Author Topic: Wearing a tail in public  (Read 155607 times)

Offline pocomouse

• Male
Re: Wearing a tail in public
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2008, 05:50:57 pm »
Glad it was fun for a minute!

"Too distracting"  is an excuse the schools give as a catch-all "stop being weird" rule.  I was given the same excuse for being punished after painting my friend green my senior year of high school (long story).   :D

It's cool that your classmates supported you on it.  I can't see mine having done the same.  It's amazing the difference a decade can make in people's attitudes.
After all is said and done,
More is said than done.                               

-Aesop

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Pick a number, any number
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity page
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2008, 06:29:09 pm »
Glad to hear all the support you got. And Poco's right about what the school said, it doesn't make much sense (especially on the last day of school. I mean, even with finals going on it's not that big a deal). Look at it this way, now you can wear it all summer and you know your friends will be all for it :)

Offline PinkPlushii

• Call me Kaci! :D
  • Female
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2008, 08:05:56 pm »
I can't see the people at my old school supporting it either. I go to a small private school for teens with mental health issues, so everyone is mostly pretty open-minded about things.

I could understand my ears being a distraction, because they are big since they're fennec fox ears, but the tail? It's not like it was a big lemur tail or anything...xD Oh well. I can now officially say I tried!

Poco, you painted your friend green? :O That's so awesome. How'd they handle that? Did they send him home or something to wash off? XD Since you can't just take off paint like you can a shirt or something!

Offline shakuhachi

• Male
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2008, 07:34:17 am »
Im majorly impressed. I would never have the courage to do something like that.  Plus my school was the lamest for stuff like that. My friend had a tiny spot on his hair that was green from halloween the night before, and they made him go home.

Offline pocomouse

• Male
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2008, 10:22:14 am »
Poco, you painted your friend green? :O That's so awesome. How'd they handle that? Did they send him home or something to wash off? XD Since you can't just take off paint like you can a shirt or something!

He actually got through one class without trouble.  The teacher was a young guy and just rolled his eyes when my friend came in.  His next teacher sent him to his dean, who sent him home.  It wasn't too big a deal since the day was almost over by then.

I took a LOT of theater classes in high school and painting him green was my 'project' for the makeup unit of a production class (really I just wanted to see what would happen).  If I'd only known about the fandom back then I could've used both the makeup and costume design units to learn how to do fursuits.   :P
After all is said and done,
More is said than done.                               

-Aesop

Offline Lunara_Lioness

• A Lioness who's also a Parrot.
  • Female
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2008, 01:41:15 pm »
I really love the idea of wearing my ears and tail in public (outside of Fur Gatherings and Cons), but I'm worried about it getting pulled by snot-nosed kids. x_x
Happily mated to my English Lion, Wardy. <3

Offline Kris

• My Furaffinity
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2008, 12:44:31 pm »
I really love the idea of wearing my ears and tail in public (outside of Fur Gatherings and Cons), but I'm worried about it getting pulled by snot-nosed kids. x_x

When I went to the Ft. Worth Zoo (on a saturday :o), I really didn't have a problem with kids.  I had a few come up and grab it, but most didn't yank at it.  (If you've never been to a big-city zoo on saturday, it's PACKED with anklebiters).  One resolution to your worries is to have belt-loop straps(that you actually string the belt through, not ones that attach to belt loops) on the end of the tail (like mine), and just wear a shirt that goes below your beltline so nobody sees the belt/top of your tail.  To vouch for the strength of the beltloop straps, my britches fell apart (belt loops falling off) and the tail was fine, so make sure you got good pants  :P
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:47:53 pm by Jake »
Cheetahfluffs

Offline Lunara_Lioness

• Female
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2008, 02:07:24 pm »
My tail has the belt loop piece on it, to string the belt through.. so that's good.  I won't be going to a zoo anytime soon..  :-[ Thanks for the help, Jake!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Male
    • My Furaffinity page
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2008, 02:45:21 pm »
Yeah, mine's got the belt loops as well (two, actually). Pretty sure they can handle a lot of stress, too (especially since the end of the tail got sent in a couple directions whenever I sat down).

Offline Kris

• My Furaffinity
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2008, 06:13:56 pm »
My tail has the belt loop piece on it, to string the belt through.. so that's good.  I won't be going to a zoo anytime soon..  :-[ Thanks for the help, Jake!

Wasn't zoo specific, just to keep it attached to your belt.  I wore through a pair of pants playing ddr, the tail's still fine lol
Cheetahfluffs

Offline Lunara_Lioness

• Female
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2008, 06:32:21 pm »

Wasn't zoo specific, just to keep it attached to your belt.  I wore through a pair of pants playing ddr, the tail's still fine lol
Oh, SNAP. :o Some serious steps on that game!

Offline Kris

• My Furaffinity
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2008, 08:30:58 pm »

Oh, SNAP. :o Some serious steps on that game!

My tail's got weight in the bottom of it too, it's like a wrecking ball on the harder DDR stages... took a kid out once because he got too close to the machine... just scared him, but hilarity ensued nonetheless  (:
Cheetahfluffs

Offline Kudos

• YAYYY for BEARS
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2008, 11:30:34 pm »
for starters i have showed absolutely no presense that i am into something like this. and course i wanna wear a tail (even if that means getting a wolf tail cause i'm a bear) it's for halloween haha

but has anyone here gotten any ugly stares or comments even on halloween 
and what are yer thoughts on me bringing in into my class ( college tech ) theres a decent number of older ppl where i go lol. 

