Poll

How many of you can see the image after...

Viewing the test page for the first time
Clicking the first link, then going back to the test page
Clicking the second link, then going back to the test page

Author Topic: FurAffinity Test  (Read 5714 times)

Offline Mylo

FurAffinity Test
« on: September 03, 2012, 06:05:55 pm »

^^There should be an image above...

If not, go to this page, then refresh this test page.

If not, go to this other page, then refresh this test page.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:01:09 pm by Mylo »

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
Re: FurAffinity Test
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:10:49 pm »
FA is a little stubborn about not letting pictures be hotlinked.  Embedding doesn't work.  Linking doesn't work.  It *does* work if the user at the other end copies the URL directly into their URL bar; after that, the image will be cached in their browser, and the image will appear for embeds and links that didn't previously work (this is also why it probably works for you, even though it doesn't work for anybody else).

To see what I mean, open up another browser and look at this thread either while logged in or as a guest.

(*edit*)  Viewing the first page beforehand allows the embed to work.  The same is not true of the second link; being linked directly to the page leads to a 403 (Forbidden) error, whereas directly entering the URL works as expected (as does viewing the second link after the first).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 06:15:01 pm by redyoshi49q »
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Mylo

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 06:15:02 pm »
FA is a little stubborn about not letting pictures be hotlinked.  Embedding doesn't work.  Linking doesn't work.  It *does* work if the user at the other end copies the URL directly into their URL bar; after that, the image will be cached in their browser, and the image will appear for embeds and links that didn't previously work (this is also why it probably works for you, even though it doesn't work for anybody else).

To see what I mean, open up another browser and look at this thread either while logged in or as a guest.

Yeah, that's what I thought.  I'm going to avoid using FA to embed images to the forums because of this issue.  Embedding directly from FA with https has already caused some problems with me and others viewing embedded images. 

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 06:19:07 pm »
FA is stubborn as hell when it comes to trying to post links to images.  :goldpissed:

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 03:35:39 am »
The image shows up for me, but I'm probably a bad example. The problem is that facdn.net will give a 403 if the HTTP Referer is either not present or is not furaffinity.net. Oddly enough, the Referer is not supposed to be present when the referring site was accessed through HTTPS (otherwise your privacy would be compromised), which means that you shouldn't be able to view any images from within FurAffinity if you're using HTTPS and your browser thinks your privacy is important when using HTTPS. The scary part is that only myself and a couple of other people actually noticed when FA started doing this (everyone else apparently uses browsers which don't respect their privacy).

Anyway, until FA fixes their site, I've been forced to configure my browser to send a forged HTTP Referer for all facdn.net requests, which has the side effect that images hotlinked from FA actually display normally. Oh well.

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 07:21:38 am »
Mylo, the URL that you are using with the "@" symbol in it is for the preview on FA, and those will never properly link to anything not on their servers.

If you want the image to load, go to the page of the picture you want on FA, click download, and use that URL, the one for the full size image.
You can also click full view, and then right click on the picture and click "copy image location" and get the same URL that way was as well.

If you use the URL for the full (true image), then everything should work.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:28:21 am by Storm Fox »
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Mylo

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:16:09 pm »
You can also click full view, and then right click on the picture and click "copy image location" and get the same URL that way was as well.

That seems to have worked.  Thanks Storm Fox.  :)

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 03:40:24 am »
That seems to have worked.  Thanks Storm Fox.  :)

You're welcome.
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 12:27:26 pm »
I'm trying to discover the names of their banner characters. The hybrid anthro and the hybrid dragoness.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Mylo

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 02:40:40 pm »
I'm trying to discover the names of their banner characters. The hybrid anthro and the hybrid dragoness.

Fender and Rednef ;)