guitar really haha.  I also custom ordered a modified KH-4 from ESP that should be finished sometime next year; I'll be sure to post pics of that too X>

This is my somewhat old lefty Gibson Les Paul Studio.  I almost never play it ever since I got my ESP   :P  I got a few more guitars in my collection, but it's nothing really special X>  

Feel free to post your own pics, discuss your own gear, or ask me about any of my stuff!  I'd love to see and talk about your gear as well!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 06:08:50 am by Zenith »

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
Re: Let's discuss music gear and instruments (and stuff)!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 08:47:24 am »
I don't use any pedals myself, I'm a straight into the head person.

BUT

A friend of mine was a pedal freak at one point. Not sure if he still is, but about a year and a half ago I was producing some of his material, and since we were on a shoestring budget we didn't have a DI box or bass amp (I was just getting into engineering properly and didnt even know what a DI box was, and couldnt figure out why the line in sounded so terrible), so we couldn't record an actual bass. But, he had a Digitech Whammy pedal (Not sure what model, I only just found out there was more than one), and we recorded an octave dropped guitar with that to use as bass. It worked pretty well. :p

My guitar setup overall though...my main guitar is a Jackson Soloist SL3, but I also have a Charvel Model 4A (which is nowhere near as nice to play). From there I run into a Bugera 6262 and Epiphone Valve Senior. Usually the Bugers will be running into a Marshall JCM900 1960A cab and the Epiphone into a Marshall 2x12, but if I can borrow an extra 4x12 off someone I'll stack the 2x12 on top of the 1960A with the Bugera, and run the Epiphone into the extra 4x12. (Yeah, it's all about looking good)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:04:20 am by McMajik »

Offline Zenith

• Male
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 04:09:36 pm »
I don't use any pedals myself, I'm a straight into the head person.

BUT

A friend of mine was a pedal freak at one point. Not sure if he still is, but about a year and a half ago I was producing some of his material, and since we were on a shoestring budget we didn't have a DI box or bass amp (I was just getting into engineering properly and didnt even know what a DI box was, and couldnt figure out why the line in sounded so terrible), so we couldn't record an actual bass. But, he had a Digitech Whammy pedal (Not sure what model, I only just found out there was more than one), and we recorded an octave dropped guitar with that to use as bass. It worked pretty well. :p

My guitar setup overall though...my main guitar is a Jackson Soloist SL3, but I also have a Charvel Model 4A (which is nowhere near as nice to play). From there I run into a Bugera 6262 and Epiphone Valve Senior. Usually the Bugers will be running into a Marshall JCM900 1960A cab and the Epiphone into a Marshall 2x12, but if I can borrow an extra 4x12 off someone I'll stack the 2x12 on top of the 1960A with the Bugera, and run the Epiphone into the extra 4x12. (Yeah, it's all about looking good)

Neat song there!  I'm not really that knowledgeable about recording myself tho X>

Yeah the Digitech Whammy is currently on its fifth iteration (not counting the bass and drop tune versions).  The 4 was actually made to emulate the 1st generation since the 1st is the most sought after.  I don't understand why they didn't just reissue the 1st generation :P

I really like your cabs and heads though.  I could never get away that that at my house though X>  I'd probably get the cops called on me haha.  
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 04:11:37 pm by Zenith »

Offline Choky

• Rare species
  • Male
    • http://choky.furtopia.org/
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 04:23:42 pm »
Hiya fellow pedal freak!!! (: Loving the inlays on your ESP by the way.

McMajik,didnt know you had a Jackson,nice axe.

Heres my list.

Guitars:
-Burns London Steer Cutaway.
-OLP McSwain Tin Top.
-Vintage(brand,not era) Resonator/Dobro.
-XP electroacoustic.

Bass:
Crappy H&S headless,need a decent one soon,this one is unplayable.

Pedals:
-EHX Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai.
-EHX H.O.G.
-EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker.
-EHX Electric Mistress.
-EHX Polyphase.
-EHX Double Muff.
-ProCo Turbo Rat.
-ProCo You Dirty Rat.
-Digitech Jamman Stereo.
-Digitech Grunge.
-Digitech EX-7.
-Digitech RP250.
-Boss CE-5
-Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter.
-Ebow Plus.

Amp:
-Sunn ST-15.

Drums:
-Yamaha DD-55c.

Mics:
-SCT800 valve condenser.
-Various dynamic Shures and Sennheisers,and non-brand stands and popfilters.

Software:
-Cubase Elements 6 running on Win7 64bit.

Also a photographer,so...

