community group sub-forums > foodie furs

Home made bread. From traditional to no knead refrigerator.

<< < (2/19) > >>

cause the rat:
Well we're right back to the refrigerator again. But with something new. I'm going to search around the net to see if there's info on this.  if it works this is my plan. Going to make four loaves this weekend. Try two more recipes. I'm also going to make a batch of my favorite bread. Take it all the way to the final in the pan rise. And freeze the loaves. Take em out of the pans, put em in plastic and store them till I run out of bread. Then see how they turn out. This would be totally awesome. They should take up to two hours to come to room temp. Could even take them out of the freezer and into the icebox so they'll warm up to cold the night before. I've got my hopes up. Now to hope reality lets me down.  :)

Varg the wanderer:
Can you post pictures? I love baking, and seeing the fruits of your labors would be great. Or you could bottle the smells and mail them, just skip the refrigerator bread smells
;)

cause the rat:
Totally awesome Varg! If I could bottle the smell of home made bread I'd make a fortune. Just the smell of the yeast in the dough as it's being kneaded is worth a bottle or two. Unfortunately I don't have an on line picture program. I do have photo bucket. But they've become a pay to play site. I can't see being charged for my pictures so I'm not playing along. Have no idea how to get pic. to this site.

Going to do a battle of the beliefs today. Make bread from an old Shaker and an old Amish recipe.

cause the rat:
Sorry about that I had to get back into the kitchen. I got the Shaker bread on it's first rise.

How to make Authentic European bread flour.

To get a flour that is close to what was actually available in both England and Europe you'll need to mix three parts unbleached all purpose with one part bread flour. I've also learned years ago that European flour is slightly moister than ours. So mixing in a bit of fat, butter or even better, vegetable shortening will bring it closer to their flour as well. If you ever do come across very old recipes and want the authentic look and taste this would be the way to go. The best bread flour is grown right here in America. Then shipped all over the world. All your newer bread recipes have adapted the use of this flour.

The difference in bread between all purpose and bread flour. You can make nice tasting loaves with all purpose flour. The only real difference would be in the structure of the baked bread itself. However I wouldn't try using all purpose when making bread not baked in a pan. Stand alone bread needs tension to hold it's shape. The higher gluten of bread flour, or the bread/all purpose mix will allow you to get that. Without good outer tension you may end up with a large flat loaf.

I've yet to make long or round loaves of bread so I can only go by what I've seen or read. Really want to try a few braided and some cool looking round ones. May even try more open or holy bread like the French Baguette.

It simply amazes me. Just how many different flavors of bread you can get with just four ingredients. Flour, yeast, salt and water.

cause the rat:
My first day thoughts on the two belief breads. The Shaker bread hand two rising times. Once in a bowel and once in the pans.  A very light crust. Nice internal crumb and nice but light flavor. The Amish bread had three rise times. Twice in the bowel and once in the pans. Not sure what happened but the third rise took twice as long to get to size. Then fell somewhat in the oven. The crust is darker and thick with a great flavor. This bread has a better yeasty flavor than the Shaker. Both breads however are two sweet for my taste. Neither bread had a proof time or 'starter' for the yeast. This would have greatly reduced the sugar available to flavor the baked loaf. The Shaker bread takes two tablespoons of sugar. The Amish uses 1/3 cup. That's a lot of sugar.

Bread is always better on the second day. This gives the flavors time to set up. So I'll do a comparison tomorrow as well.

I'm keeping one loaf of each bread out to eat. The second is in the freezer. I'll start on them sometime mid week. See how well they held up. Will have to wait till tomorrow to make and freeze the 'Egg Harbor Bread' dough. Kind of to late tonight to mess with a dough that takes six rising times. But man do I LOVE that bread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version