Author Topic: Story and Poem of the Month Contest  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Epsy

Story and Poem of the Month Contest
« on: April 07, 2008, 04:27:50 pm »
I am proposing a story and poetry of the month contest, much like the artwork of the month contest. I used the artwork of the month contest rules as a temporary template.

Although the poetry and writing sections are separate, I think it would be more appropriate to include both, as that would make for more options to nominate. I guess it would have to be cross posted onto both categories though. Anyways, here are the rules.

Story and Poem of the Month contest

Rules.
1.  Nominating period runs till the end of the of the current month.

A. Stories and poems must be written by active members of Furtopia. Members who have not posted within the past 12 months are not considered active.
   B. Stories and poems must be appropriate to have been posted on Furtopia.

2. You can nominate your own if you like.

3. Only one nomination per member.

4. If more than one is nominated by a member, only the last one will be considered valid.

5. Please include a link to your nomination.

After the nomination period the staff will vote, and the winner
will be posted as soon as the vote is over.
__
I don't know how many stories and poetry is posted in the adult section, so I didn't include rules that partain to the adult section.

Of course, you can make any changes you see fit.

EDIT: Oh, and the stories can be just chapters, doesn't have to be the completed story.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 04:49:17 pm by Naomi Maru »
Avatar credit goes to Sheeta, thanks!
http://www.textswell.com/read,4206682163599 = Epsy fursona description

Offline Kada-Ru

• Species: Golden Blue Pegasus
  • Female
    • Kaycy's Creations for Fun
Re: Story and Poem of the Month Contest
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 04:14:58 pm »
I would suggest they be separate.  I would also suggest a synopsis of a story instead of a whole story as it would take less time to read for the over worked staff as it is.

Also, would you be interested in taking over those two spots?

Stories of the Month and Poetry of the Month.

Offline Epsy

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 04:38:22 pm »
I would suggest they be separate.  I would also suggest a synopsis of a story instead of a whole story as it would take less time to read for the over worked staff as it is.

Also, would you be interested in taking over those two spots?

Stories of the Month and Poetry of the Month.

I am interested by your idea of a synopsis, as I do understand it would take a long time to read over a whole story/chapter. But, I am not completely sure of what you mean. Like, the author would have to write a synopsis of the story, or the person who nominates the story would have to write a synopsis? And I think you would have to at least read a bit of the story as it was written in order for you to really make an accurate judgment.

Also, a synopsis, that would mean a story can only get nominated once, because a synopsis would be for the whole story, and I don't think enough new stories get started in the story section a month for that to work for a once a month thing. Plus, depending on how the story is going, it may have to reveal plot twists early in order for people to get the gist of where the story is going and exactly what it is, which would be not be good for an author. Unless you mean a synopsis for the chapter that was posted in that month. The reason why I thought they should be integrated was because there aren't that many stories in the story section, and because of that it could grow stale. But, if you add them together, there would be more options to pick from, and would make for a more interesting and diverse contest. And I don't mean that it would have two winners, there would still be only one. More like a "Writing of the Month Contest" I suppose. But, I do understand why you would want them to be separate, and either idea could work.

Or maybe, another idea, perhaps the writer could pick out a paragraph or two that they think best represents the chapter/story?

I understand that the staff doesn't have time to read all that much, I'm just trading ideas here, brainstorming and such.

And yes, I would most definitely be interested. I am assuming that if I get the position, I won't be a part of the voting process because I am not a staff member, but if I was I do have the time to read all the stories, and would be willing to.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 07:34:00 am by Naomi Maru »

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
    • http://www.whiteshepherd.furtopia.org
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:42:12 pm »
I like your idea Naomi.  We used to have a story/poetry of the month in the early days of the forums.  Problem is I could not keep judges.  They would trail off after a month or two saying they did not have enough time.  What we need is 2-3 dedicated judges of members who LIKE to read a LOT as there will be plenty of submissions.  That way if one judge drops out the others can poll the forums for a new judge.

Also would you like to help manage on this?
IRC quotes:

[05:01] <Kai_Misou> We cats sleep when we want and where we want.
[05:01] <WhiteShep> We dogs sleep WHEN we can. :/
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span =''><!--Quot

Offline Epsy

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 07:51:54 am »
I like your idea Naomi.  We used to have a story/poetry of the month in the early days of the forums.  Problem is I could not keep judges.  They would trail off after a month or two saying they did not have enough time.  What we need is 2-3 dedicated judges of members who LIKE to read a LOT as there will be plenty of submissions.  That way if one judge drops out the others can poll the forums for a new judge.

Also would you like to help manage on this?

Yes, I would love to help  :)

I also love to read. A lot.  (:

Offline Sskessa

• magically delicious
    • 14 Nights -- A webcomic
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 02:33:28 am »
Or maybe, another idea, perhaps the writer could pick out a paragraph or two that they think best represents the chapter/story?

This sounds like a good idea to me. It might even help us refine our writing skills, because, well...you know how us writers get sometimes. Too focused on details and nothing ever happens. :D

You'd be making a huge sacrifice, Naomi. Very brave of you to volunteer.
Someone Else's Problem: My adventures in China

I have never had a deep interest in revenge. Revenge is the concern of those who are at some point or other beaten.
-- The Tale of the Body Thief

Offline Epsy

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 03:58:08 pm »
Ah, I think it is a good idea too but I think the best choice is if you read the whole thing. Of course that is why we have to find judges willing to do it. I know I am willing to do it.

I am unsure of whats going on though...am I supposed to be finding judges?

And thanks for the compliment Sskessa.

Offline UberSkunk

• I hate Uberskunk, he's so...realistic!
  • Male
    • Uberskunk's Art Page
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 07:20:41 am »
I'm behind this, all the way.

~Skunk
People without ADD are gifted. People with it are average.

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 09:24:34 pm »
Alright Naomi I'm starting a vote to approve putting you in charge of the judging for stories, poetry, and music if you want it.  This vote is to make it official so expect 24-48 hrs for this to finish.  I'd say go ahead and solicit members who would like to support you in the judging.  From the past the key to success is finding help who enjoys/wants to read and getting the word out of the contest (there are many authors who really enjoy having their work read by judges but don't know where to post).

If you get a handle on those two points I think your judges well find themselves very popular and busy from writers!  Good luck! :)

WhiteShepherd
IRC quotes:

Offline Epsy

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 07:17:04 am »
Alright Naomi I'm starting a vote to approve putting you in charge of the judging for stories, poetry, and music if you want it.  This vote is to make it official so expect 24-48 hrs for this to finish.  I'd say go ahead and solicit members who would like to support you in the judging.  From the past the key to success is finding help who enjoys/wants to read and getting the word out of the contest (there are many authors who really enjoy having their work read by judges but don't know where to post).

If you get a handle on those two points I think your judges well find themselves very popular and busy from writers!  Good luck! :)

WhiteShepherd

Music too? Hmm, I wouldn't mind it normally but I only have dial up currently, and that makes it difficult to load music up through the internet. And depending on the format I may not be able to listen to it at all, my computer has a tendency to crash.

And, to be clear, is the whole story nominated or just the chapter that was posted in that month?

I'll do my best :D

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 11:39:13 pm »
Ok the votes are in.  We've agreed to make you the official head of the judging for stories and poetry.  Good luck and feel free to shoot any ideas or questions our way.

WhiteShepherd
IRC quotes: