Author Topic: How do I be a brony?  (Read 2485 times)

Offline dragonfire

• Narhethi The Dragon
  • Male
How do I be a brony?
« on: March 29, 2012, 02:19:48 am »
ok, so i recently started watching MLP:FiM and I liked it. My friend told me that I should be a brony, and he got me thinking, should I? Im very pro-violence, will that stand in the way of becoming a brony? is there any rules to being a brony? and what is it like being a brony?
Knowledge source for all dragons.

Offline Vukasin

• Male
Re: How do I be a brony?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 02:33:22 am »
There's not really any rules for being a brony.

I guess the "love and tolerate" thing is sort of a guideline some of us try to follow though.

Offline dragonfire

• Narhethi The Dragon
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:36:56 am »

I guess the "love and tolerate" thing is sort of a guideline some of us try to follow though.

can i still be a brony even though im very pro-violence though?

Offline dragonfire

• Narhethi The Dragon
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 03:49:11 am »
ok, so i recently started watching MLP:FiM and I liked it. My friend told me that I should be a brony, and he got me thinking, should I? Im very pro-violence, will that stand in the way of becoming a brony? is there any rules to being a brony? and what is it like being a brony?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. along with my other questions, is there anything wrong with me watching MLP? I mean, i like it, but I get the feeling that im not supposed to like it/

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 05:46:04 am »
There's nothing wrong with liking anything that doesn't harm you or others, and what other people think of your interests doesn't matter in the long run anyway. On the other hoof, like Vukasin said, the mantra of "love and tolerate" is pretty much the golden rule of being a Brony but it's also simply being a fan of the MLP:FiM series and of its values. So on its face, being pro-violence wouldn't be part of said community. Perhaps if you clarified what you meant by that, it would help determine where you would stand as a Brony. Are you talking about stuff you'd see in rated R-films and involving blood and gore? Or are you talking about being violent in safe ways, such as two people yelling at each other as they whack each other with Nerf bats to simply let off steam? If it's the former, that would be very much against the Brony ideals, but the latter would be ok IMHO.

By the same token, there are a number of grim dark stories out there and those authors could be considered Bronies. You could also be pro-violent in one group setting having nothing to do with MLP, but love and tolerance in another that is MLP centric. And then I'm sure there could be a group of MLP fans that sometimes like to RP violent themes but are still generally good natured. So it also comes down to when and where you consider yourself a Brony, much like with being Furry. When I'm at work, or even just out and about, I'm simply "ME". I don't show my furry side unless it's warranted like at a meet or con, but that doesn't make me any less of a fur. You could say the same about being a Brony, so you could feasably consider yourself one even if the setting doesn't call for you to show it.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 11:39:22 am »
Love and kindness :)!

Like Narei said, there's no one way to show it. I have the cutie marks of a bunch of characters on my backpack (check the Pony discussion thread), but you don't have to do that ;)

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 12:19:43 pm »

How can anyone that isn't very disturbed be "pro-violence"?

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 12:25:37 pm »

How can anyone that isn't very disturbed be "pro-violence"?

I think he means 'non-pacifist' :P

Offline dragonfire

• Narhethi The Dragon
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 01:34:01 pm »
where i live, pro-violence is defined as not against war. love and tolerate is an ok thing for me if its around friends, but if you even read my dragon stories, they are very violent.  (im not gonna link them because they arent furtopia appropriate, they have swears and blood so i wont link them here). I guess even my dragon fursona has a loving and kind side. But just because i do have a side of me that likes to see fighting and action, does that mean i cant be a brony? or can i still be considered a brony if i have a violent side?

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 06:20:36 pm »
It's just like any other fandom. There's no real way to 'be a brony'. Do you enjoy watching the show? Then you are free to call yourself a Brony if you desire.

Some bronies let everybody around them know that they are a brony. Others keep it more to themselves. Some write fanfics, draw pictures/comics, make random videos on youtube, or remix/write music from/inspired by the show. Some actively discuss and analyze all aspects of the show. Some get together with other bronies in their area to watch the episodes every week, or just to have a good time. Some go out and buy/collect the toys. Some fill their wardrobe with pony-related shirts. And some just enjoy sitting back and taking it all in.

Being a Brony is whatever you want to make it, and however you want to enjoy the show and community.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline dragonfire

• Narhethi The Dragon
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 07:21:18 pm »
thanks for all the advice guys, it was very helpful to me  :)