Dude,where my Furryness?
424 passed games on N64,PSX,DC,XB,PS2,GC & X360.(Last updated on 29/09/13)

Offline McMajik

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 08:20:38 pm »

I really like your cabs and heads though.  I could never get away that that at my house though X>  I'd probably get the cops called on me haha.  

Yeah, I should mention that's my with the band/live setup, in the house I just use the epiphone and 2x12. :p

CHOKY! That electric at the front. With the dial. I am jealous D:

Offline Zenith

• Male
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 10:00:58 pm »
Hiya fellow pedal freak!!! (: Loving the inlays on your ESP by the way.

Heres my list.

Guitars:
-Burns London Steer Cutaway.
-OLP McSwain Tin Top.
-Vintage(brand,not era) Resonator/Dobro.
-XP electroacoustic.

Pedals:
-EHX Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai.
-EHX H.O.G.
-EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker.
-EHX Electric Mistress.
-EHX Polyphase.
-EHX Double Muff.
-ProCo Turbo Rat.
-ProCo You Dirty Rat.
-Digitech Jamman Stereo.
-Digitech Grunge.
-Digitech EX-7.
-Digitech RP250.
-Boss CE-5
-Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter.
-Ebow Plus.

Thanks :>  The inlays are pretty much the only things that make the KH-2 different from the M-II.  The KH-2 is basically a M-II standard with an extra volume and tone control, a toggle switch instead of a slot switch, and a reverse head stock.  You basically pay extra for the skull inlays and Kirk's signature.

I see you're a EHX fan.  One of my first pedals was actually a Big Muff Pi with the tone wicker thingy.  I never really got back into EHX after that unfortunately.  I would consider the POG 2 or something like that, but the Eventide Pitchfactor looks really tempting too  :P

I also really really like that OLP McSwain Tin Top.  I haven't really seen guitar like that one before!

I really like your cabs and heads though.  I could never get away that that at my house though X>  I'd probably get the cops called on me haha. 

Yeah, I should mention that's my with the band/live setup, in the house I just use the epiphone and 2x12. :p

Aaah I see.  Yeah that makes a bit more sense haha X>  I'm not really in a band currently so I don't really have a reason to get a half or full stack like that.  Plus, I really love the distortion that comes out of my Tonebone Trimode already.  It runs a single 12AX7 tube so it gets really nice sound.  Also, when I have to play concerts and such, I end up mic-ing through a PA system so my combo amp is enough really. 

Offline Zenith

• Male
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:23:57 pm »
Hey guys!  I thought I should update with my new amp i just got in the mail today X>

The Carvin Legacy 3

I gotta say, I really love this amp.  If you'll ask for my opinion, I'd just echo what all the reviews online say X>  The distortion is super organic sounding.  The compression and note separation are also excellent!  What I don't agree with the reviews however, is that the amp is voiced really dark.  To me, it actually sounds a lot more bright than dark.  The presence knob turned to maybe halfway is more than enough brightness for me really.  It's most likely the EMGs in my guitar that causes that though.  The clean channel is super gorgeous.  I'll echo the online reviews when it comes to the clean channel.  It's very bell-like and sweet sounding, much like Fender amps.  Channel 2 (distortion) is awesome sounding.  Like I said before, the distortion is organic sounding and with the drive cranked, you can even get enough gain to get some metal-lish sounds.  But I gotta warn you; don't mistake this for a metal amp.  If you want more high octane stuff with a similar price, you'd be better off getting an EVH 5150 or something.  It's really meant to be a versatile amp, which brings me to the 3rd channel.  The third channel basically uses the same everything as the second channel with the exception of an additional gain switch.  It really makes your guitar sound massive, but I never really had a good reason to crank it that high X>  It's a very sweet amp!  I definitely recommend it if you're a guy who wants a large amount of sound options in a cheap and relatively small package (it's one of the smallest 100 watt heads I've ever seen!) then you should really check out this thing!

EDIT:  Alright I just realized I double posted, sorry about that! :<
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:25:58 pm by Zenith »

Offline Aakosir

• In Vino Veritas
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 02:02:50 pm »
Phew! I have nowhere near as much as you guys since I only have my little Squire with a pocket amp. I would love to have a B.C. Rich Beast one day though. I just love the design. My brother used to have two pedals, I believe, and played non stop. We were constantly hearing Stairway to Heaven. My boyfriend also plays, but not too much when we are together. He has a nice acoustic, the brand I cannot remember. My brother-in-law has a 12 string acoustic. It has the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. He doesn't have a picture on his FB though...
My FA

I come and I go

Offline Zenith

• Male
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 03:45:45 am »
Phew! I have nowhere near as much as you guys since I only have my little Squire with a pocket amp. I would love to have a B.C. Rich Beast one day though. I just love the design. My brother used to have two pedals, I believe, and played non stop. We were constantly hearing Stairway to Heaven. My boyfriend also plays, but not too much when we are together. He has a nice acoustic, the brand I cannot remember. My brother-in-law has a 12 string acoustic. It has the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. He doesn't have a picture on his FB though...

