Author Topic: Going Global  (Read 8677 times)

Offline Mooshi

Going Global
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:22:18 pm »
Throughout the globe there are many countries with many forms of regulations and laws. Some make sense and others are obviously political based. One of our own is currently residing in China and I didn't know it till now, but game consoles are illegal there. Which is ironic considering the top 3 are built there. We also have laws that were clearly written for the sole purpose of getting re-elected. I like to call these scare tactic laws. Such as those who make DRAWINGS on par with real life child abuse and wasting resources on cartoons while a real child is being murdered. If you're a car enthusiast, you probably dislike the import and emmission laws as much as I do. One make may be perfectly fine in let's say England or Japan, but will be "illegal" here not because of them being RHD, but because of people from California who took it upon themselves to shove their idea of environmentally friendly in our face. There are many other examples that could be brought up, but I think you get the point.

While a one world government is a tad on the extreme end, I think at the very least we should have more common international laws. I can't speak for Europe and the EU, but I can speak of North America. We have Mexico, United States and Canada. You would think being neighbors, we would have more in common, but we don't. I honestly wouldn't be against a common currency and the borders being more open. If it were done properly, of course. All 3 of these countries have great things to offer each other. I wanna see us united, not divided. Not just North America, but the rest of the world. Some of these ideals have no place in the 21st century. Communism, richer getter richer whiler poorer getting poorer, blind religious conflict between nations - all that needs to go.

To be able to leave your country and visit, even live there without fears of if X is legal or not elsewhere. An international outlet/electrical current wouldn't be a bad idea, either. Adpators are annoying. The cultures should still retain their identity - only the "core" be more standardized.

Good idea or bad?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 06:44:32 pm by Mooshi »

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
Re: Going Global
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 06:27:39 pm »
Any way you could rephrase your entire post in a way that makes it appear like you're actually interested in a discussion - rather than simply ranting against things you dislike and calling those who disagree with you stupid? If so, then I might respond.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 06:47:23 pm »
Any way you could rephrase your entire post in a way that makes it appear like you're actually interested in a discussion - rather than simply ranting against things you dislike and calling those who disagree with you stupid? If so, then I might respond.
Done and technically, that was a response. ;3

Offline Arbutus

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 06:55:29 pm »
Much better. Thanks. :)

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 08:49:21 pm »
Good idea or bad?

I think you may be going the wrong way.

If you want to end things like California having any right to tell you what kind of car parts you can buy,  support states rights and a minimalistic national government that exists mostly to protect us from foreign threats instead of governing our day to day activities.  It might also be a good idea to allow political offices like the presidency only one 6 year term instead of 2 four year terms.  That way they won't spent the whole first term campaigning for their second term instead of fixing things.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:52:27 pm by Alsek »

Offline Blastdav

• Arf! o.o
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 08:56:42 pm »
I'm going to address the point about the world being governed by one government.
In a perfect world sure, it would be great; however, the world is not perfect so I say, a world ruled by one government would never work... You just have look at the avarage street to see why.  There's far too much disagreement on the smallest levels which would throw off the larger levels from ever working.  Neighbours disagree, there are disagreements in families, in towns, the whole country also disagrees which is why votes are needed to elect some one to a position.  Even after that, there's always going to be people who are unhappy about how the vote turned out.  Think about the recent presidential elections, sure you got a final decision, but I bet there are quite a lot of people who still aren't happy with the outcome.  Trying to get global co-operation to work when there are all of these smaller problems stopping even the population in a country from getting along is just unthinkable.
Another problem that you're faced with is corruption.  Having positions of power on a global level, there's no way it will be void of some sort of corruption.

Another thing that I'll point out is that there are already bodies that govern certain issues in the world such as The World Bank, The World Trade Organisation, a world health organisation, the international monetary fund, etc.  At the moment this global economic governance isn't really working.  One reason for this is that only a few countries have control over these global institutes which means that the 'developed world' has more and more control of the world's resources.  I can't really go further into this myself because I've not looked that deep into it.

As much as I think that people won't be able to work together on a global level, I do believe that there's one thing that could make every one work together.  A bigger threat.  If you think about it, if a country is threatened by a bigger threat, every one basically works together in the country to hopefully over come said threat.  So on a bigger scale, if the Earth had a bigger threat, then I reckon most of the arguements would be put aside for a bit whilst this threat was dealt with.  In conclusion...  Bring on the aliens @_@
Ararar! ^_^
Blastdav on FA

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 09:02:07 pm »
I'm going to address the point about the world being governed by one government.
In a perfect world sure, it would be great; however, the world is not perfect so I say, a world ruled by one government would never work...

