Author Topic: Religious Beliefs/Affiliation?  (Read 22819 times)

Offline Mooshi

Re: Religious Beliefs/Affiliation?
« Reply #225 on: August 31, 2010, 08:23:11 pm »
You don't see the connection? The "prophet" Mohummad was a pedophile who had a 12 year old "wife" (well, waited till she was 12 to have sex with her) Muslims view Mohummad in the same light  as Christians view Jesus. (Only on a much more extremist scale that literally kills) Islam promotes pedophilia and the ruining of little girls lives. It's a part of the dark side of what religious beliefs can do - its sick to say a girl is ready to get married and bare children the moment she hits puberty.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #226 on: August 31, 2010, 08:34:52 pm »
If you want to debate pedophilia, then you'll have to do it in the Adult Discussion forum as a subject like that isn't allowed in the open forums.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #227 on: September 01, 2010, 06:01:48 pm »
Actually, I think the bigger issue with that is the fact that in the culture of that religion, women are essentially property. Even if the girl were older, she'd still not likely be given much if any choice in the matter. In their religion, they think it's disgusting how in places like the UK or the US we let our women dress how they want. Like it's somehow a bad thing to give people equal rights.

However... I think this is going outside the scope of this thread. Particularly without having someone claiming or defending that position.

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #228 on: September 01, 2010, 07:52:44 pm »
Well, religion serves a social purpose, despite the big tendrils of corruption and stuff that goes underground for some of them. The niche they fill is quite an important one that philosophers have pointed out. Even in psychology they've taught us that it is beneficial for some cases to have a strong belief system. However it has to be considered in each individual case.
I guess the "life purpose", "what happens when we die" and all those things would have a deeper impact on us if there wasn't some explanations, as little or much logical as their grounds may hold.
Again, if it's not hurting anyone, why bother them?
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #229 on: September 02, 2010, 03:29:30 pm »
I completely agree with this. The problem is that in many cases it IS causing harm.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #230 on: September 05, 2010, 03:25:21 pm »
The niche they fill is quite an important one that philosophers have pointed out. Even in psychology they've taught us that it is beneficial for some cases to have a strong belief system.
Well, it depends on what a strong belief system is. Does it have to even be a stereotypical relgion (if a religion at all?)
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #231 on: September 08, 2010, 11:03:14 pm »
I completely agree with this. The problem is that in many cases it IS causing harm.

I agree, and that's where I paint the line. If you want to sing like an unbridled and pray to the god of rubber and scratchy-smell cards, by all means, do it; but if in doing so you're sacrificing your neighbor's kid, then please cease at once.
Thing is, humans rarely know when to stop, and the more they gather into their acts, the stronger their belief in  that will be, and the harder it'll be to get them to stop.

The niche they fill is quite an important one that philosophers have pointed out. Even in psychology they've taught us that it is beneficial for some cases to have a strong belief system.
Well, it depends on what a strong belief system is. Does it have to even be a stereotypical relgion (if a religion at all?)

No, I don't think it has to be a religion at all. If you notice, I've been using the term "Belief System", and that's exactly my point. SOME religions have VERY strong foundations, and then there's the pink invisible unicorn (which ironically has about the same substance as some other mainstream religions).
Some people are agnostics and they do follow some rites and traditions, and that could be a strong belief system if it's justified with actual thought. It doesn't have to be a religion, I think. The issue is, most people can't do it on their own, and religions offer the "pre-made starter deck", so to speak.
The scary thing is that even on a strong basis of a religion fanatics will happen. Fundamentalists, blind-faith people and overall the "sheep herd" (not a reference to christianism at all) will believe something just because it's easy, comfortable, or something that's been given to them without any consideration.
Think of it this way: How many people actually choose their religion, not because their parents or their community taught it to them but because they made an actual conscious choice? I deduce a slim margin of the population.
Yes, religion helps people, but it also harms them.
As always, think! Critical thinking could solve A LOT of issues in the world.
Thank you and good night.
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.