Well I gotta admit, B.C. Rich guitars look beast! X>  If you could ever find the brand of his acoustic, I'd love to know!  I never get the chance to see really nice acoustic guitars X> 

Offline Axelfox

• Species: Red fox
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 09:05:30 pm »
guitars:

Fender starcaster

Ibanez GIO GSA60(which goes out of tune when i try to do dive bombs on it with the whammy bar)

Lyon Flying V

Mic:

Shure SM57

Effect units:

Digitech Mainsqueeze compressor

Line 6 FBV Shortboard MKII

Amp: Line 6 Spider valve 112 MKI

Yamaha MG102C Mixer

Saving up:

A Ibanez RG with a Floyd rose

A set of studio monitors.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:10:32 pm by Axelfox »

Offline Leeseetsa

• La, la, la~
  • Female
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 11:35:48 pm »
Cello: Lysle Violin shop 4/4 size model

Recording device: Verison 4G LTE Smart Phone

That's is so far! (:
Hey, I have a DA:
http://leeseetsa.deviantart.com/

Never give up, everything you do has a reason; Never feel alone, there's always something there with you; Never feel defeated and dim, there's always a spark inside you

Offline Zenith

• Male
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 07:04:59 am »
guitars:

Fender starcaster

Ibanez GIO GSA60(which goes out of tune when i try to do dive bombs on it with the whammy bar)

Lyon Flying V

Mic:

Shure SM57

Effect units:

Digitech Mainsqueeze compressor

Line 6 FBV Shortboard MKII

Amp: Line 6 Spider valve 112 MKI

Yamaha MG102C Mixer

Saving up:

Nice!  A GIO is a great starters guitar!  And yeah, expect it to go out of tune when you play with the whammy; that's unfortunately the result of having a whammy in a starters guitar X<

Offline Choky

• Rare species
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 07:27:23 pm »
Zenith + McMajik thanks for the comments on the guitar in the pic,I love the OLP look too,but I prefer the way the Burns sounds except for the heavier stuff.

Saving up:

Any idea which monitors youre going for? Im between the Mackie MR5 five inchers or the Yamaha HS80M eight inchers,just cant decide if Im really gonna need that lower end or not since its basicly double the pricetag. I could actually go for the Adam A7X but I think its overkill on the pricetag and Id feel cheated even though the sound is top notch,also I just dont feel safe with ribbon tweeters,hehe,dont want to replace those things at those steep prices. So for me its the MR5s or the HM80Ms,just cant order them until Ive decided...any help?

---

Zenith congrats on the Legacy it looks killer! Bet it sounds it too!

Anyone have any experience with the Yamaha THR10C? Its a little 10w that Im thinking of getting to mic up and record in the early hours(or extreme late hours,depends how you look at it),something I can mic up and still have the room sound in the recording but without the sheer volume that is inappropriate for 4 or 5 o´clock in the morning recordings. Any opinions? So far every word Ive seen on it on internet is good stuff. Any words from someone whos tried one even at a music shop is greatly appreciated,they dont have one here locally so I cant :(
Dude,where my Furryness?

Offline Axelfox

• Species: Red fox
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 03:19:13 am »
I'm not sure what monitors myself.

Offline Choky

• Rare species
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 04:04:37 pm »
Anyone have any experience with the Yamaha THR10C? [blah blah blah]

Screw it I ordered one today anyway,should arrive next week sometime. (:

EDIT: 26/03/2013 Amp arrived today,love the little thing to death. Love. It. So. Much.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:32:38 pm by Choky »
Dude,where my Furryness?

Offline McMajik

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 02:40:22 pm »
Im between the Mackie MR5 five inchers or the Yamaha HS80M eight inchers,just cant decide if Im really gonna need that lower end or not since its basicly double the pricetag. I could actually go for the Adam A7X but I think its overkill on the pricetag and Id feel cheated even though the sound is top notch,also I just dont feel safe with ribbon tweeters,hehe,dont want to replace those things at those steep prices. So for me its the MR5s or the HM80Ms,just cant order them until Ive decided...any help?

