Author Topic: Furry Secession  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Mooshi

Furry Secession
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:47:54 pm »
,,Lolfurries, Crush Yiff Destroy!, Burned Furs/Improved Anthro just to name a few. Whenever the mainstream fandom does something really wrong, you get these sub groups that distance themselves from the fandom. Usual reasons being drama related or perversion. Some groups are dissbanded while a few still exist. How do you feel about these groups that branch off? The why are furries hated thread is the insperation. Plus I'm naturally curious.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:51:39 pm by Mooshi »

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
Re: Furry Secession
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 12:55:59 am »
How do I feel about these groups?  Well, aside from the whole thing seeming a bit silly, I really don't give them much thought.

----
P.S. When I first read the title, I thought this was going to be about furries creating their own country.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 12:59:36 am by Vararam »

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 01:02:36 am »
Oh geeze Var..if that ever happened, the major/prime minister/whatever totally has to be a tuxedo cat.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 02:24:59 am »
Hmmm....my mate is a tuxedo cat. *ponders*

Anyway, back on topic. I don't care about them. I don't have a problem with someone that doesn't like the perverted parts of the fandom, but I will say I don't like the idea of someone trying to act all high and mighty about what someone else does in their own privacy.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Spirit

• Female
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:51:05 am »
... And I was just thinking about how Dib makes an adorable tuxedo cat. Country devoted to alien studies anybody?
Anyways, in some ways I would have to agree with them, I'm not interested in the adult kinds of things that happen in the fandom, and I don't like how that's the first thing most people think of us. However, cutting yourself off from a whole group of people you share traits with just because of a few people is a bit stupid in my opinion.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:10:57 am »
Staff note: Putting in a "pre-emptive" warning about two items. The groups you mentioned in your first post, Mooshi, are/were furs. And some of those groups were known for "unacceptable behaviors" in the past against other people and groups in the fandom. Therefor, I don't want to see this topic delve into the following:

3. Topics that are never allowed are sex with or between minors (human or anthro), hatred/slander against individuals or a group of people, and illegal activities or the encouragement thereof.

11. In regards to SA and/or any other troll/hate site, it should be said that discussing trolls only invites them. So the topic of Something Awful and/or other troll/hate sites is banned on these forums.

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 10:37:17 am »
I guess I don't think of these groups too often either. I get the feeling that 90 percent of furries don't even know about them or have never visited one of their sites... and newbies would probably never hear of them at all unless they were specifically told. They had their day in the sun, but now they're well past being relevant.

It strikes me that there's something totally backwards about these groups, too. I mean, I consider myself a furry, but I'm not particularly deep into the fandom; I just participate in the things I like, and I have the freedom to ignore the things I don't like. Groups like these, though, define themselves by their hatred for the furry fandom, so you have to be WAY more obsessed with the fandom itself in order to be part of them. It seems like they're the ones who are obsessed, but we're the ones who are having a lot more fun.

I mean, if they want to express opinions against the furry fandom, that's great, more power to them. I can respect freedom of speech. What I can't respect, though, is that they always end up being more about creating and milking drama than anything else.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 11:48:17 am »
Never really cared.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 11:55:53 am »
I love the short to the point comment there, Avan. :P

Offline CiceroKit

• I'll get back to you on that
  • Female
    • My FA page
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 01:55:08 pm »
I'm just happy that a person doesn't need to be furry to be a pervert. I don't always get where other furries are coming from, but perversion is something I can always relate to  ;)
Artist. Educator. Activist. Writer.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/cicerokit/
Cicero Kit on Second Life

Being a furry artist is a sideline; I am a public relations professional by trade as well as adjunct faculty at two technical colleges in Wisconsin. I also freelance as a graphic designer and journalist and have had an editorial comic series published. Anything you want to know? Ask.

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 06:15:15 pm »
I'm just happy that a person doesn't need to be furry to be a pervert. I don't always get where other furries are coming from, but perversion is something I can always relate to  ;)

The thing is, everyone is just as perverted as everyone else, but because furries are open about their feelings it's much more apparent in us.

Those groups are somewhat hypocritical, at least in my opinion, as are being intolerant to another section of the fandom, when one of our main aspects is our unconditional tolerance.
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 10:38:40 pm »
There is a difference between tolerating something different and tolerating something sick, disgusting or illegal. I personaly don't think we /have/ to tolerate everything. Race, gender and sexual orientation are all good things to tolerate. Other things such as being an adult and taking a crap on yourself in diapers or sexual animal abuse shouldn't have to be tolerated by anyone as they are both disgusting and the latter illegal. The one thing I don't like on either side is the over self righteous vibe. Many sub groups also have this nasty militant attitude about them that turns me off - even if the points are valid. Haha maybe I should start a drama free (or close enough) group that isn't all in your face with the anti yiff propaganda and one that doesnt tolerate blatant stupidity. ;) We shall be Furry Anonymouse! :D (play on words intended)   

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 11:12:32 pm »
I agree with Mooshi. Tolerance can be taken too far. Primarily, anything where someone is causing unnecessary harm to someone else (human or otherwise), it's most likely something that shouldn't be tolerated.  (However, I don't particularly agree with Mooshi's examples. The first, depending on how and where it's done, I don't see where it's necessarily harmful, even if it is something that I personally would find disguising. The second, I think the word "sexual" is completely unnecessary, and gets far too much attention in that kind of phrase.)  The point is, while tolerance is definitely a good thing, I wouldn't go so far as to use the phrase "unconditional tolerance".

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 11:22:06 pm »
I seem to have remembered this thread from long ago. There's some very good posts and points made by members in there. ;)
http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php/topic,36449.0.html

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 12:01:00 am »
Maybe not the best examples, but still. :P There are certain things that are too far out that that it shouldn't be tolerated for various reasons. As per the first example, it can get out of hand with the wrong person. Was reading this random lj entry by some furry and they wrote about how some (presumably) babyfur left a soiled diaper in the middle of a hallway at a hotel during a con. That is just eww. x_x

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 03:19:19 pm »
The problem isn't even entirely in the fandom; it's a problem that extends to the entire society
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 11:06:44 pm »
I'd vote for a tuxedo cat.
But heck, if it's a furry country I'd probably would be running, just for the heck of it!  :D

I think most internet groups tend to be a bit silly. (I'll refrain from the actual words going through my head)
Overall, the internet isn't recognized about being a place of though, introspection and knowledge generation, but rather a brain dumpster. Yes, some good things will come out, but overall it's just whatever people want to stash in there.
I take these sites with a grain of salt, and some humor, and just carry on with my business.
Heh, I even know certain furries who're also regulars at 4chan, and they're not particularly fond of us, now are they? X3
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.