Author Topic: I'm heading off...  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Itico

• Aging/Disabled/library advocate, writer, scientist
  • Male
I'm heading off...
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:19:29 am »
Good morning furries,

In reality, it is two days before my 39th birthday and I have been thinking about myself, my future and furries.  I have been hanging around furries for roughly 14 years, I've met some great people and I've met some real idiots and that is to be expected.  I believe that I have been a pretty good friend to those who were friends with me and I pretty much ignored those who did not show me a minimum of respect.  Overall, I think that I have been pretty lucky.

Truth is though, I have never really felt comfortable calling myself a furry.  Sure, I like the art and I like some of the people, but there is so much else in the fandom that I have no interest in.  I'm not about to say that anything is good or bad, it's just not for me.  Take forums, for instance.  I've been a member of a lot of forums, and I just can never really get into them.  I go in spurts now and then, then I forget about them and they go to the back of the shelf to be picked up years later.  I know that forums can be helpful for some times and I have even found them helpful at times, again I am not suggesting that forums or the use of them is somehow bad.  Truth of the matter is that I'm blind and I don't like to sit there reading off the computer screen because it is so slow for me.  Yes, I have a talking computer now and that is even slower still.

Anyway, there comes a time in everyone's life where they must evaluate and cut out the stuff that is no longer important in their lives and as you might have guessed, that happens to be furry for me.  I have returned to school to get a new degree in Political Science with emphasis on public education.  This means that not only am I considerably busier then I have been in several years, it means that I have to focus on the groups that stand me the best chance at advancing my personal, political and career goals.  I don't see furries becoming a force that would help anyone advance any of those three any time soon.

On the other hand, if furries would like to band together, consolidate a platform and create something like the Furry American Party, that could be very interesting.  If not that, I at least encourage people to participate in the system.  The less people care about the government that runs their country, the less that government has to care about you.

I know I haven't been around much anyway, but consider this an official farewell.  Be good to each other because there is no garauntee that anyone else will be good to you.

Peace.
"Amicus Plato, amicus Aristoteles, sed magis amica veritas." --Sir Isaac Newton

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: I'm heading off...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 07:06:32 pm »
Topic moved to the Greetings forum since this forum also serves as a place to say Goodbyes too.

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:27:10 pm »
Best of luck with your future plans!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 12:12:40 pm »
Good luck and best wishes for a good life..
oldrabbit.com

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 10:18:34 pm »
Take care, Itico..
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Itico

• Male
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 09:19:54 am »
I reread my post from 2010 and decided to share an update.

I graduated from the schooling I mentioned in 2010 with my second Bachelors degree which was in Political Science/Public Administration, not public education like I appear to have typed before. I worked with several elected officials on a volunteer basis advising on technology related issues including Net Neutrality and Cyberbullying. I helped several individuals decide if they should run for political office and helped one get elected to the county Board of Supervisors where he is now chair.

Soon after, I enrolled in graduate school at the same university and while studying for a Masters in Communication I taught three years for the Fundamentals of Oral Communication course. Soon after finishing the graduate coursework I took over a local non-profit which had been run into the ground by the previous Executive Director. I worked hard to get the organization recovered and made good progress until new members of the Board of Directors decided to micromanage and harass me. Soon after I left, they ran the organization so well that it is now being carved up into smaller pieces and parts being given to neighboring organizations. So dies literacy in middle-America.

Myself, I am now on two Boards of Directors, one for the local library and the other for a four-county Aging and Disability Resource Center. Both organizations are doing wonderful things and breaking new ground. Our library was nominated for a national library award, and we made it to the Finalist round but did not win the prize. The ADRC, however, is 'the one to watch' in our state.

I am recognized by many at our state capital and they miss me  when I don't go with others from the ADRC.

If anyone remembers my partner Cicero, she is now on Disability due to MS. She still writes, draws and is working on a board game design and a book. It has been rough though.

I worked with a local technical college to convert an i-person Linux cours into a completely online class and am awaiting assignment to teach it. In the meantime, I designed a Raspberry Pi class which I am scheduled o tach at the end of October and one in early September.

So, there you go. Nine years in a hazelnut.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 10:38:27 pm »
You achieved a lot of good in those 9 years!
And that Raspberry Pi class will help many more.  Thank you.

So... any furry-ness left in you after all that time?  ;)
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Itico

• Male
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 04:14:29 pm »
Furriness?

I still have a few online friends who I talk with. On the other side of the screen I live in an area where he furry population is low and one of the furs who lives near me is a nice guy but aside from liking video games we have really nothing much in common. That's okay. I'm not really all that physically social because most of my jobs have required me to be social. When I go home, go away! :)

I'm not a big collector of anything, so have never commissioned any art. I now live with an artist so she'd be like, 'Why are you giving money to someone else?' Hahahah

I haven't been to a con in years but I go to conventions for work sometimes so, eh!

Fur suit? Forget about it. I don't have the money to rig the cooling system.

So, here, there, everywhere else.

Offline Samurai Kai

• Species: Snow Leopard
  • Hero of Hisakawa
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 11:33:05 pm »
I wish you well! *salute*
If you feel like you don’t belong in this world, it is because you are here to help create a new one.