I know all about that sort of thing..Fear not, I've played Final Fantasies 7, 10, and 13  :D.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 09:27:49 pm »
,Damn, always has to be a crisis for us to stop bickering, huh? :D I know a one world government is extreme, tis why I mentioned the other things after. Before anything about the governing bodies are changed, why not take care of the odd ends? Here is what I mean - the majority of the world uses celcius as a form of temperature, would it kill Americans to adapt? :o I look at this almost in a Mac vs PC (the old PPC Macs!) one was a closed system and the other had standard parts where anyone can grab something off the shelf and upgrade. I'd love for the world to be that simple x_x so much confusion...the conversions, the laws where something is legal in one country and not the next, the political parties that resemble 5 year olds fighting over who is stronger between Superman and Goku and other things. Can't we blow up the people with an IQ below a certain number? -shifty eyes- Then we can rebuild with the mess taken care of. \o/  ,,

Offline Cimarron

• A Little Inappropriate
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 10:13:50 pm »
I would not support global government.... for the same reason I really dont like government in general... its too much about everybody, and Im all about myself!
Dont fursecute me yo!

Offline Blastdav

• Arf! o.o
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 10:43:52 pm »
,Damn, always has to be a crisis for us to stop bickering, huh?
Probably <_<

the majority of the world uses celcius as a form of temperature, would it kill Americans to adapt?

Probably because everyone is used to their own system and, more than likely, doesn't want to change.  I certainly wouldn't want to change to the Euro from the Pound (Any one who thought that the UK used the Euro needs to step up and smack themselves o.o )

I'd love for the world to be that simple
Your simple may be some one else's complicated unfortunately.  What if it was decided that we should all speak Chinese, would you be ok with learning that?  I wouldn't <_<

Can't we blow up the people with an IQ below a certain number? -shifty eyes- Then we can rebuild with the mess taken care of. \o/
No no no, what we need is a zombie invasion o.o
Ararar! ^_^
Blastdav on FA

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 11:30:24 pm »
Blast...I love you...xD If it makes you feel any better, I knew you lot used the British pound. :3 Just like I've known not all of Europe is in the EU or uses the Euro for that matter, like Sweden. Chinese? Nuuuuuu...we all would keep our identity, it's our core I want unified. Be way easier if passing from one country through another in the same fashion of crossing one US state to another. You still have local laws, but it's not like you get threatended to be booted out without a ton of paperwork.

Btw, I found this image. While not targeted at anyone, it sums up alot of people perfectly and is somewhat relevant. >________>

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 01:05:42 am »
So, let me see if I understand, you want a unified government, but you don't want said government to enact stupid oppressive laws. Not going to happen. In fact, a unified government would make it far easier for a world dictator to come to power. And that would be bad.

Oh, and good luck defeating the "connector conspiracy". It's gotten to the point where Duracell now makes batteries with USB ports due to a bizarre Chinese law that requires device manufacturers to use USB connectors as a power cable.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 01:07:23 am by Foxpup »

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 01:31:53 am »
And that would be bad.
Would it? Ok, well, since we're still dealing with humanity... yeah, it would be, but then again, when was it ever not?
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Foxpup

• Male
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 01:37:34 am »
And that would be bad.
Would it? Ok, well, since we're still dealing with humanity... yeah, it would be, but then again, when was it ever not?

Well, it wasn't. I mean it would be more bad.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 01:46:40 am »
Ugh...misunderstandings FTW! o.- I'm not talking about a one world government aka NWO conspiracies. I'm talking about it like this: take a mass of wires all jumbled together. This is how our world is. What I would love is alittle "cable management". You know, untangle those wires and straighten them out. Another way of looking at is is comparing a hippie from Woodstock complete with a beater VW van vs 007 and an Aston Martin. Class. 8)

Cultures will retain, well...their culture. It's the other things. Such as international healthcare. Meaning if someone was sick, they could go to any hospital in any country and wouldn't have to worry. A standardized form of measurement ect so that we can do away with certain restrictions on imports/exports like cars for example. Also somehow decide between LHD and RHD as the global standard so you can move about whichever country and will not be spazzing over learning new road laws per country. Stuff that seems common sense to me. There really is no legit reason why we have so many different standards when there needn't be. THEN we can worry about re-tooling the government. Things like communism are obviously horrible and should be done away with.