We have a pair of HS80Ms down the studio, and I can't stand them. The general consensus seems to be that they're amazing monitors in a well treated room, but unless you're prepared to invest in room treatment, I can say from experience steer clear (although, I really can't stress enough how much you should invest in some room treatment ~anyway~, and the materials aren't that much at all if you're okay at DIY).

As far as I'm aware, pretty much everyone raves about the Adam A7Xs and they represent amazing value for money, far from overkill on the price when you're in that level of quality. I suspect a pair of those are actually going to be my next upgrade, but right now I use a pair of Behringer B3031a's (Also great for the price).

Another thing to consider is that as far as I'm aware, you likely won't get the bass extension unless you can put some space between yourself and the monitors. If they're going to be either side of your PC monitor on your desk, it probably won't make much of a difference in whether you get the bigger ones or small ones, where as if they are going to be set up properly at the other end of the room, that's where the bottom end extension will really be able to shine.

And, ribbon tweeters are beautiful. Seriously, I have never heard anything as detailed as a ribbon tweeter, and it would take a pretty special conventional tweeter to make me think ribbon tweeters aren't "worth the risk" (Quote marks because if you're managing to risk damaging your tweeters somehow, then seriously, what are you doing with your monitors? o.O)

Offline Choky

• Rare species
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 08:04:18 am »
That is strange caus the HS80M´s have been raved about in their current pricerange,mostly coming top place in nearly every shootout they are in(again,in their pricerange),and coming in at second or third place in the ones it didnt win(Mackies,Tannoys and KRKs mainly). Im not doubting you,Im just asking caus I want to buy my monitors sometime soon,so here goes: Do the HS80M´s suck that bad to your ears? Would you say its just in the studio youve heard them in due to bad room treatment there,or in general regardless of treatment? Keep in mind Im looking for one purpose only: Studio use. They dont have to sound "good"(not for movies or any other audiophile reason,I want no coloring of sound nor embellishing) they just have to translate really well to other systems when Im finally done with a track,sort of like the NS10´s purpose. I was really narrowing it down to the yammys now too,which is annoying,hehe. Please describe what was wrong with them for you if possible,which of the frequencies were colored or lacking? I have read some say they sound ever so slightly harsh,so that may be the mids/upper mids,then again wouldnt that encourage to mix a smoother balance overall?

The size of the room will vary but both have basstraps at the very least,I sometimes record in one room and move to the larger room to master just to give the sound an unfamiliar feel and different acoustics than the ones that my ears have grown accustomed to over the mixing period. Thats the reason I dont really want the ribbons,I mean if singing with too much air or pop can break a ribbon mic,and transporting a ribbon mic without the cover on it can ruin a ribbon mic,then imagine what would happen to my tweeters after I lug them from room to room just a couple of times,I need something built like a tank(not as far as gig-worthy,but careless heavy-handed tigerabbit worthy at least,hehe).

As far as the bass response goes Im pretty sure the 8 inchers are the way to go,I mean if nothing else its physically impossible for the 5 inchers to move as much air as an 8 incher without the cone area to do so. So when Im in the bassment(the larger of the rooms) I will hear the difference there if nothing else. Then again I dont want them too far away as these are still nearfields and I dont want to color anything by not using them as intended,again I dont want them to shine,I want them to translate well to other systems.

Anyway,Im sure youll agree that whatever I get in the end is a huge step up from having to mix/master on headphones and homesound/hifi speakers,which is always a mixed result process due to the nonlinear frequency range and undesired effect on the stereo imaging these methods have when hearing it on other systems afterwards,they do not translate well but will still be used as post-reference.
Dude,where my Furryness?

Offline McMajik

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 09:21:37 am »
Oh no, I think it's entirely due to lack of treatment, I should've emphasized that more. Room treatment is a basic necessity that all major studios will have, I'm willing to bet all the places doing shootouts with them will have it too. Yet for some reason we can't get the guy with the money in our studio to invest in ~at all~ (Well, not entirely true now since we're moving soon and me and the other engineer have forced this point in regards to the new premises). To me, they do suck that badly without room treatment, and from what I can gather that seems to be the experience of other people who also have them in untreated rooms. My point was if you're going to go for them, be prepared to invest in that as well (Although it sounds like I may have underestimated you in that department :p). I can't judge what they're like in a good room because I haven't heard them in a good room, I'd deffer to the reviews for that. :p

If you're going to be moving monitors back and forth between rooms, then yeah, maybe avoid ribbons. But if you decide to get a separate set for different rooms at any point, you should definitely look into them :o

And the distance thing - when I say "the other end of the room," I should mention I'm using my rather small room for reference and they're between 5 and 6 feet away, which I think is about how far away they'd be in a higher end control room, only without 5-6 feet being the other end of the room. I just meant don't have them parked 1/2 feet away, either side of your PC monitor, or the bass response in the listening position will drop off pretty quickly, pretty high.

