Author Topic: "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Repeal Blocked  (Read 2228 times)

Offline animagusurreal

• Finishing the Hat
  • Male
    • VividGroovy.com
"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Repeal Blocked
« on: December 10, 2010, 06:49:53 am »
Now that Senate Republicans have blocked a defense bill that included a repeal of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy, gay rights advocates may have lost their last, best chance to end the 17-year-old ban anytime soon...Gay rights advocates vow to fight on to repeal the law that has led to the expulsion of more than 14,000 service members and keeps many more still serving in the closet.
(Bold mine)

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/after-senate-vote-whats-next-for-dont-ask-dont-tell/19753629?ncid=webmail

I'm in unusual territory posting on a "hot button" issue. I am almost totally apolitical. I'm not particularly enamored of politicians on either side of the aisle. I don't form strong opinions about what laws should be passed or policies adopted. HOWEVER - the only time I do muster some feelings is when it's a matter of equal rights, such as (IMHO) it is with this issue. There is no reason that gays should not be allowed to serve openly in the military, other than that some people might have a problem with it, just as some people had a problem with integration and women serving in the military in the past. I'm no expert, but I'm assuming people are not required to hide their personal religious, political, and other potentially contraversial beleifs in order to keep their jobs in the military, so why should they have to hide their sexual orientation? Other people will not be "forced to accept it" (as one AOL commenter puts it). Nobody will reach into their brains and force them to change their minds. Gays simply will not be fired for it. I am neither gay (I'm basically asexual - yeah, asexual and apolitical) nor do I plan on entering the military, but again, this is a matter of equal rights :). So what do you all think?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:53:09 am by animagusurreal »

DA         FA

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Repeal Blocked
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 07:26:22 am »
Closed. We already have a thread about DADT which can be continued here.
http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php/topic,40372.0.html