Author Topic: Stop-motion?  (Read 4716 times)

Offline Flyntz

Stop-motion?
« on: April 05, 2012, 06:00:37 pm »
Hello, I've recently showed an interest on "stop-motion" animation and I would like know what are the necessary material’s, objects, etc. Now, if there's someone else who is also looking for this type of animation, feel free to PM, I'd like to meet someone who's into this kind of stuff.  :)

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
Re: Stop-motion?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:06:40 pm »
I am recently just getting into animation in general. But I have never heard of "stop-motion" animation. Maybe I have heard of this but called something different. Can someone explain to me what this is exactly?
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:20:10 pm »
I am recently just getting into animation in general. But I have never heard of "stop-motion" animation. Maybe I have heard of this but called something different. Can someone explain to me what this is exactly?

Stop motion animation is an animation style that deliberately uses a low frame rate for the sake of effect.  It's much like watching a series of images strung together into a film at about a rate of 3-4Hz, and it is a style that can be incorporated into many animation techniques, including traditional film and various forms of computer animation.

This is a good example (both when it comes to illustration and when it comes to artistic quality) of stop motion animation.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 06:27:52 pm »
Oh, yes! I've seen this before, but I never knew what it was called. Thanks Yoshi. I haven't tried this yet, as I said I'm just getting into animation. I assume one ay to do this is take a ton of pictures, and string them together with some slight delay between transitions. If you know what I mean. Again, I'm a beginner, so I could be absolutely wrong about this, but that's what it looks like to me. This would take a lot of pictures though...
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Wanderer

• Keep your eyes on the horizon
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:29 pm »
I was into stop motion for a while, suppose i should get back into it. But all you really need, especially for beginners, is a camera, some sort of figure, and a program to help with. It's an easy art and it takes ALOT of patience so i hope your ready of hours on end of picture taking. :D

I would recommend this store. They will have everything you need.
http://www.stopmotionstore.com//index.php

I hope this helps :goldglee:
"Journey for you may never know where the road takes you."-Wanderer

"Tis not the destination that matters, but tis the journey that makes us"- Wanderer

"Destined to travel the roads of time, the Wanderer walks the path with prejudice, ready for the masters of death that lie before him."- Jet

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 12:45:38 am »
Stop motion animation is an animation style that deliberately uses a low frame rate for the sake of effect.  It's much like watching a series of images strung together into a film at about a rate of 3-4Hz, and it is a style that can be incorporated into many animation techniques, including traditional film and various forms of computer animation.

This is a good example (both when it comes to illustration and when it comes to artistic quality) of stop motion animation.
That's not quite correct. Stop motion is a form of animation which is put together from a series of individually taken still images. It has nothing to due with being a low frame rate. The video you linked to would count as Stop Motion, but so would things like: Nightmare Before Christmas, Fantastic Mr Fox, and Chicken Run.

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 02:12:21 am »
DEAR GOD! Could you imagine trying to make a full length movie using stop-motion animation. that would take forever! Kudos to whoever wants to do that. I wish them luck, patience, and endurance. I may do a stop-motion one day, but just a nice short one. I'm not the most patient man in the world.

PLUR

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 06:55:51 am »

That's not quite correct. Stop motion is a form of animation which is put together from a series of individually taken still images. It has nothing to due with being a low frame rate. The video you linked to would count as Stop Motion, but so would things like: Nightmare Before Christmas, Fantastic Mr Fox, and Chicken Run.

Don't forget Wallace & Gromit, or the old California Raisins tv commercials.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_motion
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:57:41 am by Kobuk »

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 12:34:07 pm »
Think of the many Christmas animations wth rain-deers, santa, and snow men. Many of
them used the stop motion animation thing.

If you watch them close you can see the changing of heads or mouths for the different
expressions and talking.  It is very time consuming, and a exacting process.

Nice thing now is with digital cameras, and digital editing most anyone
can do it if they wish. Just takes tons of patience. :orbunny:

oldrabbit.com

Offline Flyntz

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 02:54:00 pm »
Awesome! Thanks guys for helping me out! I couldn't believe how helpful the community is around here!  :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:56:11 pm by Flynksen »

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 03:01:08 pm »

I wasn't aware of that.  Thanks for the clarification.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 06:27:33 pm »
I've taken animation classes at university and learned stop-motion animation and various other animation styles. Here is one of my stop-motion ones. I like using paper cutouts for it personally.

Epic Chickens

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 08:16:03 pm »
Even famous films like the old Star Wars trilogy from late 70's to early 80's used stop motion animation. ;)

Offline Luku

• "Tell 'em I said something cool."
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 02:47:11 pm »
I used to make stop-motion movies with my old toys.  :D

You can use an ordinary compact digital camera. Make sure to get a small tripod too (I've got a little, screw-top tripod about five inches high), in order to keep the camera absolutely still between shots. Some cameras have a remote control, so you can fire off a shot without nudging the camera.

Good things to film are the aforementioned toys (the more poseable the action figure, the better) or clay, if you wanna be the next Nick Park.

Finally, you can use any old cheap movie editor to string the frames together. You'd have a perfectly watchable movie if you strung it together at 12 frames per second. Or even half of that.

Good luck, dude! Try it out and make sure to post it here for everyone to see!

Offline Flyntz

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 12:41:12 am »
Good news everyone,
While taking a few lessons during "Art" at school, I was able to talk to teacher just like a normal conversation, y'know those that generally go like:

Teacher:Hey, Dan how ya doing?
Me:Uhh,nothing really, just letting time pass by faster and faster each day...
Teacher:So I've just heard during your conversation with Eric, regarding stop-motion animation...
Me:Yes? (Now how did she listened to all of that??!)
Teacher: I've done sculpting trough my life, and I can provide a few tips and tricks while sculpting...
Me: YES!!! PLEASE!!!!!  :D :D :D

Now, with the help of my Art Teacher and a few other tools (mostly from the clearance section, I think I'm a little cheapstake  :P) I'll be able to sculpt my dreams!  :) (Not entirely)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 11:53:24 am »
I think one will find that most good teachers are glad to help
their students to some degree. Especially with subjects and
activities that go with the subject being taught. 
In this case "Art"

oldrabbit.com

Offline Alden the Fox

• Species: White Fox
  • Feldwebel
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 11:40:04 am »
I don't know if this is what you mean, but I made this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_vSjvxRqY&feature=g-upl
A gay fox who also reenacts WWII Germany. :P

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 12:48:27 pm »
Nice job Alden.

That's another type of stop motion animation. I hadn't
really thought of cartoons as being that way. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com