Author Topic: The anime of Hayao Miyazaki  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
The anime of Hayao Miyazaki
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:29:51 pm »
So who else here is a fan of the animated works from Hayao Miyazaki? Films such as:
* Princess Mononoke
* Spirited Away
* Howl's Moving Castle
......and others.

What do you enjoy or not enjoy about the films?

I have the first two films and enjoyed them both, but only was able to borrow the last one from a friend to watch. Howl's was good, but for some reason, I've just never been interested in buying it.

Offline Cosantoir

• Male
Re: The anime of Hayao Miyazaki
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:45:51 pm »
Love it all.  But don't forget My Neighbor Totoro.   :)   One of my favorite movies ever, hands down.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 10:50:27 pm »
I've seen Howl's Moving Castle (Calcifer!) and Totoro, both in the last couple of years actually. Absolutely loved both of them.

I think I've seen bits and parts of Spirited Away as well. I need to borrow it from my friend and watch the whole thing some time.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 11:32:10 pm »
I can't tell you how much I love Miyazaki's films!  :D
Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are my favorites...the art is detailed in all of his films, but in these it was absolutely gorgeous.  The stories were as detailed as the artwork. 
I've seen Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, but it was a long time ago when Toonami ran that 'Month of Miyazaki' special on Cartoon Network.  I've got to see it again. 
I loved Castle in the Sky, not so much the whole movie, but the intricate steampunk setting it was in.
Howl's Moving Castle had kind of the same vibe as Castle in the Sky, but it was entertaining in its own way. 
My Neighbor Totoro was more funny than anything else; the father was so mean to his little children  :D
I've seen Ponyo, and I have to say that I didn't like it as a movie.  It ended too quickly, and the plot was kind of thin...  Ah well.  *shrugs*

But overall, it makes me wish traditional animation was still used popularly as a medium (particularly outside of Japan...)

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 08:56:34 pm »
I have probably seen Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited away 10 times each, at least. I LOVE Miyazaki. He's one of my favorite directors of all time.

Mylo: the Nausicaa manga was much better than the film. Read it if you can ;).

Offline Mylo

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:39:57 pm »
Mylo: the Nausicaa manga was much better than the film. Read it if you can ;).

I'll have to find the time...I've heard it from several people and I've seen it in the library, but for some reason, I haven't gotten around to it  x_x

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:41:27 am »
I looooved Howl's moving castle, pity I only borrowed the DVD off a friend though, I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 11:00:50 am »
I've seen a few of them but not as many as I'd like and not nearly as many times as I'd like. I love the animation style and the voice work is always top notch. :)
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 12:58:11 pm »
Nausicaa is and always will be my absolute favorite anime/manga piece ever. Back when I was an RPGA member and ran RPG tourneys for TSR at gamer conventions, Nausicaa was a re-occuring character that made it into every game I ran.

Offline PupLilith17

• "Merry Christmas!"
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 04:08:49 pm »
i happen to love miyazaki's films!!
im actually been looking to find a few of his films
i couldnt get my hands on >.>
---------------------------------------http://brialilith.deviantart.com/

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 05:11:44 pm »
I have all the movies, I just love them. I love the art, music and the raw creativity. If I had to pick a favorite I suppose it would be Porco Rosso.

Offline Grizztof Grünwald

• Yay!
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 05:43:46 am »
Princess Mononoke is my favorite by a mile. The music is a big factor. The giant wolves didn't hurt either.

I've seen Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and Castle in the Sky. I like them, but they're no Mononoke Hime.
Twitter: @grizztof
FA user: grizztof
Youtube channel: grizztof

Offline Mylo

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 08:18:49 pm »
Princess Mononoke is my favorite by a mile. The music is a big factor. The giant wolves didn't hurt either.

I've seen Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and Castle in the Sky. I like them, but they're no Mononoke Hime.

I thought Spirited Away was as good as Mononoke :)

Offline Kostya89

• Male
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 03:21:35 pm »
My boyfriend got me into anime and he wouldn't stop ranting about Princess Mononoke and pretty much all of Hayao Miyazaki's films. So far I've seen and LOVED Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, and I believe Ponyo. Sadly those are the only films by Miyazaki I have seen so far, but I have been dying to see Spirited Away for so long!!! I might just have to go out and rent it for the weekend now that I'm thinking about it ^.^
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:23:13 pm by Kostya89 »
"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time"