not-so-furry discussion > news forum

Traced act signed into law. To fight against robocalls.

(1/2) > >>

cause the rat:
The good news is it's passed into law. The bad news is it's most likely not to work. Because most robocalls originate outside the US.

Rocket T. Coyote:
I get strange calls that hangup on the fourth ring quite a bit. Caller ID only shows name of a town, or (Name of State) Call. Others list the phone number twice.

Jade Sinapu:
 It does surprise me that with many phone calls being generated with voip,  that the origin of the voice can not be accurately determined.  Maybe this surprises me since I don't know all the details how it works?

With land line phones,  the signal comes from a well defined place and goes straight to the phone company, and then to another place, and I bet it is easy to trace.  Just a guess.

And with the out of country calls,  wouldn't it be easier to identify these, since after all,  the amount of overseas calls is probably a lot lower than calls within the USA?

So with that said,  this can't be a new issue,  tracing true origin of phone calls.  And I would bet some agency has at least partly solved it and made a magic thing/ program to do it.

Nice to have a bill signed into law,  but it won't matter unless someone publicly uses the magic trace tools.

But I wish they would do something.  I have had several scam robocalls.

cause the rat:
The one I keep getting here lately,
"Please do not hang up. We are calling about the status of your account."
So I hang up anyway.

Jade Sinapu:
I got the one asking me to send my personal contact info to the Chinese consulate in Chicago because I had a package waiting there for my pickup...  yeah... sure...I think I'll pass

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version