And yeah, it'll definitely be an improvement either way. Headphones are not fun at all. :3

Offline Choky

• Rare species
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 11:23:57 pm »
Dude,I think Im just gonna go ahead and bite the bullet by ordering a pair of the Yammys tomorrow,if I cant get a decent translatable mix on them then I guess I´ll just send them back before the trial period expires and start from zero again by researching another brand. However it turns out in the end,I still appreciate all the input youve given,thanks McMajik ;)

EDIT: Ordered them,no turning back now (:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:57:41 am by Choky »
Dude,where my Furryness?

Offline McMajik

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 09:13:48 am »
Fair enough. You said the rooms have some treatment, I think you'll do okay. :p

Back on to the original topic, I didn't realize we were allowed to list recording equipment too, so

My personal equipment:

Allen and Heath Zed R16 mixing desk/firewire interface (New)
Zoom R16 multitrack recorder x2 (My old setup before the A&H)
An oldish laptop that just happens to have a Texas Instruments firewire chipset (Generally accepted to be the best possible chipset for audio interfaces), upgraded with an SSD for recording

Art Pro-MPA II

Behringer B3031a monitors

Behringer B2 pro x2
Behringer C1 x2 (But lets not talk about those...)
Shure sm57 x3 /sm58 x1 /pg58 x1
ADK A51 + SC1
AKG C1000s x2
AKG D112
Shinybox 46MXL
Michael Joly modded MXL 990 (New)

And down the studio we also have:

Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56

Yamaha HS80m monitors

At4033a x2
Shure SM58 x3 or 4
Samson 7 piece drum mic set (The overheads are C01s, not sure what the rest are off the top of my head)
Rode NT1a
And we also have a studio projects valve mic, I don't remember the model, but it doesnt work anyway. One of the connector pins snapped off and nobody's got it fixed yet

And, best of all...

A colour coded XLR snake!

I mean, really? I don't know whos idea it was to get a colour coded xlr snake, but having to constantly go back in to the control room to match colours up with channel numbers slows setting up down a lot. And that's when I take my desk down, with the inputs clearly visible. It's even worse with the Focusrite interface.

And yeah, I end up taking my own kit down quite a lot. :p

Offline Choky

• Rare species
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 07:57:57 pm »
Yamaha HS80m monitors

Yaaaaay...   :-[   ...sorry,couldnt resist :D

Congrats on the Allen & Heath interface by the way,nice addition.

a Texas Instruments firewire chipset (Generally accepted to be the best possible chipset for audio interfaces)
I initially wanted one for my Mastercontrol but it turned out the TI chipset just didnt flow well with it for some unknown reason,in the end I went with a VIA chipset with the legacy drivers which is weird since thats the chipset that normally is complained about. And the TI chipset I got was GUARANTEED to work with Alesis interfaces,obviously my money was refunded no questions asked.
Dude,where my Furryness?

Offline McMajik

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 09:22:40 pm »
Really? The TI chipset is the only one I haven't had some sort of problems with. I think your interface is a freak. :|

And the monitors are in the untreated studio I was complaining about, don't yay yet. :p

And yeah, the desk is beautiful. And amazing for workflow reasons alone :D

Offline Bane_enaK

• I live and die, proud of my people gaining
  • Male
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 09:46:04 am »
Hehe... All this talk of pedals, and I only have a wah pedal X3 I usually just plug my guitar (Ibanez RG series) into a Line 6 and go. When I'm playing bass I'll plug it into a meh Behringer practice amp, or the bass cab we use in my band and I'm good to go. Both my 4-string and 6-string basses are Schecter (Omen-4 and Stiletto Custom 6 respectively), but thinking of getting an ESP 5-string or something else pretty soon. Don't really use pedals much normally, but I use an overdrive pedal live to help bolster my sound a bit for solo stuff and bass riffs. For our second album, we have a song with a guitar harmony at the end, and I'm using both the overdrive pedal and a wah pedal to get a really cool Cliff sound  (:
Mated to Arashi_Calunata

Offline Zenith

• Male
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 06:04:43 pm »
Sorry if this is a necro X< 

Anyway I got a new custom shop ESP guitar a couple of days ago and I figured I could share it here X> 

Here it is: