Poll

Should we return to selecting presidential nominees by the party leaders or primaries?

Primaries and delegates.
2 (66.7%)
Party leaders and delegates.
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Presidential nomanees picked by primaries or by party leaders..  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Many may feel party primaries are the democratic way to choose nominees for president, but there
isn't anything democratic about political parties. They are clubs, or groups who have certain beliefs
about how the country should be run.

Some may feel it's a good way to learn about people wanting to be president, but they are going
to speak to those in their party. To get their votes, not so much from others. Though I am sure they
would like anyone to help them win the primaries.

I personally think they should quit the primary way of choosing. In many cases it's more of a show
than serious buisness. They promise anything to get votes from their party base. The country as a
whole learns little about what the man or woman is for till after the convention. They decide their
platform then anyway.

So let the convention choose someone they like. The delegates are elected by local conventions
anyway, and they are selected by local area party leaders. Local primaries are only to weed out the
chaff to the benifit of the party involved. I think they should pay the costs to have their party
primary and not the tax payer.

It would save millions of dollars and perhaps give an independant a better chance to be heard. I
doubt if they change it, but I have heard some mention of it. So time will tell.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:39:44 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Subzerus

• Species: Anthro lizard
  • Male
Re: Presidential nomanees picked by primaries or by party leaders..
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 02:29:58 pm »
I have no idea about politics in America... Uh...I think the answer to this question is... Yes.
Profile picture by Javatan.
http://javatan.deviantart.com/

Offline Hashira

• Species: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • they/their, she/her
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 01:04:00 am »
Yeah, didn't George Washington warn us against creating political parties? I don't know how we should change our political system to have fair elections. Someone will always find a way to rig the system, so I think the best place to start is from the inside, but I agree that we need to change something about how we elect our politians. It will be nearly impossible, though, because the people that can change it are the people who benefit from the broken system we suffer with now. The more local and community driven idea you presented sounds better, though, is there anywhere we can read more about this idea?
Come find me! More to come!

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 08:03:40 pm »
You maybe on to something.

I fee the political mess we are in  inducing Trump shows  the primary system is broken. In part there were too many candidates on the Republican side.   Second doing away with the primary system solves the  issue the lack of representation of states that run primaries later in the year. The Libertarians  nominate  their candidate by convention, so there is  noting new to the idea.