( idk if this is the right place --tryies to cross fingers-- if not sorry )
bears eat the best, sleep the best, look the best ...oh and gives hugz the best

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Male
    • My Furaffinity page
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2008, 01:48:29 am »
Halloween, I would think, would be the one time of the year were you would get less cracks or whatever about it. At the very least people would just assume costume and pass it by (personally I think it's a good intro into wearing it more; just wear it the entire week of Halloween, then by next week people are used to it. That's my plan for this October, at least).

I don't see any problem with wearing it to class (though be sure it has a place to stay down behind the chair, and doesn't come up in anyone's face), though the instructor may play the 'too distracting' card and make you remove it.

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2008, 03:52:53 am »
lol... our school's dead strict on uniform... we have to wear a suit!!!!!!! plus it has to be black, with a plain shirt and either grey or black jumper with a conventional tie. no-where does it say that tail are aloud XDDDDD

but... tbh... nobody ever took me up on my uniform, and me and another dude had a game to see who could wear the worst uniform and get away with it. i wore a flowery shirt 90% of the time, and wooly hat 100% of the time (during winter) never wore my suit jacket, wore a bright green stripy jumper, a pair of blue skate shoes, and had dreadlocks XDDD... i didn't even win!!! XDDDDD
just your average self-effacing, herbivorous predator

Offline Kris

• My Furaffinity
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2008, 11:11:04 am »
but has anyone here gotten any ugly stares or comments even on halloween 
and what are yer thoughts on me bringing in into my class ( college tech ) theres a decent number of older ppl where i go lol. 

College works a wee bit different than High School.  99 times out of 100, the instructor aint gonna care what yer wearing, and, depending on where you're taking classes, you might get swallowed up in the class size if it's a larger campus.  Sure, people are going to notice it, some will ask you about it, and you will get jeers from people who think they're better than everyone else, but overall, it's just fun and different.

To be honest with you, I'd do my first tail outing with a friend, and at a public place.  If you want to wear it to school, gradually work up to that.
Cheetahfluffs

Offline Kudos

• YAYYY for BEARS
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2008, 03:59:30 pm »
well i don't have a furend, just a regular one lol.
i'll probably start wearing it a few days before around the house and such so i can "get my money worth" lol
then i'll joke it up and wear it outside, somebody in my house (most likely younger bro) is gonna dare me to, so i can just say that. i'll run into my friend (notice how i say that...i only got one of those :( )
and he's gonna find it to be stupid unless it looks cool then he'll deam it nesseccary cause thats the way i act lol. and he'll most likely dare me to do the same for a while so i could say that it was a dare and past a lie detector  :D

course those are theoretical, but 31st is for sure lol

and young bo, if that wasn't good enough to win then what the other guy wear...birthday suit    :o  :D

Offline Kaseiko

• Foxes Rock!!!
  • Female
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2008, 07:23:23 pm »
I think that Im going to wear my CATS tail to Coney Island today. I was wearing it around the house all day yesterday and I havent really taken it off. If I chicken out when I get to Coney Island then I will just leave it in the car.

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2008, 09:43:48 pm »
anyone play sports other than ddr in their tails? XDDD i was playing basketball recently and just wondered what it would be like playing it with a tail.
just your average self-effacing, herbivorous predator

Offline Kudos

• YAYYY for BEARS
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2008, 11:26:21 pm »
Thats a good and funny question there. :D that would be fun to do. Or how about playing football (both sports) the dynamics yer tail swishing through the air like that would be cool.  :D i think (:

Offline Duffman!

• No sense of time...
  • Male
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2008, 07:01:24 am »
If i wore a tail to town where i lived, I'd get stabbed, or at the very least, beaten :D

<--- I IS ARE HAVING DRAGON!!! :D

Knowing your head, is more valuable than knowing your enemy - Me!

Offline Pensive

• Female
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2008, 09:42:13 am »
haha. I went to the mall with my mate and my BFF yesterday, and we were all wearing our tails. Mine is a very large, curled, white tail (aussie shepherd :'D) and my mate and BFF both had curled husky tails. We attracted A LOT of attention...all entirely positive! ^.^ -tail wags- We had a few people ask where we got them, how they were made, etc. We also had a bunch of compliments. It was really awesome. My other tails never got that much attention. XD

Yay for positive responses.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Male
    • My Furaffinity page
« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2008, 09:57:27 am »
Sounds awesome :)

I'll wear it to Comic-Con (And if we go to the San Diego Zoo, there as well), which will be an experience. Not so much because of wandering around the convention with it (seems like something like that would blend right in there), but that I'll need to explain to my parents why I'm wearing it :P

Offline Kudos

• YAYYY for BEARS
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2008, 01:13:44 pm »
haha. I went to the mall with my mate and my BFF yesterday, and we were all wearing our tails. Mine is a very large, curled, white tail (aussie shepherd :'D) and my mate and BFF both had curled husky tails. We attracted A LOT of attention...all entirely positive! ^.^ -tail wags- We had a few people ask where we got them, how they were made, etc. We also had a bunch of compliments. It was really awesome. My other tails never got that much attention. XD

three cheers for positive response.
hip hip hurray hip hip hurray hip hip hurray  :D

oh
Pensive do you know of any good places where i could get one? :-[ Or where did you get yers?

Offline Pensive

• Female
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2008, 02:25:17 pm »

three cheers for positive response.
hip hip hurray hip hip hurray hip hip hurray  :D

oh
Pensive do you know of any good places where i could get one? :-[ Or where did you get yers?

I made my own. :3 They're really not that hard to make, even if you can't sew.
The tail I just finished, of my fursona, was carved out of foam from JoAnns and then had fur glued on it. Yay hot glue!

If you're looking to commission someone, though, feel free to shoot me a PM and I can recommend a few people.