furry arts discussion > furry storytelling

Idea: Fantasy futuristic magic furry zombie apocalypse. Sounds silly, might work

(1/3) > >>

Zugus: Bane of mailmen:
I've just sort of had this idea in my head for few days and might be able to do something with it.

The setting is a sort of fantasy world, if it had gone into the future and used magic to create a highly advanced civilization, one effectively powered by synthetic magic. All devices, weaponry, transportation, etc were/are powered by magic and the cities themselves are very crystalline in design and structure.

But a powerful wizard, who is naturally imbued with magic (which, as it is natural, is much more powerful), has accidentally cast a spell while spellcrafting which caused all of the anthro animals in this civilization to become hyper aggressive, feral, wild versions of what they are (Think if the anthro animals became non-anthro and then got super rabies without the disease or foam at the mouth). They're almost like zombie animals, but not undead, just wild, rabid, and irreversibly changed by magic.

The last self aware members of society must now live in the ruins of their formerly great civilization and fight to keep themselves fed on a daily basis in the face of large and dangerous hordes of their former friends, neighbors, leaders, and brothers. All of these feral animals will otherwise have most of their own normal traits that we would see in real life.

Don't know quite how to flesh things out or what main plot would be, but I feel like running with this.

Thoughts? Too ambitious? Too silly?

Old Rabbit:
Sounds like a good story to me.

A plot could be trying to regain control of their lives. Perhaps one or more hero
figures that could help rebild their world.  Of course he/she or they could have
several  minor pot lines during the process of rebuilding.  The wizard could be
used as a master bad guy perhaps creating humanoid bots to spy on the good
guys.

The book could end with regaining their world or not. How is up to you  of course.

Hope that's helpful to you.  :orbunny:

--- Quote from: Old Rabbit on July 23, 2017, 01:16:25 pm ---Sounds like a good story to me.

A plot could be trying to regain control of their lives. Perhaps one or more hero
figures that could help rebild their world.  Of course he/she or they could have
several  minor pot lines during the process of rebuilding.  The wizard could be
used as a master bad guy perhaps creating humanoid bots to spy on the good
guys.

The book could end with regaining their world or not. How is up to you  of course.

Hope that's helpful to you.  :orbunny:

--- End quote ---

A key that I don't know what to do with is whether or not this is to be a doomed world. One from which there is no return.

Either way, this is meant to be a fallen civilization. Something on the level of the ICE 9 apocalypse from Cat's Cradle, only that I'm not sure I want it to be so permanent yet.

The old civilization is a fallen utopia of sorts; a gleaming empire built on evil deeds and equally destroyed by the actions of this wizard; a gleaming crystal Rome since reclaimed by the elements and the beasts. I'm thinking though that he may not be intentionally evil, but repeatedly miscalculating the consequences of his actions to cause more harm, with his spell being one which was meant to remove negative emotions and the will to do evil from the subjects of the empire, only to remove their self awareness and to warp them into savage beasts. Almost like C-Consciousness from STALKER (If you've ever played or seen any of those games).

Perhaps the synthetic magic should also be steeped in blood. The wizards were rare and powerful in that they were the few people who could use magic without any need for machines. Consequently, they were also loathed and viewed with suspicion, expected to turn and wreak havoc upon the empire at any moment. I think of them almost as powerful as the Jedi, but not so obviously good or evil, just they they existed and were partially responsible for the Synthetic Magic revolution which built the world as it was before the story's wizard destroyed it. I'm wondering whether or not the wizards should be few in number as a result of mass harvesting for mana, or if they should have simply created a means to give others powers similar to theirs.

I'm thinking the Wizard should be an anthro rodent of some sort or a rabbit, perhaps a vole or mouse if a rodent. Something small which, in real life, would have a constant fear of being hunted, with a mixture of noble (or malicious) intent and insecurity having compelled him to begin his experiments in the first place to fix the world around him for his own safety and to make something which he perceives to be better. The wizard created the situation but he is not at all in control of it. At least, not to start with.

Whatever protagonists there are will have been ordinary citizens of this civilization who learned to survive in crystalline urban decay with rabid animals all around them. They won't be so black and white either and all of them will have had colored pasts for being willing subjects/servants of this dead empire. One among them will be idealistic enough to want to save the world while the rest may simply wish to survive. After all, there does need to be some impetus for them to actually come to the heart of the situation, otherwise they would just wander aimlessly until killed, which wouldn't make for much of a story.

Your feedback is appreciated Old Rabbit  :) I just might have a bit of difficulty converting thoughts to words.

Old Rabbit:
You have some good ideas with your story. Off hand I would think the way
you end it depends on the audience your writing to. Most people like to
see a story end with the so called happy ending. Others find the struggle
it's self enjoyable. So if everyone dies with the world ending it's ok.

Just need to remember people are looking for entertainment. The
main character desn't have to be a goodie two shoes, but needs
to have some atribute that people might like in them selves..

Sherlock Holmes wasn't a real nice guy, but people loved how he solved
mysteries, and that made the books popular.

Keep up the good work. :orbunny:

Trying to think of how the opening goes has been a bit difficult, so I think now I will want to start to develop each character as their scenes come along so to speak.

First, the Wizard (not sure if I don't want to refer to them as Mages, Magi, or Wizards yet):

As mentioned before, he is a paranoid type but one which also has some idea of what is noble. He is a utopian believer at heart, who wanted to make a better society at heart, but who is (or was) equally motivated by his paranoia and insecurity to take any action possible to preserve that which he held dear, his own life being high on that list.

By the time the story starts, he would have been experimenting for several years, at least half a decade, in order to create a subtle mind influencing spell which could be used en masse on people in order to slowly influence them away from negative and malicious thoughts. The result of this furious research though will be his near complete insanity, which should stand in stark contrast to entries in his research journal, which may be found by the protagonist later on, or narrated over in the opening.

Of course, this insanity leads him to create the spell which so horribly warps the citizens of the crystal empire in order to transform them into their rabid feral forms.

I don't know if I need to develop him further or not, as I don't know whether I want him to live just yet, but this idea is what I have tentatively.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version