Of course none of this would happen because billions of people on this planet are either violent, control freaks, idiots or a good combo of the 3.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 01:49:10 am by Mooshi »

Offline Foxpup

• Male
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 01:51:39 am »
So, you want all the different governments of the world to have the same laws? That's even less likely to work.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 02:23:55 am »
-eyes Foxpup with a rolled up newspaper- No! >:C

Let's take a look at the USA for a moment. We have federal laws which affect all 50 states and we also have laws done at the state level that varies between states. If a federal law conflicts with a state law, it overrides it. Apply a federal law system on an international level that actually makes sense. I know the word law sounds dirty, but I'm tired and can't think of a better way of wording it right now. International common sense for the common good, there we go.

Offline Foxpup

• Male
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 02:46:37 am »
You mean like the UN, except countries actually do what it says? *dodges newspaper*

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 02:49:40 am »
Oh, you. Yes..sorta..maybe...perhaps? Sure, we'll go with that. :D

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 03:24:55 am »
I think Blast made a lot of great points in his first post in the thread and here's my take on a few more. You have local laws which deal with the immediate area and work well customized to the populace. Then you have broader county laws over a wider populace that are more complicated to make it work. Then you have the state level where laws and regulations are even more broad to cover several geographical and cultural regions. At the federal level you have some of the most complex laws that no one can keep up with because they have to try covering every little niche that could be affected in a certain way. See where I'm going with this? You want more simplicity, but over all, the larger the government, the more convoluted.

Sure, some standards need to be had, but thats what groups like UL, ANSI, ISO, etc are for. I'm not sure if any of those are funded by the government, but they're purpose isn't political. That's where standards belong, not in some government regulation/law where it can be influenced by people trying to get an edge.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 04:06:14 am »
The only logical solution is an illogical one, get rid of the government. oo Wild West 2.0! Ok, not that extreme, but we seriously need some solution. I fear that a thousand years from now, we'll be in the exact same spot. For some reason I keep asking myself "shouldn't the world be better than this by now?"

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 08:26:09 am »
A one world government sounds nice in theory. But making it actually happen is a whole lot tougher.  :P It just ain't going to happen.............except for the Federation/Starfleet in Star Trek.  :D

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 12:25:51 pm »
I remember us talking about this x3 LAST NIGHT! I told ya I'd read it.
As I told your butt before, I think we're just not ready to have something like this. People would be unwilling to be part of one only government and will have lots of arguments on what policies to have.
Also, think about small places trying to be their own countries, like Quebec or Texas or South Korea.... I mean, people don't want to be ONE thing, they want to be their own individual thing and be selfish and whatnot.
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 03:08:26 pm »
But South Korea is already reconized....it's the good Korea! :D What's wrong with individual freedoms and a working government? If my ideals were put into place, Kim would be booted as head of N.Korea and the two would be united once more. This would greatly liberate the N.Koreans by granting them more freedom and this would also mean someone from S.Korea could travel to N.Korea without fear of being shot.

Offline Arbutus

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 11:23:27 pm »
I think some small-scale standardization would make sense. I would love to not have to bring adapters when I travel abroad, and I would much rather have the US convert to the metric system than continue to be out of step with the rest of the world. If we could find a low-cost and technically feasible way to phase in a world standard in these areas, I'd be in favor.

Beyond that, no way. I tend to be pretty negative about the idea of international government (especially our current weak excuse for a United Nations), because I see few ways for it to be effective without violating state sovereignty. I'm with Alsek on this one... if anything, I think the path to more effective government lies through greater decentralization, through giving smaller jurisdictions more rights to govern themselves and choose what is done within their boundaries. Smaller jurisdictions can almost always manage themselves more effectively than larger ones (assuming, of course, you have a suitably-sized talent pool). Even in my own city, I see so many stupid inefficiencies and logjams in our city government, and I really think it would be better to delegate authority and funding to individual neighborhood groups who actually know how the money would be best spent.

I'd even go so far as to say that parts of the US Constitution would be better dealt with on a state or local level. Like the Second Amendment, for instance. It makes no sense to me that a hunter in Idaho and a drug dealer in New York should be bound by the same regulations (or lack thereof) concerning gun possession.