general furry discussion > the polling booth

Limits?

(1/2) > >>

Jade Sinapu:
After talking with a co worker,  he believes with enough thought or possibly even with divine intervention,  nothing is impossible,  and even limits of body are no obstacle.

I was of opinion that if body fails,  some things are impossible,  that we all have limits.

Thoughts?

Loc:
Secret option three: Sometimes.

It depends on what limit you are trying to overcome exactly. Some things can be overcome with willpower. Some things cannot. The important part is knowing where the lines are.

Jade Sinapu:
I should add "sometimes".

Yeah, my coworker had me confused, he was almost stating ALL things can be overcome, which I wasn't sure if that was his opinion/belief system, or he knew something I didn't or he was speaking metaphysically.

Varg the wanderer:

--- Quote from: Jade Sinapu on January 26, 2021, 01:36:43 pm ---ossibly even with divine intervention,  nothing is impossible

--- End quote ---

With God, nothing is impossible. Nothing.

Foxpup:
I'm with Loc. The body is a mere machine, and can be repaired, upgraded, or potentially even replaced through the efforts of a mind (or, more likely, the combined efforts of several minds) sufficiently dedicated to the task. That's how medical science works, after all, and it's possible to take the concept further.  Though this probably isn't quite what your co-worker had in mind. ;)

(Personally, I think a much more interesting question is whether the limits of the mind can be overcome by means of a suitable body. I think the AI box idea has it backwards. What if we're the superintelligence trapped in a box, and the box is our puny human brains?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version